He's been playing keep away

travis22

He's been playing keep away

Post by travis22 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:12 am

I have a 10 month old black lab and he's been playing keep away with me. Also when I take him to a pond where live birds are swimming he completely ignores me and chases them till he becomes tired. I've consulted with experienced dog handlers (not professionals) and they have given me helpful but not useful tips. I was wondering if anyone has a useful tip... I'm desperate because with these two problems it's very hard to work him. I recently purchased an e-collar, but have not used it yet because Riley (my dog) was recently "cut." (not gonna breed him) He's got a few more days before he can enter the water.
He is a very well behaved dog. He responds to every command I give him (except "come" while in the pond) I don't think he has learned to distinguish work from play. Maybe it is my fault, or he's just being a young male. I don't know...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: He's been playing keep away

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:01 am

travis22 wrote:I have a 10 month old black lab and he's been playing keep away with me. Also when I take him to a pond where live birds are swimming he completely ignores me and chases them till he becomes tired. I've consulted with experienced dog handlers (not professionals) and they have given me helpful but not useful tips. I was wondering if anyone has a useful tip... I'm desperate because with these two problems it's very hard to work him. I recently purchased an e-collar, but have not used it yet because Riley (my dog) was recently "cut." (not gonna breed him) He's got a few more days before he can enter the water.
He is a very well behaved dog. He responds to every command I give him (except "come" while in the pond) I don't think he has learned to distinguish work from play. Maybe it is my fault, or he's just being a young male. I don't know...
Here are some thoughts:

1. There is no difference between work and play. You have to demand and enforce correct behavior all the time. If he'll blow you off during "play" now, he'll blow you off when it counts later.
2. It seems that you have the wrong idea about using the e-collar. You need to get a video or book on training that lab that includes e-collar conditioning. Suggest Evan Graham's.
3. While you're waiting on them to arrive, you might just put the collar on the dog with it turned off. It's the first stage of collar conditioning.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 am

By "Keep Away" do you mean he won't COME to you when called or he won't bring back what he has retrieved which is basicly the same?

At 10 months old he is certainly testing you and winning. This sounds like nothing but working on basic obedinece skills that he may have learned early but now needs much more work. Use a 30 ft. check cord and work on COME or HERE command. Positive praise even a food treat reward after the praise should encourage him to COME when called. After you see much improvement then slowly increase working with everyday distractions until you can get back to the pond and the birds. Work there too with the check cord. NO off leash/check cord until he is 100% on the recall no matter what the distraction is. Once he has solid basic obedience skills, Heel, Sit, Down, Stay, Come and only then can you trust him off lead. That would be the time to introduce the E-collar if needed. I agree with Gregg 100%. You can do all this with the e-collar on the dog and turned OFF.

A/C Guy

Proper intro and use of the e-collar

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Put the collar on him and set it to the lowest setting. Hold the stim button and slowly turn up the stim level until the dog reacts to the stim. Release the button. With the dog 10 feet away, push the stim button and then say "Come" and hold the button until the dog reaches you. As soon as you can touch the dog, release the stim button. Praise him like he never obeyed before; really cheer. Do that three or four times. Put it away. Next day, same thing. Third day, go to the area where he refuses to come. Put on the e-collar and follow the previous routine. Now he will come. If he hesitates, turn up the stim another 2 levels to let him know that disobedience is not an option. Remember, this is a training exercise, so only do it 3 or 4 times then take him home. Do not stay longer to play or he will not learn as quickly. If you have a whistle, incorporate that into the come command after the 4th day. After the 5th time, do not push the stim button when you say come, if he obeys, great, if he hesitates, then use the stim until he starts towards you. As soon as he moves towards you, you can release the stim button. That will wean him off the collar for that command.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

TN_LAB

Post by TN_LAB » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Don't tempt him so much. You need to gradually introduce distractions. Try to socialize him a bit more. Get him used to different surroundings.

I'd also keep him on a long rope.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:16 pm

The dog needs to learn that following the command will release the stimulation.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:50 pm

You'll have to start all over training him and do it with the collar. Put the collar on whenever you take him out of the house but don't use it on him. Understand that the collar only reinforces known commands. It reinforces, it never teaches. You should reinforce every command he knows with the collar once he is used to it; Here, Sit, Down, Fetch, Hold, Drop, etc. Every command the dog performs must be reinforced by collar use. I'd look at Dobbs website or get some good dvd's on collar introduction.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.