G3 Sport combo or Sport basic

jmas

G3 Sport combo or Sport basic

Post by jmas » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:52 am

I found a good deal on the tritronics Sport Combo G3 and the Sport Basic G3. I will be using this to train my new Brittany. The difference between the two is the basic has a buzz button and 10 intensity levels. The Combo has a tone button and 20 to 30 levels of stimulation. So my question is which of these two do your perfer and why? Do you like the buzz or the tone, and what are yall using the buzz or tone for, (as a warning before a shock or to turn the dog or something else). The price is the same.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:30 am

I personally like the TT Sport Combo better. Reason is you get more levels of stimulation. This will give you more flexability in training your dog. Good luck

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:23 am

I have the Combo. I like the test feature. A tone is sounded in the test feature. I can sound it and Libby responds to the tones, sometimes, and there's no need for stimulation. We're both still learning with the e-collar though.

I like it.

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:28 am

I agree with the Sport Combo..Please contact me if you would like a price quote..

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:54 am

JMAS,
If I may be so nosy, I noticed you had a Sport Basic G3 for sale a week or so after this thread. Did you not like the Basic? What did you end up getting.

I am going thru the same thing - BAsic vs Combo. I am just not sure all of the extra combinations of stimulations on the combo will make that big of a difference.... I mean, isn't 10 continuous and 10 momentary enough?? Would dog NOT obey on level 14 but will on 15?

I also like the simplicity of the Basic, that those three buttons always mean the same thing. I would venture that 90% of combo users put it on one mode anyway and never change.
G

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:24 am

I would venture that 90% of combo users put it on one mode anyway and never change.
G
I do that, but I had three choices to decide from. I keep it on the third option so as to have an audible test sound. I use the sound as a stimulation as well. I'd go with a few bucks more and get the combo. I like it.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:13 am

The Basic has a sound option too - but described as a buzz rather than tone.

So on your Combo if you are in the T/C/M Mode, you get the tone+10/10 settings, which is equal to the Basic's Buzz+10/10. If you are in any of the other modes, you lose the tone but pick up the 20 sensitivities.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 am

I have the G3....it does a fine job...I rarely ever have to go over a 3 most of my training methid helps a dog to learn what the cue of the collar is and thus i get to stay on the lower levels when needed. The tone and buzz I personally do not use and actually the buzz feature has way more stimualtion value then the lower levels of e stimualtion.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jmas

Post by jmas » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 pm

gar dog

I come across a close out sale on both models so I bought both. I only needed one but the price was so cheap that I went ahead and bought both since they only had one of each.

I decide to keep the sport combo since it had more levels and the tone. I talked to a few people that said they liked the tone better than the buzz on the basic. They were using the tone as a warning before the shock.

My pup is only 5 months old so I havent used it yet. Which brings up another question. When are most trainers starting to use the e collars on dogs?

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:04 pm

You are going to want to let your puppy wear the collar anytime you are out of the house (leave the handset at home). The puppy needs to get used to the collar and associate it with fun stuff (going outside, running, finding birds, etc.) before it is ever used for stimulation. Once your dog has learned basic commands 100% (you have to be sure that the dog knows what is expectd) you can start to use the collar some in the yard. You will want to use it in conjuction with the pinch collar (or what ever collar you used to work on basic comands) to start. Then you can progress on to using the collar in the field. The biggest thing at this point is to let the puppy learn to like having the collar on!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:08 pm

I plan on having mine wear it for a few weeks before any stimulation is used. I don't want her to be collar shy, but think of it as part of her equipment. She is 6 months and about ready in my opinion. I wish I had gotten one a month ago and had been letting her wear it up until now.

PS - on the Upland G3, can the beeper be turned off with the remote?

I bought a book specifically geared to Brittany training at LCS and it has a good chapter on e-collar training in conjunction with the cord.

thedarrenpeters

Post by thedarrenpeters » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

gar-dog wrote: PS - on the Upland G3, can the beeper be turned off with the remote?
Yep, I believe that is what the top one is for, I think i'm going to spring for that one...

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:46 pm

There is one here on GDF for $415 by the way. but it is the Upland Special G2 EXP - normally $519.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 pm

it dosn't matter how long a dog wear a collar a collar shy dog comes from over stimualtion compiled with no plan on what a cue or stimaultion is for

I start teaching dogs cues from the first time i walk them on a leash..tapping motions mean walk wth me quartering in fron tof me and come to me

i do this with no words

like reining a horse a then when i go to a command lead for the methid i ahve chosen i continue the same patterns then when i go to an e collar when i depress the button most of the time they understand what they are being cued for and if the new sensation which is the lowest level they don't over lay i will back it up with what they do know...and in a very short time you can have a dog responding to the e collar just like you have an invisble leash on them
when i am moving then the dog needs to be quartering or turning with me or walking with me and if i stand still they are to come to me...
again i teach this guide this behavior on a leash from the first time i put a leash on..tiny cues with a baby pup ..no drill sessions just getting the basic idea down
then when the command lead fits they start to learn things with just a tiny bit more control working in to where if i am standing talking to someone they stand there next to me or cue to walk with me cue to move a head cue to quarter and then I stop and then cue them to come to me

simple taps simple hold till movement has stopped
release of tension on the leash lead checkcordd is very important :wink:

so basically what i am saying it doesn't matter how long you put the collar on the dog isn't going to just magically understand what the stimualtion means with out prepping them

and most the first things they use the e colars for is stop and don't do that type training...and the low levels of stimuation the e collar when cued and introduced that way becomes a lighter touch then a check cord
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.