training plans

JordiLa

training plans

Post by JordiLa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:40 am

Hey Everybody,

I am new to the site, just got a nine week old GSP! Just wanted other peoples info on how they started training the dogs. Also any information of gun dog supply websites, books etc....please let me know.
If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with a bird in its mouth! (william maxwell)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: training plans

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:46 am

JordiLa -

Couple of books that might help:

Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long
Hunt Close by Jerome Robinson
Best Way to Train Your GunDog(Delmar Smith method) by Bill Tarrant

Some additional informative reading:

Wing and Shot by Robert Whele
Pointing Dogs Their Training and Handling by Earl Crangle
The Burnt Creek Method by Jim Marti
Point by Jim Spencer
Speed Train your Gun Dog by Larry Mueller

There are more books but really, all you need is one of the first three that I mentioned.

There are as many methods for training a bird dog as there are trainers. That is partly because not every person has the same personality, the same facilities, the sametype of dog or the same needs or expectations of the dog. Most of the various methods work just fine for the purpose intended.

How you go about training your dog really depends on the answeres to three questions...

When you are done training...what do you want your dog to be able to to?
What kind of facilities/equipment do you have available or can you afford to train your dog?
What do you currrently know about training a bird dog, or any dog, for that matter?

I will say this...you very first question was exactly the right question... you asked about a training PLAN. To successfully train a dog you need to have an overall goal in mind and a plan to reach that goal. Each time you go out to train you need to have a goal for that day and a plan to reach that goal, and perhaps a backup plan in case plan A don't work out so good. If you have a plan you know what you must do, how you must do it and perhaps most importantly...when you are done.

RayG

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Here are two books I like.

The Bird Dog Training Manual by Dave Walker and The Best Way To Train your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith method. You can see both of these at www.coonriverkennels.com Good luck with the new pup!!!!!!

jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Del Mar Smiths book is good but I would recommend using the "Perfect Start, Perfect finish" DVD series. It is expensive but in my opionion ABOSOLUTLEY worth the money. Not only do they show you how to start and train your dog to a finished gun dog but they use dogs at various stages in training to show you what to do when things don't go as planned. I believe there are 5 dvds in all with about 6 hours of trainig instruction.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:57 pm

The book by Larry Mueller is what I used and it was very helpful. The important thing right now to remember is do not expect too much of your dog too soon and do not try and make it grow up too fast. Everything should be all fun reward training until at least 6 months or so of age. Expose your pup to plenty of birds early but dont restrict him much if at all on birds this young. Let him learn on his own. Dont let him catch birds. Focus on the basics right now. Here, his name, a bit of whistle work and teach him to use his nose.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:44 pm

Since IMHO reading dogs and knowing what NOT to do are two of the most important things you need to know as soon as possible, I would tell you to find a mentor, either a good amateur or a pro who is willing to have you hang around and/or give you lessons on training. Getting your hands on as many dogs as you can is about the best way to learn to train dogs. Sure, read books, watch videos, but you can't learn to train by reading, you must do it. Problem is...so many stumble around read books and go to training, often creating problems that need not be created. For example, you read birds, birds, birds, and so you put your dog on a ton of poor flying pen quail. Birds won't fly, dog catches a bunch, or sees too many and gets bored, all of a sudden you have a flagger that's flushing birds. Find a teacher!!

But, still, read Crangle, Roebuck, DELMAR, Wehle, videos by Miller, Nahorn, Hann, Smith.

GO SLOW, don't overdo. Not too much running in the heat, not too many birds, not too much retrieving, not too much swimming, don't let pup get bored. 5 minutes of proper useful training is far better than an hour of useless work. Short sessions will make the dog learn faster.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm

TrueBlu Shorthairs wrote:Since IMHO reading dogs and knowing what NOT to do are two of the most important things you need to know as soon as possible, I would tell you to find a mentor, either a good amateur or a pro who is willing to have you hang around and/or give you lessons on training. Getting your hands on as many dogs as you can is about the best way to learn to train dogs. Sure, read books, watch videos, but you can't learn to train by reading, you must do it. Problem is...so many stumble around read books and go to training, often creating problems that need not be created. For example, you read birds, birds, birds, and so you put your dog on a ton of poor flying pen quail. Birds won't fly, dog catches a bunch, or sees too many and gets bored, all of a sudden you have a flagger that's flushing birds. Find a teacher!!

But, still, read Crangle, Roebuck, DELMAR, Wehle, videos by Miller, Nahorn, Hann, Smith.

GO SLOW, don't overdo. Not too much running in the heat, not too many birds, not too much retrieving, not too much swimming, don't let pup get bored. 5 minutes of proper useful training is far better than an hour of useless work. Short sessions will make the dog learn faster.
Good post! As to the quote in BOLD..... "less is more"! Leave pup wanting for more after every session.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:06 pm

Check out the Puppy Development Video from http://www.huntsmith.com

At 9 weeks, you have time. right now just focus on housebreaking, crate training, and basic obedience. Spend a lot of time playing with and socializing the dog with others.

And spend a lot of time on this forum.

Good luck,
Gary

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 am

Ray, Marti's "Burnt Creek Method" must be out of print now, as I saw a used one going for $60+ the other day. Durn shame, as his early stop-to proved one of the most useful training philosophies I've found.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:55 am

Resources, man, resources.

Find places (note plural) to train and birds to train on. Wild birds, pigeons, good-flying pen quail. Build a bird house for your training birds. Etc.

Greg J.