ear mites

bean1031

ear mites

Post by bean1031 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 am

Recently my vet said that my dog has ear mites and percribed some ear drops. We have ran out of ear drops but how do we tell if they are gone.

MikeB

Ear Mites

Post by MikeB » Sat May 12, 2007 8:58 am

Sounds like you need another vet check. How did they determin it had ear mites in the first place. Did the vet take a sample from her ear canal and look at it under a microscope? That may be the only way to tell. Call the vet and ask.

wildman

Post by wildman » Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm

A little Ivomec in each ear will get rid of those earmites.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:33 am

Is the dog still shaking it's head, and pawing at it's ears? Also they will have a lot of wax build up if the mites are still there. I had one heck of a time getting my dog cured. It wound up with a bad ear infection, and several trips to the vet to take care of it.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon May 14, 2007 8:49 am

if the dog truly has earmites, then wildman is right, a little ivo mec will clear them up. however, i have yet to seea dog with earmites. ususally it is a yeast or bacterial infection. i see cats with earmites all the time, but no dogs. I am not saying it cant happen, just that it would be pretty rare. However, I understand in Europe it happens quite often. Anyway, to answer your quetion, if the dog is no longer shaking his head, etc, you probably have the problem solved. BUT, the only definiteiv way to know they are gone is to do an ear swab and look under the microscope. Good luck!

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 am

My cat gave my dogs earmites - they sleep curled up together, tho.

Used Dog Dr.'s remedy - 1ml of Ivomec in each ear did the trick.

bean1031

Post by bean1031 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:11 pm

What is Ivomec?

bean1031

Post by bean1031 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:26 pm

What is Ivomec? where do I get it? How much does it cost? Whats the normal dosage for a 45 to 55 pound dog? Do they use it in heart worm fea and tick meds wipworm ect. meds?

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon May 14, 2007 8:50 pm

"Ivomec" is a brand name. It contains "Ivermectin" which is the exact same active ingredient as in Heartguard. Heartguard is sold commercially by vets to prevent heartworm. It will also control a number of intestinal parasites as well. You can purchase "Ivomec" which is sold commercially as a preventative for parasites in cattle and swine, from most farm stores, or online pet supply house that usually sells vaccines as well. The dosage for controlling a variety of parasites in dogs is 1/10 of 1cc per 10 lbs of bodyweight given orally, or about a half of a cc for a 50lb dog.

As for the dosage for ear mites, maybe Dog Dr. can answer that better than I, as this would possibly be administered into the ear canal itself. Cost for a 50ml bottle of 1% solution is usally around $30-40 depending on where you buy it.

Theresa

Thanks, Tom......

Post by Theresa » Tue May 15, 2007 8:46 am

I bought Ivomec - the 1% cattle and swine solution, and cut it with propylene glycol to make a 10% stock solution. Use 1ml of that solution for ear mites et al. I can't remember which company I bought it from, but I had to buy one gallon of the propylene glycol. I mixed it all up and bottled it and used it for years! I still have some mixed up that I will use if the cat brings home the ear mites; it doesn't go bad, not as far as I could tell (I called all the product companies involved to verify this.)