missing birds holding tight

northforkecap

missing birds holding tight

Post by northforkecap » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 pm

My 5 mos. GSP (female) is a hunting, sniffing machine. We spend at least an hour/day on hundreds of acres of pheasant loaded ground. She's pointed on a few but I know we're missing a bunch. I know her nose works well because of scent training but we seem to be missing birds that I know are there. Do you think she is not honing in on the scent? When dragging a dummy with wings when out of her sight, she has no problem sticking to the line so I'm prone to think she knows what to look for. Thoughts on what I'm not doing or should do?

Benny

Re: missing birds holding tight

Post by Benny » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am

I'm under the impression that there are a lot of factors that go into a dog picking up that scent cone. If we're talking one to three birds found and over a dozen missing, the problem could be your dog is losing interest. If that doesn't appear to be the case, fret not.

EDIT: under further inspection of your post, it was somehow unclear to me that your dog is 5 months old (how I failed to read the first 3 words...i dunno :roll: ). That's still pretty young to be worrying over your dog missing birds. Keep playing in those fields but don't make it mundane, your dog is still developing its instincts and love of birds. Make sure it stays fun. If its a problem in 6 months maybe then its a problem.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:24 am

Could also be wind direction and changing or swirling of it.I use a plastic windicator bottle filled with flour.Puff some into the air to see which way the wind is blowing.And always try and work your dog into the wind.May not be it but I'd try it.Wind direction can change in the blink of an eye.
Dog On Point!!

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:38 am

I think we may need some more info. My first thought was what have you done to teach the pup that there is nothing more fun then finding birds. He may be following scent because it is an interesting scent and not because it is a bird. More info on prior training.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 pm

The pup is only 5 months old. There are many factors to a dog or in yourcase, puppy to missing birds. Experience and actually knowing what she is smelling. Wind directions, wind can swirl. Your puppy could be up wind by just 10 feet and not smell the bird. A feather covered bird does not smell like a live bird.

You have nothing to worry about. Just keep getting her out.

Have fun
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 pm

This time of year all dogs have trouble finding birds. It has been estimated that a good dog finds about 75% and that can vary from near 0 to near 100% on any given day.

However in your case we are talking about a puppy that is out there exploring the world and in all probability isn't really looking for birds but rather just trying to figure what all of the new and different scents really are. I am also a little curious how you know there are birds that the pup is missing. Doesn't really make any difference but it roused my curiosity when you said that.

When the pup is a year old or older and passing birdsup that you know it smells then you may have a problem but till then relax and enjoy the puppy exploring the world.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

northforkecap

Post by northforkecap » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanks for all of your input. I'm relieved to hear that I don't have to stress it beings that she is only 5mos old. Her interest is off-the-charts high and that has never been an issue. She has a bunch of drive and has enjoyed our daily romps with the pheasants. One thing I will add, last night she did point on a rooster that was about 5yds+ from her. She went staunch, held well and then as I slowly approached, the rooster took off. I was still off to the side and behind her when the bird launched. Proud moment. This is the second time she's held point on a wild bird (she'll do it at times on meadowlarks and such).

The reason I think we are missing birds is due to the fact that I can hear the roosters real close but when we scour the area, she doesn't point and we never jump the bird. Are they (the birds) running before we get to them? Do they held super tight in heavy cover?

Do I at some point get a frozen bird and then a live one for training? I've got a couple of books that have launchers for training purposes. Do I pursue that to get her honed in on the pheasant scent?

Thanks again for your help.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 am

northforkecap wrote:Are they (the birds) running before we get to them? Do they held super tight in heavy cover?
Either. But most likely they are no where around by the time you get there.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Sure never heard of dogs not being able to find and point birds this time of year.My 3 month old Pointer pup found and pointed all three birds I planted for him today.Scenting conditions dwindles in hot and dry weather because of quick scent evaporation,so you need to work them early or late in the day when the weather gets too warm or hot.
On the senerio you mention on Pheasants,they are running on you and her,Count on it.Give her time,she'll come on.
Dog On Point!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 pm

BoJack wrote:Sure never heard of dogs not being able to find and point birds this time of year.My 3 month old Pointer pup found and pointed all three birds I planted for him today.Scenting conditions dwindles in hot and dry weather because of quick scent evaporation,so you need to work them early or late in the day when the weather gets too warm or hot.
On the senerio you mention on Pheasants,they are running on you and her,Count on it.Give her time,she'll come on.
When conditions are turning green and the birds are getting ready to nest there is less scent and its masked a great deal more than by dead vegetation of fall and winter. That how many of the nests make it through till hatching.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:02 am

Are these pheasants wild or pen raised and then released. Also you are doing a drag with scented dummy that you are stomping in the scent . The dog might be tracking you as much as the scented dummy. There is a huge difference in smell of wild versus pen raised birds. Heck I was out training this weekend and I could smell the pen raised chuckers we were using in releases. The dog is awfully young to worry about at this time.
Wild birds in the spring give off less scent as to avoid preditors finding them during nesting. I don't know if that is caused by the green grasses versus fall and the dried grasses or what.