When do dogs mentally mature?

nowicki2005

When do dogs mentally mature?

Post by nowicki2005 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:26 pm

I think that I remember reading somewhere that brittanys are mature mentally at 1.5 years old and labs at something like 3 years. Is this true? What is it for other dogs?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: When do dogs mentally mature?

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't put much stake in those numbers.
Depends on the dog.
I've seen young derby dogs ( field trials) win shooting dog stakes with tremendous maturity and CH written all over them.
I have a 7 yearold who can't find a cookie on the carpet. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:28 pm

1st and foremost depends on the individual Dog

then toss in the breeding some lines mature slower then others

then add that some breeds are more known for slower maturing then others

basically you have to take the individual dog and then accept what that dog the breeding and the breed has to work with as it matures and work with it :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:04 am

Not only depends on the dog, but on about a dozen other variants foremost amongst them one's own interpretation of maturity. Is a retriever inherently "mature" at the age it begins competing in all-age stakes in field trials? If so, the average age is 5+ years. But I've run them in open stakes before they turned two knowing they weren't necessarily "mature" but could take on the stakes just by dint of having been trained for it. I've got an 8-mo. old debuting in derby next week that mentally *and* physically resembles a stick dog, but loves her work and is capable of it. Does that give her maturity? No, her immaturity equates to having enthusiasm to burn. Is a spaniel mature when it's steadied to flush, shot and fall? That has come as early as 6 mos. and a MH title not long afterward, but the dog needed three more years to "mature" as I interpet it. Or is maturity attained only when a dog's biddable afield all day knowing how to pace itself whilst hunting? Or do you let them acquire "maturity" as do the Brits and not hunt over them or let them handle birds till they're 2 years old? Or when they can sit quietly in a duck blind with anticipation and attention, or can relocate themselves on a runner with your confidence that they won't crowd the bird and put it up? Really a rhetorical deal.

MG

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:56 am

I say 4-5 years old for most dogs
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:17 am

What is the definition of "mentally mature"?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:27 pm

ezzy333 wrote:What is the definition of "mentally mature"?

Ezzy
Well I just remember reading it somewhere and thought it was interesting in the age gap. I guess mentally mature would be a generalization for a breed much as when your 18 years old your legally an adult. You can no longer be considered a juvenille and are assumed to have the mental capacity to handle any situation.