Real Birds

DANFAM

Real Birds

Post by DANFAM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:34 am

I have a 16 month old lab that will retrieve anything I throw, except real birds. He loves to hunt and does a great job. He will flush a pheasant and I will shoot and down the bird and he will run right over to it and nose it around but will not pick it up. If I pick up the bird than he wants it. I have tried throwing the dead bird for him to retrieve but he still wont pick it up and retrieve it. What should I do?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Real Birds

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:56 am

I'd learn to force break him and force him. If you don't want to do that, start with wings on bumpers he loves retrieving and work up from there. First wings on dummy, then dead quail, dead pigeons, then clipwing pigeons, dead pheasant, dead duck and live pheasant, live duck. I'd also quit throwing him plain bumpers while he's learning to handle birds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sandy Meador

Post by Sandy Meador » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:50 am

What I have done in the past with a pup/dog like this, get your a pigeon or quail - trim the flight feathers so it can flap but not fly. Have the pup out and toss the bird down in front of it. Let him catch it, carry it around, play with it - all the while you are praising him. Take the bird from the pup. Let him forget about it for a little bit - then do it again. If he doesn't injure/kill the bird put it up and use it again tomorrow. 2 or 3 days of this usually cures the problem. Good luck.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 pm

my brittany was the same way, until..... we hunted with a freind that had 2 good retrieving setters. once my britt figured out those setters were gonna pick up his bird, he started scooping them right up and bringing them to me. he has been retrieving ever since. try to get your dog some competition and see if it helps. otherwise, force fetch would be the answer. good luck!

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:15 pm

DANFAM wrote:I have a 16 month old lab that will retrieve anything I throw, except real birds. He loves to hunt and does a great job. He will flush a pheasant and I will shoot and down the bird and he will run right over to it and nose it around but will not pick it up. If I pick up the bird than he wants it. I have tried throwing the dead bird for him to retrieve but he still wont pick it up and retrieve it. What should I do?
See thread "Training a Springer Spaniel, I have ?'s".... I've typed up an article (not sure who wrote it) regarding Bench Training Basics for retrieves.... Springers & Lab training is along the same lines with a few exceptions..... hope it helps.... :)
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby