Pup's biting and chewing

Nebraska

Pup's biting and chewing

Post by Nebraska » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 pm

My 9wk old GSP, Roxy, is a little pistol and loves to play fight with my 10yo and 14.5yo GSPs. The problem is that my 10yo has no problem putting her in her place (fast) but my 14.5 is so old she just doesn't do anything to defend herself so Roxy will bite down on whatever flap of skin (ear, jowel, belly, etc.) she can get a hold of and hang on which is really painful for my older dog (and me)!! Right now I'm litterally walking/jogging by my old dog and pulling the puppy off after giving a stern "NO BITE".

Same goes for her wanting to chew. We have lots of toys/bones but she has some very happy puppy teeth so I'm spending a lot of time giving the command "No Chew" and pulling her off of items she shouldn't be chewing and trying to get her interested in other things.

I realize that pups are going to do this but if you guy's have some good tips/methods for correction on "No Bite" and "No Chew", I'd really appreciate hearing what they are so I can shorten the learning curve as much as possible..... :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 pm

You can cut her education in half if no bite the only command you use since both are biting to her. The rest I think is just part of having a puppy. If the problem is too much for the older dog I would crate one of them for a while.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:57 pm

At first I was just telling her "NO" which, after doing a little reading, I gathered was incorrect since a blanket command for all bad/annoying behavior would end up confusing the dog. The author recommended using more specific commands like "No Bite" and "No Jump" so I was trying to make it as clear as possible but it really was PITA to use two commands for such as similar behavior. If "No Bite" is fine for both, I'll definitely start there. Thanks Ezzy.....

I don't want her to associate pain with me but should I give the command and also correct with some kind of pinch or and just pull her away??

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with a little pain. It helps them realize it isn't as much fun when it hurts. &0% positive and 30% negative is about the best way to teach.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:38 pm

Reverse the roles nipping and biting even a mother dog will correct a pup

I take my one hand put two fingers in the mouth my thumb under the jaw the other hand i will put behind the head for support I will let them pitch a fit struggle belly ache and whine in discontent till they settle down if they bite down gently press down on the jaw just enough to stop the biting action when the pup takes a deep breath and relaxes keep the hold

this is not done in anger no words are said and not to physically harm the dog in any manner...

when the dog relaxes roll your finger back and down for the release...
give a second then palce you hand in front of the pups face if the pup offers to mouth your hand again repeat
if the dog sniffs and licks or turns away that is a sign of acceptance that your the boss.
do not make any other issue out of it...this very excersise can be help in the future also

as for the jumping here again No words...just when you come in and the pups comes excitedly gently take your foot and sweep the back legs so thatit brings the front feet down..ignore the dog until the dog is showing you desired behavior then go to the dog to say hi

if the dog is really out of control here again gently grab both front paws DO NOT over stretch the pup just grab the front paws firmly do not make eye contact but hold the paws up where they are up but none of the pups weight is being is being lifted and hold the paws firmly so it is uncomfortable and keep holding till the dog wants down again NO WORDS No Eye contact

once the pups is down walk away do something and when the pup is relaxed and behaving in a manner which you like then go to the pup and reward by saying hi with some petting

it will take some perstance to rewire the pup...but you will find it is possible to have a well mannered hunting companion
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:46 pm

Great info as usual.....I really appreciate the input and don't know what I would've done without this site. Thanks!! :D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:26 am

I disagree with the need for any two-word command. A dog learns through one sharp command: No, Here, Sit, Whoa, Down, Back, Fetch, Hold, Drop.

No is the first command a dog ever learns. Don't make it harder than need be. No corrects ANY undesired behavior. Jumping on you, chewing, biting, barking; on sharp command, NO, stops it. I'd say it's far, far, more confusing to a dog to be taught two commands than one.

I can't think of any time, ever, I've taught a dog two commands with the lone exception of his name and HERE if you are working multiple dogs. For instance, "Jack, Here". That's why they retrieve to their name, not fetch, so you can send individual dog's with a single command.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.