What are the Odds?

Sandy Meador

What are the Odds?

Post by Sandy Meador » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 am

Went by a guy's office this morning to get a permit to deer hunt on his company's land and just was BSing with him about hunting. He said he had heard I had gotten a pointer and was looking at getting another - I told him yes, that is true. He then proceeded to tell me about an 80 acre tract of land he had bought and then clear-cut half of it and select cut the remaining 40 acres 6 yrs. ago. He was keeping the understory clear in the select cut portion and had created wildlife plots on the other 40 acres. He said he had leased the farm (400 acres) that adjoined his property and controlled the hunting access. Then he wrote out a hunting permit for ALL of this property and told me had had 5 or 6 coveys of wild birds!!!!! Told me to hunt all I wanted! I told him I'd just like to train on the properties, I didn't need to kill the birds! He told me to do what I wanted - train and hunt.

Man, what luck! And it is only about 10 minutes from my house. Also, there are several wet areas that the woodcock use on the migration. I cannot wait!!!!!

Bird Dog 67

Re: What are the Odds?

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am

I'm leaving now.......................call with final directions!

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 am

That is a real gem. Don't forget to give him a little thank you gift, it goes a LONG way in getting that slip signed next year. I always do something around Christmas time for land owners. Doesn't have to be huge just lets them know you appreciate there gift to you. Finding good productive land to hunt is getting harder and harder every year.

Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

kalel

Post by kalel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:28 am

Man am I jealous. I live in Utah where the upland hunting really stinks. Worse than that, I have no connections. I would buy that guy a great christmas gift.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:59 am

Besure to show him your appreciation and offer to help to maintain the property That is AWESOME
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:19 pm

We had a guy like that.We were looking to buy some land on the Brule River in Michagan and would would bring him some fresh WI cheese curds,V-sausage,smoked Phez and some REALLY nice cigars.

We now have that cabin ......

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Sandy Meador wrote:Went by a guy's office this morning to get a permit to deer hunt on his company's land and just was BSing with him about hunting. He said he had heard I had gotten a pointer and was looking at getting another - I told him yes, that is true. He then proceeded to tell me about an 80 acre tract of land he had bought and then clear-cut half of it and select cut the remaining 40 acres 6 yrs. ago. He was keeping the understory clear in the select cut portion and had created wildlife plots on the other 40 acres. He said he had leased the farm (400 acres) that adjoined his property and controlled the hunting access. Then he wrote out a hunting permit for ALL of this property and told me had had 5 or 6 coveys of wild birds!!!!! Told me to hunt all I wanted! I told him I'd just like to train on the properties, I didn't need to kill the birds! He told me to do what I wanted - train and hunt.

Man, what luck! And it is only about 10 minutes from my house. Also, there are several wet areas that the woodcock use on the migration. I cannot wait!!!!!
Please give us your lottery number picks ASAP. Thanks. See you at the bank.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks for the replies. This gentleman has allowed me to goose and blackpowder hunt on his properties for about 14 yrs. now. I found out several yrs. back that his wife loves saltwater fish so every time I surf or offshore fish, I make sure I go by and deliver fresh, packaged fillets to HER! Flounder, specs, spanish, kings, triggerfish - she loves them all. He teases me a little about it but what comes around goes around. I've gotten him out on quite a few hunts but he is slowing down some now. I'll talk to him about helping him out on the tractor and in the fields. I went by Sat. for a quick scouting trip and it looks very promising. Lack of rain this spring/summer has hurt, but several lespadeza and milo patches look really good!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Wow!! Tip-toe when out there and pick up empty shells :)

You are one lucky dog! Especially the 10 minutes from your house part!

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:48 pm

That is very lucky! I have only found one piece of land here in VA that has wild birds on it, quail anyway. Maybe we will have to get together for some training?

brandon

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:00 pm

This story just keeps getting better and better! Last night around dinner time, my cell phone goes off. It was the guy that gave me the bird hunting area/permission. He had a friend whose bottom lands had flooded from the Hannah rains on Sat. and there were geese in it Sun. afternoon. Would I like to bring some decoys and a dog and try it? Well... We met up around 5:45 and headed out. Got all set up and kicked back. We got to talking and he asked me if I hunted snipe, cause there were a bunch of them on the property he is letting me hunt! He said he was down around the farm last week with his grandson and jumped 8 or 9. I couldn't believe it. As far as the goose hunt went, he had to be in his office by 9 so at 8:30 he went to get his truck while I p/u decoys. We had seen plenty of woodies and a few mallards and teal - but no geese. As soon as we had everything in the truck, here came 2 strings of honkers. Oh well... he said he'd try to clear his schedule for Wed. morning - if I was interested in trying again. :roll: Oh well, I guess I'll have to go...

OKChris

Post by OKChris » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 am

That is awesome. I would really like to come rub your head for luck! :lol:

Chris.