Dog running away

Elkhunter

Dog running away

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 am

Whenever I go exercise my pointer, he hunts for himself, runs off and then I spend my time looking for him. And I mean he just runs anywhere he wants, my shorthair keeps track of me and stays in front. Whats a good training technique to keep him hunting to the front but also keeping an eye on me and where I am at. Thanks

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:29 am

Well me and you are kind of in the same boat. I have two new 8 mo. old pups and when I turn them loose to run, I have one dog that will stay with me and hardly ever get out of sight, but other dog will take off and sometime runs completely out of sight and does whatever he wants. So what I am doing now is getting them out of the kennel seperately and putting them on a checkcord. I make sure they stay with me and do not go anywhere. While they are on the cord I work on the here command and when they obey they get a treat and petted on. Hopefully with some time using this exercise I will be able to program them to stay with me and to come to me when called.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:32 am

First off I would stop lettung him run free..every time you allow this your training him to do it more

I prefer the Rick Smith method...

go back to yard work and start getting the dog to be a partner with you...it will take time to get him there ...but until he is with you and working with you ...I would stop letting him hunt and run for himself

yelling here whne he does this is also telling him words mean nothing

another reason I like Ricks methods it gets a dog to work with you with out words first the dogs starts to learn to cue off of you

but which ever you need to establish your the leader of the pack before he will work with you at 1 foot much less 100 yards or more out :wink:
pick a method don't bounce around till you have a method down

confusion will only lead to frustration
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:42 am

Sell him to a trialer or move to a place with bigger fields!

Sorry!!

Get him into birds, plant birds, put him on a checkcord, and get him hunting. Some dogs are not running off but hunting, getting bigger and bigger, as they don't find birds. Use the checkcord in the yard to work on HERE or COME and stop allowing the free running.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:57 am

He knows here just fine. We have worked on that alot. He responds to it, he is very hard headed, I have to increase the stimulation alot sometimes it seems to get him to obey. And I know he knows what "here" means. When we do yard training and I say "here" with very little stimulation he comes running every time. Out where there are distractions though he just gets very stubborn. He is 18 months old and I think the main problem is he runs in a straight line, and runs very fast. So he basically hauls "bleep" in one direction before I know it he is 500 yards away. What is the Rick Smith method. Can you give me a brief description. I have put him on about 15 birds. But we have such few wild birds. I just recently got access to some pigeons. So I will be working on him more in the future. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:09 am

Elk Hunter: Your dog does not respond to hear well, if you use any stimulation at all. You should not need stimulation if he knows it well.

The pigeons planted in a pattern closer to you each time out will start to help pup learn how to hunt. He wants birds and it just so happens where dad is the birds are. Right now he is running.

If you go back to basics and start working on the check cord with the birds and reenforce the basics and work on come around drills etc. your dog will start to mature. Cooperate

You have got good advice from the others. A shy timid dog you let go and do what they want until they are confident. A strong bold dog you control and mould. You won't loose the drive but you will gain the cooperation.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:20 am

What he needs is to go to new areas where your doing the same commands..and letting him know that here means here wherther your in the yard at the park or in the field

work it with a check cord

I will bet that on the check cord when your out of the regular training that he is pulling and dragging instead of quartering easily
basicaly until you can go any where and him working with you instead of pulling and dragging you ,,,he is already at that moment hunting for himself even though he is attahced to a lead

thus it shows up out in the field having to use higher stimualtion

same with the check cord having to cue harder with the cord

www.huntsmith.com
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:18 pm

DITTO :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:59 pm

I will try that this week. I really like the dog, he looks good, lots of stamina. He is young, only 18 months. So I will work on those other things and get him following my lead. Thanks

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 pm

From what you desrcibe, it doesn't sound like he is hunting at all. More like a bolter.
Does he find birds,often? Does he hold point so you can approach and flush? Does he retrieve within a few feet of you?
It also sounds as tho he has no respect for you and does not connect you with finding birds.
Has he ever taken out birds and if so, what does he do with them?

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:55 pm

He finds them, but he wont hold point. He will point when we set it up with a CC and walk him into the bird. He is getting better and better each time. I am just comparing him to my GSP who was so easy to train, stood on his birds from the very beginning. Now I have my hands full with this out of control, more energy than i am used to. :) He looks really good on point, and will stand when he is on a CC, without he runs in and we launch the bird. So I think just more birds and repition wll help. He can find wild birds, he just flushes them though. He is getting better and better each time I take him out though.