TICKS

Ross IV

TICKS

Post by Ross IV » Thu May 31, 2007 3:55 pm

i am sick of it. frontline whatever. i still find ticks on him. most are dead but holy crap. they are in between the pads on his feet. they are in his ears. they are everywhere. what can i do?
it is so dry right now. i think i read that makes them worse. come on though. the pads of his feet? i never heard of that before.
what else can i do? is advantix better? is garlic better?

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 pm

How often are you reapplying the medication? Are you waiting a day or 2 before the dog gets wet? Do you wash the dog with soap a lot?

I've used Frontline, now I use K9 Advantix; just because it supposedly repels as wells as kills. I live in SC where there are plenty of ticks and I've pulled maybe 2 ticks off of my dog in 2 years...neither were attached, just crawling on her. It seems like the stuff works for me.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 31, 2007 7:45 pm

see if you can find a Preventic collar and use it along with the Frontline.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu May 31, 2007 8:05 pm

We use Frontline topspot. Here in NJ, we have ticks out the wazoo. I've picked 20 ticks of my dog immediately after being out in the field. If I leave them alone, after a while most are dead or dying and fall off.

We re-apply every 30 days, and do not wash the dogs for about 3-4 days after application. Also, check to be sure you are using the right dosage for your dog.

I also treat my field clothes with permanone. It lasts for 5-6 weeks and through several washings. No ticks on me either.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 pm

I had a vet tell me to re-apply every 3 weeks in the summer. I don't actually know if there is evidence that this helps, I just figure the vet knows more about the subject than I do. I wash my dog once every 3 or 4 weeks with shampoo and re-apply that day. She swims 4-5 days a week, but no swimming for at least 48 hours after application. This is what I've done and I've picked more ticks off of me than her in the last 2 years.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu May 31, 2007 11:03 pm

One day a couple weeks ago I picked 7 ticks off me, 1 attached. Only found 2 on my dog, and they seemed to be running around looking for a way to escape. Frontline Plus once a month. No water before 2 days after application.

And, actually, I heard that the stuff would work for 6 weeks but that you're supposed to reapply every 4 (or every month) just in case. I just dose with Frontline Plus the same day I give HeartGard for an easy way to remember.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:56 am

Ayres wrote:I just dose with Frontline Plus the same day I give HeartGard for an easy way to remember.
I do the same thing...makes life easier

gsplvr

Post by gsplvr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Frontline will work on ticks quite well, but it sounds like you are in a hotbed. Use a Preventic collar with the frontline. It will only kill ticks. It is safe to use with Frontline. Also..and here is the biggie..you wrote that you bathe the dog and then immediatly apply the Frontline. That is wrong...you need to wait 2 days after bathing, because..the Frontline is meant to travel with the oil of the dogs coat, it "trans locates" , it has to have oil there to move up the hair shaft and coat the hair with the product. If you bathe and then apply it , it will just stay in that one area and not cover the whole dog. You should also wait 2 days after applying the Frontline to bathe as well. There is also a Frontline Spray that you can buy and spritz the dogs legs real quick before they go in the field. I also use it on my pant legs in the hopes that as the tick travels across it on its way to my scalp it will die first!!!! The dosage of the active ingredient in the Frontline is the same in the cat version. as the 129 lb. dog version. It is the liquid vehicle in the tube that distributes the product over the circumfrance of the dog. You could dose a cat with the large dog stuff and all he would get would be oily. It works diff. than other insectacides. Actually to save money we tell muliple cat owners to by the large dog size and suck out 1/2 cc per cat and they get 4 doses out of one vial for their cats. Saves them lots of money. Look at the boxes sometime, read the ingredients. A cat vial is .5cc and a small dog is .67 cc. But the dose of Fipronil is the same in all the sizes. I think a large dog vial has like 3 cc or something like that. Its a good product, and its safe. It only affects insects. Not mammals. geez i should be a salesperson for this stuff. I take home the spray and kill everything in my house with it. Spiders, bees, ants, flys...i hate bugs. Good luck. Try stuff. Ticks are bad.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:40 pm

Preventic collars are the only tick collars my vet thinks are worth having. Seems like he reccomends it for demodex too, but I've never had that issue...

Ross IV

Post by Ross IV » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:40 am

lots of good stuff. thank you everyone. i am going to try to the preventic collar first and see what happens. it seems like this area is out of control. a guy that works for me told me his brittanys are covered also and he keeps them in a kennel and uses advantix. so we will see.
thanks for the tip gsplvr.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:01 am

I don't know you situation, but we also treat the yard and surrounding fields (we treat about 3 acres) if we can afford it. I use "sevin-5" if the weather is too dry to have rain, or standard yard treatment, can't remember the chemical, right before a rain as they say to wet it down after application...and keep the dogs and kids off it until it totally dries out again.

The ticks still come in on the edges but it helps alot, especially for us! I personally must have blood that is a delicacy :wink: I think they tell stories to their tick babies about me...

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:28 am

Anyone have any experience with some of the sprays such as the ones that Bio Spot and Frontline make? I always thought the Preventic collars were not to be used with the spot on topicals. Good to know that their fine with Frontline.

Ross IV

Post by Ross IV » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:00 pm

maybe this info will help everyone. i have about 300 acres. it is too much to spray as there are a lot of other things going on here, cattle and crops.
we are about 14 in behind on rain.
i noticed that all of the bugs are worse this year though. we even had a late frost, but i think the rain is causing more ticks and a lot of fliers, but the mosquitoes are not nearly as bad.
that is all.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:09 pm

I would just go with what Dog Dr and the others said and get a Preventic collar to supplement your Frontline applications. That or stay out of the fields for a while, not much else you can do.....

http://www.petshed.com/products/item2811.asp

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:25 am

I've had friends recommend Bio-spot over Frontline for being more effective this year. I would worry about overloading the dog with toxins by using both a collar and the spot on chemical. Am I being paranoid?

Ross IV

Post by Ross IV » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55 am

well i put the collar on him saturday morning. it works really well. unlike frontline i do not even see any ticks on him anymore. other than him hating the collar he is doing really well. so thank you very much.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:52 pm

about the only way to hurt the dog with frontline is to pour an insane amount in a tub and shove the dog under the water line drowning them in it.