Stakeout questions

Vandal03

Stakeout questions

Post by Vandal03 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:40 am

I've got a 4 year old and a 5 month old. I never really used the stakeout for the first dog and I haven't really done it with the new pup, but I'm thinking of starting it to try some new things with my training routine.

Is it too late to start the stakeout on the new pup? Also, would there be any benefit to using the stakeout for the older dog, maybe for whining at the back door or pulling on the leash?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Stakeout questions

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:48 am

the chain gang can help a lot with dogs...specially when you handle it as a part of the training for a dog to relax...
little things like only approach the dogs when they are calm ..when they bounce around like idiots do not advance

another thing i will also do fr dogs that jump on you I can crowd them back easier on the chan gang also helping to teach them to stad with 4 on the floor

I also like ti for when i do session I start there and end there so they can absorb what just transpired and let them relax then come back to another small session .

it is where training a few dogs is actually better ...work on let them reflect work another

i also like to ahve youg dogs staked out to watch the smaller area while we do point and back they get to watch and then get their own session
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:19 pm

My 3 yr olds (one male, one female) were on a stake out for the first time in their lives this past field trial season. They did just fine...no barking, no temper tantrums.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Just put them out there and let them have a little temper tantrum. Ignore it they will be fine. Make sure the collars are nice and snug so they can't slip them over their heads.

One problem that I have with my older bitch on a stakeout. She refuses to go to the bathroom. She won't soil the area where she is confined because she is such a clean bitch. She won't even go potty in a run or on concrete. I have to take her off of the stake every few hours or so to go. For this reason I could never send her out for field trialing. :cry:
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Where do you pick up a good stake out or set to use for a chain gang? I've seen a few but they always look kind of cheap and the last thing I want to do is have my dog break loose when I'm not paying attention.....

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:14 pm

You can buy one or you can make one. I put one together last night. It takes about 10 minutes and about 20 dollars. The stakes can be found at your local Lowes or Homedepot. Buy the size chain you feel comforable with and have at it. I you do not have a welder or access to one, I would suggest getting the 4 foot stake to slide the end rings over.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 pm

3Britts wrote:I you do not have a welder or access to one, I would suggest getting the 4 foot stake to slide the end rings over.
I don't have a welder. What 4 foot stake??

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 pm

I bought my chain gang and heavy duty stakes from Lion Country Supply.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:27 pm

I fabricated two chaingang stakes from two pieces of cold rolled steel, 3/4" diameter and about 28" long. No welding required.

If I were to do it again I would use 5/8" steel rod instead. 5/8 " is plenty for a 7 dog chaingang.

I threaded one end with a manual thread cutting die and screwed on a machine nut. Then I slipped on two heavy galvanized steel washers that just fit on the steel rod and whose outside diameter was larger than the rings on the end oof the chaingang. I then upset the threads with a chisel so the nut would not move. About 1/2 " of the rod is above the top nut and hammering it with a sledge has mushroomed it to the point where those nuts wll never move.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Sometimes I wish I was a man. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:51 am

Sharon -

All things considered you are probably better off, just as you are.

If I were a woman I probably would have figured out that I could go to Home Depot and buy a length of threaded rod, have them cut it to size for me(for free)and not have to do all the work and while i was right there get the correct nuts and washers. That's what my wife would probably have done. :P :oops:

RayG

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:07 am

Nebraska wrote:
3Britts wrote:I you do not have a welder or access to one, I would suggest getting the 4 foot stake to slide the end rings over.
I don't have a welder. What 4 foot stake??

Lowes and Homedepot have different lenghts of 1 inch thick metal rods used for cement work. Theses rods work very well for stakeout chains. Have the store cut the chain to lenght and than attach two large metal rings to the chain. These rings slid over the metal rods after the rods have been hammered into the ground. The individual leeds should be attached about every four feet. I measured mine from the middle of the chain. Leeds should be 18 inches. I used three foot rods as my chain is welded to the rods/stakes. With the rings, you simply slide them over the top of the rods.

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:40 am

Stainless steel stakeouts for those with a deep pocket:

http://www.eastbaylodge.com/stakeouts/index.html

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 pm

I say the earlier the better. I have a GSP that is 6. I had never tied him out before last year when I started running UFTA and NBDCA trials. Needless to say he didn't like it so much, he doesn't bark just whines and will not just relax. He also doesn't go to the bathroom on a tieout. One time I was at a field trial we tied him out (I had one of those cork screw tie out stakes) anyway I was off doing something when I was on my way back I rounded the corner just in time to see him jumping into the back of another guys new yukon dragging a few feet of chain and the corkscrew tieout. I just about shat'em. I don't know how he got that thing pulled up out of the ground but needless to say I don't use those tieouts anymore.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:27 pm

smoothbean wrote:I say the earlier the better. I have a GSP that is 6. I had never tied him out before last year when I started running UFTA and NBDCA trials. Needless to say he didn't like it so much, he doesn't bark just whines and will not just relax. He also doesn't go to the bathroom on a tieout. One time I was at a field trial we tied him out (I had one of those cork screw tie out stakes) anyway I was off doing something when I was on my way back I rounded the corner just in time to see him jumping into the back of another guys new yukon dragging a few feet of chain and the corkscrew tieout. I just about shat'em. I don't know how he got that thing pulled up out of the ground but needless to say I don't use those tieouts anymore.
That is the problem with a single dog stakeout. The dogs tend to tug or pull on the stake. A multiple dogs stakeout chain works much better because the dogs get stimulation from the movement of the other dogs. A strand of three dogs will calm each other.

okiebirdhunter

Post by okiebirdhunter » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:32 am

I used one inch sucker rod and cut 4 feet off each end. Works great. All the rod thats left can be made into stakes by welding a cap of some kind on the end.. I just haven't got around to it yet.

John Bellah