Training a versatile breed

micha

Training a versatile breed

Post by micha » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:55 pm

I have trained retrivers my whole life I am buying a german longhair pointer. i am not sure what to do first any suggestions

Benny

Re: Training a versatile breed

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 pm

get a book (Delmar Smith, Bailey, etc.)
if you're impatient, get a DVD (Perfect Start, Hickox, etc.)

Study up and learn the differences and understand what its going to take for the two of you over the next several years of training.
Most of all, don't rush...research! Seems like 90% of training problems stem from the trainer, and probably not even 10% from the dog.
Good luck!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 pm

micha wrote:I have trained retrivers my whole life I am buying a german longhair pointer. i am not sure what to do first any suggestions
micha,
How old is the dog you're getting? Talk a bit about where you got the dog and what hopes and expectations you have for the dog.
My first bit of advise is to work on getting the dog to know and trust you. Have fun and then you can start on basic obedience. Just like any other dog. :)
While you do this you'll have plenty of time to formulate a strategy as to how to go about everything else.
Patience and fun. Thats where it all starts. :)
Love to hear more about the dog and everyone likes pictures! :P :!:
dennmor

P.S. My next dog is going to be a German Longhair Pointer. 8)
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:45 pm

How you train will depend on what your plans are. Will you train to pass breeding tests?
Exposure at an early age is better then training.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm

If it's a versatile breed, it's still hard to beat the NAVHDA Green Book.

I train them much like you do a retriever, except from day one I work them on a check cord pointing birds. Other than that, I get them in the water and have them retrieving a lot of clipwings. I don't work on one thing to the exclusion of all others. I balance it. I use mine for everything from waterfowl to upland so the same things you strive for in a retriever, you strive for in these dogs.

That being said, I know nothing of the German Longhair Pointers, but to me a good dog is a good dog and with minor differences, they all train the same.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 pm

If your dog is from a good kennel the breeder should be able to answer your questions or point you in the right direction. You might start with NAVHDA, or if the dog is eligible I would recommend JGHV testing.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

jt807

Post by jt807 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am

gonehuntin' wrote:If it's a versatile breed, it's still hard to beat the NAVHDA Green Book.

I train them much like you do a retriever, except from day one I work them on a check cord pointing birds. Other than that, I get them in the water and have them retrieving a lot of clipwings. I don't work on one thing to the exclusion of all others. I balance it. I use mine for everything from waterfowl to upland so the same things you strive for in a retriever, you strive for in these dogs.

That being said, I know nothing of the German Longhair Pointers, but to me a good dog is a good dog and with minor differences, they all train the same.
I new nothing and bought a dog and the NAVHDA Green Book.

It is short, you can almost read through in a sitting. It covers everything. I personally didn't, and wouldn't trust soley it for the parts where you introduce your dog to birds. I don't know if I am correct in thinking this, I have just heard that you can mess a dog up if you don't do that right. But that is months down the road anyhow.

I got help from a local club member on the bird part. There is no replacement for experienced eyes. People with experience can help you when you dog is not doing what the book says it should be doing, and even before that.

THe book is a great buy though, and I would recommend it.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:24 pm

From a slow learner (me) trying to help you learn faster:

1. Expose pup to water early and often
2. Socialize to other dogs and people ASAP and frequently
3. Attend some tests/trials even before you decide to enter any
4. Birds, birds, birds
5. Did I mention birds?

Good luck and send me photos for possible use on the TV show: scottlindenoutdoors@gmail.com. Everybody!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Scott Linden wrote:From a slow learner (me) trying to help you learn faster:

4. Birds, birds, birds
5. Did I mention birds?

Good luck and send me photos for possible use on the TV show: scottlindenoutdoors@gmail.com. Everybody!
This is probably some of the best, concise advice I have seen on this board!!! There is some "devil in the details" in 4 and 5, but Scott has captured the essence of getting a well-rounded (versatile) dog very well.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:54 pm

PrairieGoat wrote:
Scott Linden wrote:From a slow learner (me) trying to help you learn faster:

4. Birds, birds, birds
5. Did I mention birds?

This is probably some of the best, concise advice I have seen on this board!!! There is some "devil in the details" in 4 and 5, but Scott has captured the essence of getting a well-rounded (versatile) dog very well.
Goat, you are obviously a very perceptive individual. I would share a field with you any time.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Well thank you sir....and likewise on the field! I only wish I had known these things early on in my "dog days" instead of having to learn about it through the "school of hard knocks"....would've made things much easier, but then it wouldn't have built as much character!!! 8)