WHAT DO I DO?!!

jsc11700

WHAT DO I DO?!!

Post by jsc11700 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:20 pm

I had my dogs out for their first chukar hunt this weekend and everything went great.... until we started shooting. I spent all summer training, introducing birds and also doing proper gun introduction. There were no problems this summer shooting around my dog, until saturday. I now have a gun shy pup and am at a loss as to what to do. I immediately took my pup back to the truck and didn't shoot around her the rest of the day. I am thinking about just not hunting with her this year because I don't have the time or the knowledge to correct this issue. Would it be in my best interest to send her to a trainer now so they can fix the problem or is there a way an amateur like myself can use to help correct it?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: WHAT DO I DO?!!

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:26 pm

How many people where shooting? Your pup may be having trouble with the multiple shots, if there's more than one shot per bird. I would need more info about the scenerio when it started to happen and then what she did in reaction to the shots.

Doug

jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Ricky,

There were two of us shooting, probably a total of 4 shots in a row, (something she is not used to...)

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm

You need to take her back to the beginning of her gun conditioning and see what happens. Start out exactly like you did when she was a pup and see how she reacts. If she doesn't mind it then move up in noise level like you did before. When you get to the big gun stage then take her hunting with just you and her ONLY one shot per bird, even if you miss. Some dogs need to brought along slowly. Do this the whole season, only you and the dog.

If she shows signs of gunshyness with the little guns.....well that's a whole nother can of worms. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Some times dog training is 3 steps forward and two steps back!! If you experience problems, backing up in your training program is usually what is needed.

Doug

jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advice! I will give that a shot and see what happens.