Anal Glands

Addict

Anal Glands

Post by Addict » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:40 am

I just picked up my Dave Walker book and was suprised to find out that dogs need to have their anal glands purged. It is supposed to contribute to "carrying his tail erect and looking more stylish." Also it is necessary for their health.

Does anyone have this done? Do you notice a difference with how high they hold their tail?

Addict

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:49 am

Um.....

Everything I know about anal glands but was afraid to post....

Fluid in the anal glands is normal - that means the normal condition of a healthy anal gland is to have fluid in it, to be expressed when the dog defacates. IF the anal glands do not express when the dog defacates, then they are blocked - and blocked anal glands lead to severely impacted anal sacs that can rupture: icky pooey.

If you don't see your dog licking under its tail all the time or scooting all the time, chances are the glands are not blocked. In some cases you can actually see them express while the dog is defacating, and in some cases if you scare the beejeezus out of a dog they will express their anal sacs like a skunk: icky pooey!

I can speculate that if a dog had blocked anal glands it could be uncomfortable enough that the dog would carry its tail low - but never heard of a dog carrying it higher due to empty anal sacs. My guess is that 'fact' in the book is no longer current info!
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:53 am

Addict
If you do it wear gloves :D
I have never done it but heard of people doing it.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:29 am

These are not actually glands, but sacs filled with a nasty oil secretions that, as previously stated, normally empty with bowel movements. I've been grooming dogs for over 28 yrs and RARELY need to empty them on client dogs, when neccessary, it's mostly on older over-weight small breed dogs on bad diets(ie, Kibbles-N-Bits, soft & moist foods, etc). I have never had to do any of my own dogs.
Here is a good article I give to clients that explains the what's and why's, as many believe it should be part of routine grooming. IF there is a problem, especially impacted/infected sacs, this should be done by a vet as they can rupture & in most cases the dogs need a course of antibiotics to clear the problem up. Dogs that just have minimul problems can be done at home w/o a vet, but you should have a good idea about the difference between clogged/impacted/infected first.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/behavio ... 31104a.htm

Addict

Post by Addict » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks for the informative post Zodiak.

This would explain why my first lab would scoot. I checked him out for worms and parasites but he was clean.

Addict

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Scooting is normally a sign the dog is trying to express the glands. A good firm stool is the normal way this occurs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:45 am

I've done it before and yes you want to wear gloves. Vet said that it is not necessary and probably not wise to express the glands unless they are specifially having an issue with them. As Ezzy said, they are normally expressed naturally a little each time they have a bowel movement.

Stuff is RANK !! though....