Help getting coop started

Addict

Help getting coop started

Post by Addict » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:41 pm

Well I decided the only way to have enough birds is to build a pigeon coop. There are only two in my Grandma's barn so they will be gone soon. I was wondering if anyone in the northern part of Utah would be willing to help me get my coop started by selling me a few birds. There is an old coop that doesn't need much fixin up at Grandma's that she said I could use.

Thanks,
Addict

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:20 pm

Just went and looked at the coop and there are two of them! The other one is for quail. So now I need to look at those too. I have heard they are hard to keep though, so maybe I'll just stick with pigeons.

Addict

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:01 pm

I don’t think there to hard to keep, just sometimes hard to raise…

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:10 pm

http://www.shotgunsports.com/breeders/butah.htm
Addict here's a site that might help you.
Also Grant has a article on how to catch pigeons.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Just go into the barn about an hour after it get black out with a spot light. I find somthing over a million candles works the best. Shiene it in the eyes and have a friend catch them with the net. If you do this quietly the other shouldnt spook. If they fly away quickly turn off ur light and the pigeons should land. This is what I find anyway. As for quil I hear they are actually easy to keep. Just do your reaserch.

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:48 am

Check KSL.com for pigions. (Not much right know)Get a couple of good pairs... one for you and one for me! I also have a contact that is trying to get me some so I will pass the info on to you too(if and when). Remember stay with the darker birds NO WHITE!!
Quail.... They are pretty easy to keep but a pain in the south side to raise. When we have NSTRA trials I get a couple dozen extra that we all fight over.... so this is another reason to come out this fall and see some trials. If you are going to raise birds stick to Chukars.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:22 am

Ya Chukar are the best. Smelly birds that are good to eat when u have to start killing over your dog.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:13 am

Addict
If you get down my way I have a few breeding pairs I will give you, but they are mostly white. They have been having mostly red babies though.
I got a lady that is getting out of the pigeon racing business and said she would give me about 40 of them. I should get them in about 2 weeks so if anybody needs any let me know. If not I guess I will have a good shoot :D
Last edited by Dirtysteve on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Addict

Post by Addict » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:18 am

Thanks guys!

I'll have to look at what modifications will be needed to raise chuckar. The quail shed is kind of like a johnny house. I was planning on building a recall pen and releasing them often in my field then hauling them back at night. Grandma has a couple of neighbors that might not approve if it gets to ripe with chuckars.

Dirtysteve,

Thanks for your generous offer! I'll shoot you an email.

Addict

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:43 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:Addict
If you get down my way I have a few breeding pairs I will give you, but they are mostly white. They have been having mostly red babies though.
I got a lady that is getting out of the pigeon racing business and said she would give me about 40 of them. I should get them in about 2 weeks so if anybody needs any let me know. If not I guess I will have a good shoot :D
Are the birds all white????? Not a pigion guy so I must ask what is Red birds??? If it is a light brown and turn dark brown count me in on some!
Did you get your dogs yet?????

pear

Post by pear » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:15 pm

Dirty, if you get a couple good pairs extra, could they be shipped?
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:20 pm

Tak

Red pigeons can be different shades but most are a light red with dark red markings. Some can have white flights .

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:26 pm

I have a few reds, I love 'em. They are the first back to the coop and the best mamas. Seem to be real smart or instinctive.
brenda

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:30 pm

dirtysteve- I would be interested in a breeding pair if this lady is giving up her breding stock.

TAK why not have any white on them?

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:22 am

I watched a dog in a trial point a white bleached out Coke cup, sitting under a bush. I overheared a accomplished pro say that he worked that dog on white birds.....
In the past I would put a hunters orange streammer on my Chukars and Quail to go catch latter. Sounds good to save birds but when your trial field gets survayed looks bad when a dog points a post and a ribbon!
More of a personal pref than anything...... also a little white is ok with me too. I think most mine are all Grey Bars???? or blue bars??? Dark Grey with black or Dark blue markings.

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:31 am

pear wrote:Dirty, if you get a couple good pairs extra, could they be shipped?
Pear, I am checking on the shipping myself. i sold a pup in Ca and the new owners dad tagged along and just so happends to be a pigion fancier. He told me that he would check if he still could send birds out to my address rather than a 6 hour round trip to and airport....... Last he said that there is getting to be so much regs/rules that it cost more than it was worth.
I will let you know

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:30 pm

TAK
Most of the birds I'm getting rid of are white or white, red checked or white,blue checked. But they have all different colors of babies, some red, blue bars and some blue check.
I'm only getting rid of a few pairs right now.
When I get those from that lady I will keep a few pairs to breed and get rid of the rest. If you want any I will save you a few.

Pear
Yes they can be shipped but I have know idea how.
I got my first few pair from a guy that is a big racer here in Utah.
He sends birds to Vegas every year for some big race.
2 years ago he won a pile of money then sold the bird for hundreds of dollars ( not sure on exact amount).
I still have one of his original cocks that he said was out of his best breeding. He made me promise that if I got rid of it that it wouldn't go to another racer.
He follows blood lines in pigeons like we follow in dogs...kinda funny

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:35 pm

Casper
When I get them and see how many she really has, she thought about 40, I will post it. Where you at in NV?
I have family close to Wendover so I could get them to there and save you a few miles.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:58 pm

They can be shipped through the post office. Believe they will furnish the boxes but am sure you will pay for them. I have a friend that ships pigeons all over the country and I am sure they go parcel post.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:54 pm

dirtysteve
Im near Reno nut will be heading out to ealy near the Utah border in about 2 months we could hook up and kill some blue grouse :wink:

yes all birds can ship USPS priority easy to do just costly 8 birds $60

emae

Post by emae » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:38 pm

ok--forgive me for sounding stupid, but why not white pigeons?? I have about 12 (6 new ones) and all are homers and not plain barn pigeons. I have 2 blacks, 8 light colored w/black/grey specks and 2 peach colored ones. . . . .

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:15 pm

emae wrote:ok--forgive me for sounding stupid, but why not white pigeons?? I have about 12 (6 new ones) and all are homers and not plain barn pigeons. I have 2 blacks, 8 light colored w/black/grey specks and 2 peach colored ones. . . . .
I'm just picky!
Last edited by TAK on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:17 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:Casper
When I get them and see how many she really has, she thought about 40, I will post it. Where you at in NV?
I have family close to Wendover so I could get them to there and save you a few miles.
Steve you missed it man! Tell Casper we will deliver the birds come Opener of the Chukar hunt!

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:20 am

Casper
Come on over and we'll shoot some grouse but it will cost you a chukar hunt if TAK and I ever get over there.
TAK I got some pretty good spots out on the desert so this fall let's get after it.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:22 am

TAK
Do you know anybody that snake breaks a dog? I want this new pup I'm getting done. The way my luck is going lately I need all the insurance I can get.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Any one of you are welcome to hunt chukar with me I will be out near winemmucca for the opener and throught most of the season :wink:
But I will be in ely most likly for the grouse opener. september 1 or the first weekend dont know when they will open it yet

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:06 pm

Dirtysteve,

There are a couple of vets in the ogden area that just got the new snake vaccine made by Red Rock Biologics. I will look them up again if you would like. It costs $25 the first time and then they need an annual booster which also runs $25. The dog must be four months old or older. I was looking into it because I have seen a couple of rattlers up around here. The vet said that If the dog is bitten then it should still be treated like an emergency. He also said that the dog is usually just in for observation but that is alot cheaper then a few grand if the dog isn't vaccinated.

Addict

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:17 am

Addict
Please do check into that for me. I will have to ask my vet also.

Addict

Post by Addict » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:05 pm

Dirtysteve,

Hey I called and it looks like the nearest vet to you would be in Layton. Fairfield Veterinary Hospital has them and they are only charging $20 for the shot and $20 for boosters. Their number is 435-544-8800.

I called a distributor in Payson but you had to buy a whole flat of 25 doses to get them there.

Addict

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:27 am

Check with this guy. he is the Utah Chukar Federation Pres. It was just the other day that he was offering the Snake shots at a cut rate for members?????? To my understanding it is some good stuff???? Travis Proctor.... travis.proctor@nebo.edu

Off hand I do not know of anyone for sure. I do have a friend that has done it many times with great success(from Arizona) but he told me he needs a rattler to do it!

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:32 am

Casper,
I think I will take you up on that offer come hunting season. I would offer a good pine Chicken hunt if I could but i have never taken the time to learn to hunt them...... I did however talk to a guy that said they are at there peak!!!!!

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:35 pm

OK, I have just been on the sidelines reading posts on this forum, but now you guys have said the C-Word -- Chukar!! I am always up for a good chukar hunt, just don't hold it against me that I know TAK!

Rut

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:54 pm

RutCrazed wrote:OK, I have just been on the sidelines reading posts on this forum, but now you guys have said the C-Word -- Chukar!! I am always up for a good chukar hunt, just don't hold it against me that I know TAK!

Rut
Rut Pick a date and lets go see how the Nevada birds taste!

ward myers

PIGIONS

Post by ward myers » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:01 pm

TAK wrote:I watched a dog in a trial point a white bleached out Coke cup, sitting under a bush. I overheared a accomplished pro say that he worked that dog on white birds.....
In the past I would put a hunters orange streammer on my Chukars and Quail to go catch latter. Sounds good to save birds but when your trial field gets survayed looks bad when a dog points a post and a ribbon!
More of a personal pref than anything...... also a little white is ok with me too. I think most mine are all Grey Bars???? or blue bars??? Dark Grey with black or Dark blue markings.
TAK I SEEN A DOG POINT A ROCKING HORSE IN THE WOODS
or should i say back a rocking horse LOL :D

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Ok guys I said you are all welcome but dont overwhelm me with guns and dogs. One at a time (exept the opener could care less then). I can only take so much criticisam (sp?) toward me and my half a$$ dogs. I might be running away with my tail between my legs :D

Tak if you like you can take the short drive to Ely and get your feet wet on the pine chicken best tasting bird I have found. :wink:

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:59 pm

Casper wrote:Ok guys I said you are all welcome but dont overwhelm me with guns and dogs. One at a time (exept the opener could care less then). I can only take so much criticisam (sp?) toward me and my half a$$ dogs. I might be running away with my tail between my legs :D

Tak if you like you can take the short drive to Ely and get your feet wet on the pine chicken best tasting bird I have found. :wink:
Half what kind of dogs??? You forget that you have some of the same blood in your hound as mine!!!!!!
OK you must be a heck of a cook also if you can make pine chickens taste better than them Chukars! I don't know how it is done, but a bird that eats wild grasses can taste better than a well feed corn field Rooster! Just a fact!

TAK

Re: PIGIONS

Post by TAK » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:04 am

ward myers wrote:
TAK wrote:I watched a dog in a trial point a white bleached out Coke cup, sitting under a bush. I overheared a accomplished pro say that he worked that dog on white birds.....
TAK I SEEN A DOG POINT A ROCKING HORSE IN THE WOODS
or should i say back a rocking horse LOL :D
Around here we have what they call gated pipe. It goes along the ground with water let outs ever two or so feet. In the fall there is places that you can not see it and then there will be a cut down that the white just pops out. Would you know it just about every dog will fall for it once or twice before it relizes that it is not a dog! Even funner is one will back it and then the rest will and when the first looks around because of filling stupid turns and see's the other backing an then backs it!

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:33 am

Addict
Thanks for the info