Acetominophen and cyanuric acid in Innova (I feed it!) Argh!

Theresa

Acetominophen and cyanuric acid in Innova (I feed it!) Argh!

Post by Theresa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 am

This is more for the dog docs and nutrition experts, but I appreciate any imput from the regulars here!

The food apparently WAS contaminated - or a batch was - and NO recalls were issued. I read about it on this board: http://itchmoforums.com/index.php?topic=1028.0

I do feed this food, and noticed the 'contaminants' the other folks found - a piece of kibble here or there: I didn't think anything of it, thought it might be like how I can get a rotinin in a box of elbow macaroni - so I tossed out the pieces I saw but didn't feel there was cause for alarm.

And then I read that board and find out folks had problems - and infact I had those same problems as well, but I just thought it was normal for my dogs to want to eat alot of grass, and that they got giardia from all that grass hence the loose stools.

The contamination was confirmed by an independant lab testing that a person had done: http://www.petfoodrecallfacts.com/lab.html (You have to scroll to the bottom to read the particular part.)

OK, so I understand 'things' can happen and I don't plan on switching my feed or sue anyone. What I want to know is, is there anything I should do now in terms of watching for my packs health? The batch that was contaminated was fed in May. I strongly believe that my one female that I had bred had conceived but she appeared to have a 'falsie' ie no pups on her due date - and in hind sight this batch of food had been fed to her during her pregnancy, so I really think she may have resorbed her litter due to these toxins, so I am also wondering if she will be good to go on the next cycle or if I should be watching out for stuff.

Thanks for any insights!
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:59 am

All I needed to do is read a little of the material you linked and I didn't need anymore to know where these people were coming from. When they start refering to the people working at Menu Feeds as pet murderers and every company as someone who doesn't care about the customer, I think that says it all. In my mind at least, 0 creditability.

Sorry Theresa but I can't take part of the info as truth when I see how bias and untruthful other parts are.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Ezzy, I hear you about the one board - I heard about an Innova contamination on Craig's List- I followed the link to that board, and found the link to the lab results - the second link I posted.

I understand you find the folks posting on the one board to lack credibility, but its a bulletin board and people there, like people here - post all sorts of stuff we can both take or leave.

Can you say the same about the independant testing lab? (That is rhetorical - I am not interested in a debate.) That part I think is very legit. The symptoms that I and a few others have seen in our dogs from feeding the product is very real.

Do I need to take any special precautions with my animals? Does anyone know?
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:30 pm

Theresa,

If you need to take any precautions the feed would be recalled. I don't recall there ever being a serious problem with a product that is being discussed in the open that FDA isn't aware of or hasn't taken action on.

Of couse this might be the first one but it sure wouldn't be a concern of mine.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Thanks....

I think it was a one time thing - if such a thing could be. Obviously no company intends for something like this! But the acid is a pool acid - a chlorine stabilizer (I think). I have contacted my holistic vet to see about any sort of liver cleansing or organ support my critters may need.

I think Innova is a good food - always had good results - so I don't intend to go RAW or switch. I just want to make sure I am doing every thing I can to support my dogs bodies to deal with this low level poisoning is all.

I e-mailed my vet - will see what he says. Maybe its nothing at all. But I want to be ask to be sure. I had one dog that ate chocolate cookies and almost died - we ended up at the emergency vet and she had water coming out the rear end for the better part of 2 days. Funny thing - the E-vet tried to give me antibiotics; I asked WHY, as it was a poisoning, not an infection! They said 'good point' and didn't push them on me! Back with my regular vet - the holistic guy (he does both wester and holistic techniques) he said we needed to boost with a multi vitamin for a few days to replace all that was lost with the 2 days of the runs! It would not have occured to me to boost with a multi-vitamin, nor did the other vet prescribe it, but it sure made sense! So that is the angle I am trying to take - what can I do to support the dogs after the fact?

I'll report back what my vet says...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Vitamins can be hard on an already upset GI tract. When I was pregnant and had to take the big multivitamins for moms to be, I was already sick and every time I took one is was back up in about 15 minutes. My doctor ended up reccomending children's chewable vitamin 1/2 tablet with food 4 times a day to be gentle on the stomach.

At the clinic we don't usually give anything extra other than GI meds and anitbiotics, Antiviral, or whatever to treat the cause. FLUIDS end electrolytes are the big issue when the stool is very runny. Then we may give a very easily digested food for a few days before reccomending anything else. When all is back to normal then maybe vitamins would be good.

However on the holistic side, we have a mast cell tumor case that has been treated in every concievable western medicine way, and finally is responding to Noni juice (sp?) but the dog has to drink alot every day. But that tumor is nearly gone!
Amazing

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 am

Mountaindogs, I once got a bottle of multi-vitamins and the same happened to me - came right back up! I asked my chiropractor WHY (they sold vitamins there also) and he said that some vitamins have a coating on them that some people are sensitive to! We used Applied Kinnesiology to find a brand that was OK for me - whoda thunk?

I got reply from my vet who said if the dogs are acting normal, they are OK -whew!

I do find that I am now scanning my kibble for impurities now. I found a few more - but not sure what the black chunks were! I soaked the few kibbles that had the black chunks in water and tried to figure out what they were - parts of grain, maybe?

Sigh - I would hate to switch foods based on things I imagine that I see...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:44 am

Pricey but you can always send the contaminated kibbles off to be tested by private lab...