Snake breaking

greyghost61

Snake breaking

Post by greyghost61 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:00 am

Has anyone used a python or any other type of snake for breaking? I used to have a rattle snake but he is long gone now and I was wondering if a python would work as well. I normally stumble across rattle snakes every year, but last year was bust with regards to them.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Snake breaking

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:48 pm

it will work if you want to break your dogs from pythons

it will not work if your planning an rattle snake avoidance

we have a guy down south charge people 50 plus bucks and breaks there dogs on bull snakes..every single one of those dogs that have been brought here for rechecks over the years have gone right in on the scent and/or sound of a rattler
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 am

we have a guy down south charge people 50 plus bucks and breaks there dogs on bull snakes..every single one of those dogs that have been brought here for rechecks over the years have gone right in on the scent and/or sound of a rattler
Knine, that's interesting because I've used gopher snakes(bull snakes) to snakebreak my dogs up here in Idaho with very good success. They give any snake including rattlers and garter snakes a wide bearth. Maybe the smell on rattlers down there is just different. Good to know though if I ever head south to hunt quail after our season closes up here.

I also think that training with even a small(less than 3') python could be rough on a dog if it got hold of it on the muzzle. Pythons have lots of sharp teeth. Anything larger than 3' could even strangle an average size bird dog.

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:48 pm

My club is doing a snake avoidance clinic and the person running the clinic uses rattlesnakes that have had there fangs altered.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:33 pm

That is what Bob does with our rattlers he milks and defangs them right before a session
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.