Prisoner

SeventhSon

Prisoner

Post by SeventhSon » Thu May 24, 2007 12:48 pm

So in addition to the round worm issue Maggie has; she “somehow” got her front leg caught in the gate when my wife tried to stop her from coming out front.
She was limping pretty bad at first, but by the next morning she seemed to be doing fine, until I took her out in the field where she immediately began favoring the leg again.
I took her to the vet, and he couldn’t find anything wrong, but wanted to hold off on X-Rays as they would require her to be knocked out.
We are hoping that this is just some type of soft-tissue damage that will repair itself when it has had proper time to rest/heal. So I am tasked with trying to keep this little English Setter ball of fire (she is 7 months old) either in her kennel or on a short leash at all times for 10 days. It has been two days and she is going absolutely BANANAS!
To say this dog is birdie is an understatement. She completely LIVES for birds and all she does as soon as she is out of the kennel is run around at full speed trying to find anything that flies, and it doesn’t help that we have a rooster pheasant in the field behind us, as well as quail.
Does anyone have any tips on making her happy while keeping her from injuring herself further?

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Thu May 24, 2007 12:56 pm

In the kennel, a Kong with peanutbutter is a wonderful treat and keeps them occupied. You can freeze the peanutbutter in there and it lasts even longer, good luck!

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Thu May 24, 2007 1:06 pm

That's a GREAT idea.
Thanks!

MikeB

stuffing the KONG

Post by MikeB » Fri May 25, 2007 11:35 am

Just a little peanut butter, don't stuff it full, that could cause a real digestive mess.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri May 25, 2007 2:39 pm

A cow hoof of a smoked knee bone will keep her busy for a while as well. Good luck with her. Hope she heals up quick for you.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 pm

They really like the peanut butter in the kong toy. My GSP will chew on it for hours. She tore the red one to shreads. So i would recomend the tuff black one.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sat May 26, 2007 9:46 am

The kong trick is working great.
She is still just about ripping my arm off when I let her out on a leash to relieve herself though :lol:

MikeB

Kong Stuff-A-Ball

Post by MikeB » Sun May 27, 2007 9:17 am

Something else to consider it the KONG Stuff A Ball. A very unique dental chew toy you can stuff food treats into and is much more challenging than the standard Kong toy.

The Large or X-Large in Red is plenty tough for most dogs. I have been "hounding" Kong for several years to make it out the tougher Black rubber. That has NOT happened, maybe some day. I have not seen a large dog distroy this toy due to it's design.

See it at:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 0278727117

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun May 27, 2007 6:57 pm

I have sympathy for ya man. My pup was the same way when he injured his leg a few months back. Mine was locked up for about 3 weeks. He injured a major vein in his front leg, and he doesn't like peanut butter or the kong, Lucky me. After about 2 weeks beef knuckle bones came to save the day. Good luck man!