WHY STEADY TO WING AND SHOT??

fuess

WHY STEADY TO WING AND SHOT??

Post by fuess » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:00 pm

Just a question from reading the thread posted by "First Dog".

If you only hunt with a dog, no testing, do you still desire STWS, or will you, can you tolerate the dog that breaks on flush?

I am not saying one is better than the other, personal preference, just checking with the field as to thoughts!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Fuess

luke0927

Re: WHY STEADY T OWING AND SHOT??

Post by luke0927 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:04 pm

for hunting i would say Steady to Flush is really all thats needed but STWS would also help on the dog not rushing in an maybe busting more birds that did not flush....you don't want a dog jumping in on birds or up at birds and you have some idiot hunting with you and then he shoots your dog

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm

for a PERSONAL hunting dog i think the cost benefit would generally advise against a solid stws dog. for a GUIDED hunting dog stws would aid in the dogs safety on a somewhat regular basis. i know who i let hunt around my dog and what their standards of safety are, not too many guides can say the same about all of their clients. don't get me wrong, i think it gives you an advantage in either situation, but for an average hunting dog i don't think it is needed.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Have seen a dog shot breaking and chasing a low-flying bird. Have seen one of my own dogs jump 8' in the air and appear in my sight picture. I don't want to hunt with a dog that isn't steady to the shot.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Consider muzzle blast and noise. A dog that moves with a bird flushing is more likely to be out front when subjected to the shotgun blast. IMO the dog holding steady to wing and shot is more often behind the hunter when the shotgun is fired. One might theorize this could impact a dog's rate of hearing loss.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 pm

For close to forty five years I hunted over dogs that wee staunch(went with the flush of the bird). Never needed any more than that.

Now that I am trialing...all my dogs are STW&S becuase that is what is expected and needed to participate.

If I were to do any more guiding, I think I would want my dogs to be steady or at most...break at shot.

If I quit trialing, I will probably still train my dogs STW&S, mostly because it is easier for me to do it that way, but I seriously doubt if I would require them to stay that way 100% of the time.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm

It looks so good to have a dog steady to flush, wing, and shot but that being said, you'll find more down birds if the dog goes at the shot or fall of the bird. They should stay steady through the flush to mark the bird, but then the quicker they get there, the more pheasant you'll recover. In my opinion anyhow.

I used to keep the pups broke to flush, shot, and fall, but no more. I'd lose to many birds and, quite frankly, it was too much of a pain in the butt during hunting season. I like to relax once in a while too.

I still keep them perfect in summer training, but they kind of revert to breaking on shot as hunting season proresses. Especially when we're after pheasant.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm wit' George Bird Evans, who once wrote something to the effect of, "Having had a steady dog, it is not something I would want to do without." Even putting safety concerns aside, there's much to be said for not adding a running dog to one's sight picture when birds take wing.

(While I used to buy into the notion that a dog leaving the starting gate with its birds would recover more cripples, my experience, often in literally side-by-side comparison of breaking and steady dogs, has been the contrary.)
Last edited by Rick Hall on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:14 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Have seen a dog shot breaking and chasing a low-flying bird. Have seen one of my own dogs jump 8' in the air and appear in my sight picture. I don't want to hunt with a dog that isn't steady to the shot.
x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Neil Mace

Re: WHY STEADY TO WING AND SHOT??

Post by Neil Mace » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:26 pm

I do not find it any harder to train a dog STWS than to be staunch, in fact my dogs rarely break after I get in front of them, it is a respect thing. I often hunt with dogs that are not steady, and that is not a huge problem, although as said, they often get their retrieve stolen.

Now my dogs are not 100%, not in hunting nor in trials, so perhaps my way is not the best. But it works for us, we win some, hunt a good deal, and have fun. The dogs seem to take pride in being steady.

Those that loose a lot of birds to a steady dog might need to shoot better or work more on marking, I just don't find it a problem.

I do have a promblem with delayed chase on weak flying birds that flutter down at the shot, unless we go a long way off before we release, they tend to loop back for the bird. For that reason, I run mostly wild and pre-release trials. If I were to run many drop down bird trials, I would have to stop hunting my trial dogs so much.

Neil

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 am

Some of it has to do with the birds you hunt. When I hunted Prairie Grouse (Sharptails)many times the dog would go on point, I'd walk in to flush the bird and one or two would get up and I'd either hit or miss it, reload my gun and have more birds go out. If a dog was allowed to break or chase after the flush it would chase up all the birds that were either spread out feeding or chose to hold tight. Having a dog broke to wing and shot has allowed me to shoot more birds.

This can be said for wild pheasant too. When a bird takes to wing well ahead of a dog and the dog sees the bird and chases and subsequently pushes all the remaining birds into the air you will see the benefit of a dog steady to wing and shot as well as steady to wild flush.
Tom

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:40 am

I have to agree that stw&s is a must. It only takes one shot to kill the best dog you have ever had. Why take the chance.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 am

I started steady to w/s/k because I thought it was a beautiful thing to watch a dog done completely. Since then I have one friend that shot his dog and killed it and have seen many instences where handlers were shooting birds right off the nose of a dog chashing. To close for me.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 am

When you talk about steady to wing and shot, are you including steady to fall?

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs
"where the BIRD says "whoa"

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:50 am

Gordon Guy wrote:Some of it has to do with the birds you hunt. When I hunted Prairie Grouse (Sharptails)many times the dog would go on point, I'd walk in to flush the bird and one or two would get up and I'd either hit or miss it, reload my gun and have more birds go out. If a dog was allowed to break or chase after the flush it would chase up all the birds that were either spread out feeding or chose to hold tight. Having a dog broke to wing and shot has allowed me to shoot more birds.

This can be said for wild pheasant too. When a bird takes to wing well ahead of a dog and the dog sees the bird and chases and subsequently pushes all the remaining birds into the air you will see the benefit of a dog steady to wing and shot as well as steady to wild flush.
A lot of folks suffer the misconception that STWS came into practice with the advent of field trialing, but it's origin goes back to muzzle-loading days, when hunters didn't want their dogs flushing additional birds before an empty gun. In those days, dogs were taught to "charge," meaning lay down while guns were being charged with fresh powder and shot, before being sent to retrieve or hunt on.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 pm

So that's where the expression "who's in charge" came from referring to labs, chessie's & their owners? :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:26 pm

Personally, I think the hard part is getting them steady through wing. The rest of it just take a little patience on your part.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:33 pm

I have a quick question... Why would anyone advise against STWS?( assuming that means wing, shot, and fall) For any category of pointer, meaning guide dog, meat dog, etc..

I can understand the concept of having a slight better chance to pick up a cripple, but that sounds like a human error, not a training indifference. :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:19 am

Higgins wrote:When you talk about steady to wing and shot, are you including steady to fall?

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs
"where the BIRD says "whoa"
IMO Steady is STEADY. What is with all this wing/shot/fall nuisance.

Aesthetics, Safety and Performance are all enhanced with a STEADY dog. Examples have already been provided for each count.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:34 am

I always find in amazing how many people claim their dogs to be steady throughout, but when I see them in the field, where are they? I watch the hunting shows and they are laughable. I don't think I've seen a dog on them completely steady. At the shooting preserves, same thing. You see dogs merrily chasing the birds from field to field. I think there are not as many dogs steady to wing, shot, and fall as people would try and have us believe.

Now, I'm NOT promoting letting a dog chase, nor letting one go at the flush. That's dangerous stuff. But quite honestly, if a dog breaks at the shot and will return promptly on the whistle, I don't have a problem with that at all. That dog will also, without a doubt, retrieve more poorly hit pheasant than a dog steady throughout.

I think that how steady a dog is is also a product of the TYPE of bird hunted. Quail, grouse, and woodcock are all very easy to keep a dog steady on. Pheasant is the most difficult. Those big cackling cocks springing from the cover unnerve the most experienced of dogs.

For those that are having trouble steadying a dog, you'll also find that if you always circle the dog and approach from the front, it will be easier to keep the dog steady.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:49 am

I certainly wouldn't try to have you believe that there are a lot of steady dogs. My experience in the field tells me that the majority of pointing dogs fellows try to hunt with are not staunch, let alone steady. That does not negate the advantages of having a steady dog for those of us who can and do.

As to your retrieve theory - whatever.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 pm

When folks talk about "steady" dogs losing more cripples, I can't help but think they're refering to half-steady dogs that are still looking over their shoulders figuratively, if not literally, to see if correction is coming, rather than paying attention to business.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 am

Im novice in all aspects but in my mind when i get to that point i would be ok with my dog breaking on the shot. For those who are trained to stay steady through the shot what do you guys command for release? and when do you release right after your last shot?

-Randy
Randy B

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:50 am

Most use a tap to the head to signal OK. I don't like walking back to the dog to release it, so I use a whistle to release the dog.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 am

I don't like walking back to release mine either. I use the word "bird" to release mine.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:56 am

how many different whistle signals do you guys use? I dont want the dog to get confused
Randy B

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:01 am

If I miss the bird, I say leave it and here or whistle here, walk, then up front, away from the missed bird to give it a half hour or so to settle down. If I hit the bird, the dogs name.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:05 am

To release the dog I use "Allright" or "Gone Away". Depends on the results of the shot. On a gone away command the dog is expected to renew hunting without pursuing after the flown bird. Allright means the dog is free to leave and do as it wishes - which will be to get the bird as quickly as it can. The timing of the release is entirely dependent on when I feel like releasing the dog. In some cases the retrieve is called for before the smoke has exited the end of the barrel, other times I will walk over to the dog and pet them up a little with a couple of good girls before sending for the retrieve - depends on the need at the time. On missed birds the release is always after I have marked the birds down for future pursuit.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 am

Releasing to a whistle - I only use two whistle commands. One is to get moving and the other is to come back in. Two toots is get going and I have used it on many occasions to release a dog. A trill whistle is to come in and although it will also work to release a dog I don't use it much. If I am wondering if a distant dog still has birds under her nose I can give a whistle and if they don't move I know to hustle butt over there.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 am

"Ok" or a whistle release (actually the same whipped up whistle used for turns - same signals since the mid-'70s without apparent confusion).

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:46 am

slistoe wrote:Releasing to a whistle - I only use two whistle commands. One is to get moving and the other is to come back in. Two toots is get going and I have used it on many occasions to release a dog. A trill whistle is to come in and although it will also work to release a dog I don't use it much. If I am wondering if a distant dog still has birds under her nose I can give a whistle and if they don't move I know to hustle butt over there.

What is a trill whistle? Type or method? Yes 2 whistles sounds simplest! i do like one for come he loves that, and one for release sounds like a good idea! Now do i have to have something else other than the whistle ? Like a verbal or can it be just a poke on the head or something i have noticed when i make him sit still i will poke himon the head and say ok to let him go. So im thinking 1 whistle to come, and maybe a pat on the front of my leg, and 1 whistle to release if he is away, and a poke on the head with the word ok. Does that sound ok ?
Randy B

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:15 am

I alway whoa my dogs first thing whether starting a hunt or trial. Just to get ito their head at the start of a session. They stand still(in theory) until I give 1 blast/toot on the whistle and they are off. 2 toots is turn, 3 toots and "here" to come in. My guiding dogs are steady through the shot, field trial dog(s) steady until released with a tap on the head or 1 whistle toot.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:16 pm

A trill is repeated toots - I modulate with my tongue on the opening of the whistle. I like the Gonia pealess, my wife likes the Gonia with the pea. The dogs don't seem to care.