New puppy laying on point

yetinme

New puppy laying on point

Post by yetinme » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 am

We have a 12 week old French Brittany and were playing with pigeons last night. We had gone through getting her excited about them on previous days while holding them and had let her watch them fly away.

I planted a bird last night (her first) and she ran right over the top of it, locked up and turned around to point it. I flushed it and she chased a little bit. I then retrieved the bird (fishing line with Velcro on the foot) while my wife took the dog to another location. I then planted it again and she caught the wind of it and pointed it a couple feet away. I flushed it and she chased. Here comes the concern... I planted a third time and she winded, pointed for a few seconds backed up a step and then laid down like she was playing with our cat and was going for a "sneak" attack. I flushed the bird and she chased it. The string came off this time and she watched it fly around the woods for awhile.

What was the laying down and what should I do (if anything)?

Thanks!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: New puppy laying on point

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 am

At 12 weeks old, I think the game might have gone on too long. Others can chime in for sure, but I think she was getting less intense and slightly tired/bored. Or she was trying to change up the technique to see if she could get that exciting thing another way. Either way, good that the string came off, because you would have been awfully tempted to try again to see and I think she was done with that game for right then.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am

mountaindogs is right. too much.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 am

I should comment that you should be mighty proud of the way she handled at that age and it should lift your hopes for the future gundog you have in your family 8)

yetinme

Post by yetinme » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for the input. 3 times was all we were going to do but I will work on shorter sessions.

I sure hope she ends up being a good dog. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:48 pm

You have already introduced her and she did fine for her age. I would not keep doing it at her age. Let he rbe a puppy and teachher to lead, come, walk on a leash, and heel, along with house breaking. Maybe once every couple of weeks at most you could plant a bird but do it so she can find it while out running in a field so it is natural to her. Its more important that you spend your time teaching manners and exposing her to every thing you can in the next few months and there will be plenty of time to work with birds later.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

+1 on what Ezzy and the ladder spoke of.

It's great to test it out and see how it goes, but probably best to let sleeping dogs lie. Move onto the above mentioned material, and remember that you've got 12-15 more years to play with birds.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:25 pm

mountaindogs wrote:At 12 weeks old, I think the game might have gone on too long. Others can chime in for sure, but I think she was getting less intense and slightly tired/bored. Or she was trying to change up the technique to see if she could get that exciting thing another way. Either way, good that the string came off, because you would have been awfully tempted to try again to see and I think she was done with that game for right then.
Well said. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:45 pm

I would plant a couple of quail that will get up and fly some. For that age I kinda like them to run after one and get it. Let them carry it around if they will. They need confidence at that age and this helps them to develope it.
brenda

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:22 pm

Get'em a chicken to chase around to build confidence,,, well at 12 weeks better make it a cornish game hen.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:19 pm

I agree with Mountaindogs and the other people. I have a question. Describe how you handled the velcro bird and the puppy chasing the bird. Did you have the pup on a lead? If so, how did you stop the pup?

yetinme

Post by yetinme » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:32 am

The lead was about 30 feet and we would let her run off while allowing lead to go through our hand. As she reached the end we slowed here down and then stopped her.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:37 am

Frankly, to me it sounds like the pup is doing very well. Not a confidence issue. Just a repetition issue. And not an "issue" yet, either. Same reason you don't play retrieve until the puppy gets bored, you play it until the puppy gets wired and loves it. Then quit. But if you do accidently allow the pup to get bored retrieving once, it's okay. Just don't do it every day. Keep them remembering that it was fun and wanting more. It sounds like the dog did great, holding point and I wouldn't mess up the natural instinct it has with a bunch more or different games. I would just do what already worked for you, only every so often. I would spend most of my time just playing, introducing to walks in heavy cover, open fields, woods, over rocky areas, water, retrieving, etc. Build confidence with exposure to everything and anything. Try to avoid the snakes though! And the skunks... :roll: My dogs seem to be good at finding both.

Do be careful to stop her gently at this age and praise her during and after the stopping.

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:11 am

Congrats on the new pup. I agree with what has been said in lettiing the dog be a pup. I like to get them outdoors a lot at this age in the type of terrain you plan on hunting.

What kennel is your dog from? I have a Frenchy that is just over 2 and more of a dog than I could have ever hoped for.

yetinme

Post by yetinme » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:30 pm

I try to avoid snake with a dog or not. Lucky for us, they are not dangerous ones here.

I would rather not say the breeder. I really like our dog but not sure I want to promote the breeder. Nothing wrong with the dogs(atleast as far as I know) but I did take exception to some other items. That being said, I won't bash but also will not promote publicly.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 pm

In my opinion, pigeons are too big for a 12 week old pup. Ezzy is right on. It's all about introducing the pup to nature right now. Let her chase small song birds in the field. If you have access to game birds..pitch a dead quail on the ground and let her smell that and play with it. Just my thought..Hope this helps