Female heat cycle

stinkbelly

Female heat cycle

Post by stinkbelly » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:05 am

I have never had a female that wasn't fixed before, but I do now. I don't know anything about their heat cycle, so hopefully someone could clue me in.

What age (on average) do they experience their first heat cycle? How often does it happen? What are the signs that it is coming soon? How long does it last? What do I do? Anything else is appreciated.

I don't know if this is breed specific, but if so, I have a Deutsch Drahthaar.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:22 am

The first heat is usually sometime between 9-15 months. They usually occur every 5-8 months. You should notice swelling of the vulva prior to bleeding. Average length is 23 days. All you really need to do is keep her away from males. False pregnancies are pretty common and nothing to worry about, but you should be aware they can happen.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:43 pm

I can only add, if this is a house dog, you may notice "seperation anxiety" behaviors - barking, chewing, urinating in the wrong spot. She may be 'needier' and clingier than normal. The first cycle can be all over the charts- may start earlier or later, last longer or shorter -but they generally do regulate in to a predictable pattern.

I make a note of everything on the calendar - when the vulva looks pinker, as if its swelling, first day of red, color changes in the flow, last day of flow, days she is receptive to males - all this may come in handy if you do decide to breed from her, so make notes each and every cycle and you won't be sorry - JMHO!
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:12 pm

You may also notice that she urinates more often

GL

Post by GL » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:27 am

On the money info here I think!

Goldy is now 7 Months and I've been noticing some changes.

Tail is tucked tight! She is licking more then usual and peeing alot.

Seems to want to stay very close to me and has a look of something is wrong in her eyes. She is deffinately not feeling her usual playful self!

Could this be doggy PMS? LOL

I don't see any visual changes yet but based on what you all have said I suspect my little girl will be a lady soon.

Thanks for the great info.

Gary

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:52 am

I have seen females come in a first cycle as early as 6 months and as late as 20 months

They can vary in pre heat...
but for the most part increased urination and what most would call goofy behaviors
males may start to want to sniff the hind end where the females may become a bit snappier about it

GL if your gal tail tucked tight and licking a lot and acting like something is wrong....Keep watch cause there might be
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GL

Post by GL » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks Knine but think you got cut off!

"Because there might be" WHAT???

Gary

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:07 am

Because there might be something wrong, is what knine was saying.

Those are also signs of such things as the early stages of pyrometria. It would be unusual in a young dog, but possible. Just keep watch, and if the dog seems in distress without signs of spotting (drops of blood), then a trip to the vet would be in order. Spotting would be the sign of the start of the heat cycle.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:09 am

GL if your gal tail tucked tight and licking a lot and acting like something is wrong....Keep watch cause there might be
As a follow through.

could be her starting to comein to heat..but if she is tail tucked and super needy like she is not feeling good it could be a urinary infection or something else which maybe causing her excessive aggitation
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GL

Post by GL » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 am

I started noticing signs just yesterday!

I am not willing to say something is wrong, just different.

Ezzy says a week comming, a week in and a week going!

Does this mean within a week I should start seeing spotting and swelling?

The only signs I'm seeing so far is the tail is tucked and she wants to go out alot more often to urinate and seems to want to stick right by my side more then usual. She always keeps that area clean but appears to be a bit more concious the past day or so in that regard. She is sleeping a bit more as well and not chasing her toys like she typically is this time of the day.

Gary

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am

Actually the first signs is spotting of blood then swelling of the vulva after about a week to 11 12 day depending on the female The bleeding turns to a lighter color at this point she will be receptive to being bred this stage this stages again depending on the female can last from 3-5 days on average then after which the body then starts to revert back swelling comes back down and discharge stops

So the week prior to spotting one may notice some slight sligns again depending on the dog but the vulva may begin to look a bit different

GL

Post by GL » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:24 am

Thanks Knine!

I did see some blood in a urine spot in the snow last week and immediately checked her out and found nothing. Figured it was from a deer who frequent the yard because there was no sign at all in Goldy. Deer around here are just finishing up with the late estrus.

I'll keep an eye out on her condition but I am expecting that which comes natural around this point in her life.

I certainly hope there is nothing out of the ordinary as the lord knows this little gal has had a tough time so far. With that said, she has also been an absolute pleasure and small package full of love.

Gary

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:35 am

When the spotting first starts it is a dark red color and if you ahve her inside you will want to diaper her as it wil spot up carpet furniture floor

Some females can get pretty nasty lookng during this time...one of bob's Pointer she looks like some one stuck a softball back there she swells up a lot

GL

Post by GL » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:40 am

OH GOODY! I can hardly wait! :(

Gary

stinkbelly

Post by stinkbelly » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 am

Ok I think it is time. I think?

I noticed last night that the area around the vulva was red and swollen. Pretty much the area in a one inch thick semicircle from her hip toward her belly around to the other hip is swollen and red. It could be that she was worked really hard this weekend, but I am sure it is her heat becasue she is signed up for a breed test in one month.

She has acted off for the past month. She chewed some stuff up for the first time in her life. Also her tits have gone from nothing to large tits that are about 1/4" long and 1/8" in diameter.

I keep reading about discharge and spotting. Is this truely discharge (leakage) or is it mixed in with the urine?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:22 am

On my bitch the discharge drainage is obvious and comes from the vulva which looks quite moist at times. There was one post with one line about diapering. If you don't know, you buy a cloth dog diaper holder, maxi-pads are adhered inside and & changed often. When the dog is ready to be bred it will stand. Stroke or hold your hand on their rump and if they hold their tail to the side, look out. I'm sure you also know if there are any stray males within a few miles they will start hanging around marking everything they can, mailboxes, the front porch, your front door, the sides of your house, etc.

stinkbelly

Post by stinkbelly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 am

It is definately happening. The swelling is double what it was 24 hours earlier.

I am a little confused. Ok. I am a lot confused. I read in different places that the first sign is spotting and then somewhere else that the first sign is swelling. She is swelling, but not spotting. Has the heat cycle began. Would you start counting days or wait until the spotting. I am worried about scheduled training and tests coming up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:31 am

You better just hang it up for about three weeks. She will start to spot probably in a few days. The swelling always comes first. It wouldn't be fair to the other dogs to try and work her with them unless they are all female. She will be giving off scent even though she isn't really in yet. Greneral rule is 1 week coming in, 1 week in, and 1 week going out. That is not completely accurate but close.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

stinkbelly

Post by stinkbelly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Is diarrhea associated with the heat cycle? Izzy has had diarrhea two days in a row while in her crate during the day.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:58 pm

My bitches never had diarrhea associated with their heat cycles but I've only had a few bitches. The heat cycle does place stress on the bitch and stress can cause flare-ups of latent issues.

Normally diarrhea is a sign of an issue within the dog’s digestive track.

In rare cases the bitch’s cervix (the connection between the uterus and the vagina) is closed. No discharge can pass and the bitch can become deathly ill before disease is suspected and diagnosed.

Obviously redness and swelling anywhere can also be associated with an infection.

If the dog begins to appear ill or you need the piece of mind have her seen by a vet.

stinkbelly

Post by stinkbelly » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:23 am

She is spotting, so hopefully all is well. Hopefully the diarrhea is gone.

birddogdoc

Post by birddogdoc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Bitches usally come into estrus at 8 to 14 months of age. They may cycle every 6 to 8 months but it really depends on the dog. Watch for the vulva to swell and start to bleed. The whole cycle can last 14 to 21 days!

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:31 am

My 8 month old GSP just came into heat. This is my first female and I noticed all of the symptons that have been mentioned - needy, clingy, frequent urination. I just noticed the bleeding last night when she jumped up in my lap. I had a pair of old coveralls on at the time. I was going to take her to a Pheasants Forever youth hunt tomorrow at a preserve but obviously that's out. So for my clarification, how long can I expect this to last now that she is bleeding?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:01 am

Plan on three weeks but it may be a little shorter. I mean giving off scent, not bleeding that long or even standing for a male.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:22 pm

Good to know, I bought some of the doggie diapers today, what a pain in the butt those are. When she had one on she wouldn't leave my side, she wouldn't eat, she had that look in her eyes like how could you do this to me. I took it off for her to eat and they we played with a tennis ball for a while. She was bleeding all over the basement so outside she went.