Training session

Two Bears

Training session

Post by Two Bears » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm

What are your thoughts on training more than 1 thing in a session? I am doing heel, come, and whoa in one session which lasts for about 30 - 40 min total and spend about 10 - 15 min on each subject. Is this too much in 1 session?
The pup is GSP turning 5 months old this week and seems to be pretty sharp. She doesn't seem to lose her attention in these sessions.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Training session

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 pm

5 month old pup you want to keep things at the easy levels

their attention span isn't that long so stay with in the dogs attention span

keep it simple and fun end on good notes and build the blocks

I would rather have great 5 minute session then a 30 minute bad one
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:55 pm

kninebirddog wrote:5 month old pup you want to keep things at the easy levels

their attention span isn't that long so stay with in the dogs attention span

keep it simple and fun end on good notes and build the blocks

I would rather have great 5 minute session then a 30 minute bad one
+1. 30 minutes is a loooooooooong time for a pup that young.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:41 am

Well I am sure that she is having a blast doing this 10 min on long drag line working on come by voice and whistle I think that from her excitement from doing this she would do this all day. I let her be a pup while doing this as she gets to chase the leaves, point the robins all she wants and I only re-call her when she stops moving so there is no pressure on her, 10 min on heel, 10 min on the board doing "whoa" which has a low amount of pressure on her, She seems to be happy as a lark with this routine so I figure if things are good with her and no real pressure put on her it should be ok, but wanted other opinions.
I am planning on these training sessions for 5-6 days a week.

BTW I am not using any electric collar, just voice, whistle, and long lead (35 foot)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 am

Should never be about what training tool one is using a leash can be to much as it is the hand the tool is in not the tool itself

i don't put time lines on my sessions i set a goal for my sessions it takes what it takes I quit my dogs before they quit me as they are doing well then I will begin to ask more

i want them to look forward to being worked not dreading it

whether i am using a leash a command lead a check cord or even an e collar once we have progressed to the point they know what cues are

if a dog is fearful or dreading a session then it is time to re evaluate what one is doing to the dog :wink:

set them up for success is what it is all about
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:21 am

I think it is ok to layer commands that they already know but you need to keep your sessions short. I screwed up my first pup because I was so gung ho.

Don't repeat a command until they get it wrong. Quit while your are ahead. Split up your one long session into two or 3 short ones.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:52 pm

I should add this: I NEVER work on just one thing unless the dog is in force. One command always leads to the next. First is NO as a pup. Next is HERE. While he's learning HERE, he'll also begin learning HEEL. Once he knows HERE and is doing well at HEEL, add WHOA. Then comes force.

Dog training is much like building with blocks. You never put one block down and leave it, one is always stacked on the next. Dogs are smart and love to learn. The key is to make it fun, keep sessions short and sharp, and make sure the dog understands each thing being taught.

Always go back and reinforce, never teach a command and forget it. Dog training is a full time thing. We can gain so much through simple obedience in the house or the way to the truck. That's why a pro is so effective with dogs; he make darn few mistakes and utilizes every minute of his time to train the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Very well said.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:07 pm

two bears,

You asked 2 questions... What are your thoughts on training more than 1 thing in a session? I am doing heel, come, and whoa in one session which lasts for about 30 - 40 min total and spend about 10 - 15 min on each subject. Is this too much in 1 session?

Then in your next message you defend your method of those that disagree with your training method. I thought you wanted educated opinions from those on here that would know better than you or why ask.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:23 am

Well mikeb, I was not defending what I was doing just explaining what I am doing and the pups reactions fron the sessions.

That being said, if you don't have any comments about my question(s) go ahead and hijack someone elses thread.

The information that has been posted to my questions is good reassurance fo what I am doing and I fully respect everyones responses to my questions and feel that they have been helpful to me and think that I am on the right track with what I am doing.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:07 pm

If you use the Whoa post method, just hooking a CC to the dog should be enough. Especially if you are trialing a dog, I dont like to train with a collar, I like to reinforce with a collar. The collar should be thought of as nothing more than a XTRA long CC. If the dog knows what its supposed to do, your voice should be enough
KN

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:11 pm

BTW I train 3 dogs in 45 mins... FYI... It's all about quitting while your ahead, and repetition. Now bird work is different. Dont let a dog get bored with "here" by doing it 200X's a day
KN

jt807

Post by jt807 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:49 pm

What is your dog telling you? Somedays mine would get bored quickly. Sometimes we would have marathon sessions. I learned to read her and understand when she is done.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sat May 02, 2009 8:01 pm

I should add this: I NEVER work on just one thing unless the dog is in force. One command always leads to the next. First is NO as a pup. Next is HERE. While he's learning HERE, he'll also begin learning HEEL. Once he knows HERE and is doing well at HEEL, add WHOA. Then comes force.

Dog training is much like building with blocks. You never put one block down and leave it, one is always stacked on the next. Dogs are smart and love to learn. The key is to make it fun, keep sessions short and sharp, and make sure the dog understands each thing being taught.

Always go back and reinforce, never teach a command and forget it. Dog training is a full time thing. We can gain so much through simple obedience in the house or the way to the truck. That's why a pro is so effective with dogs; he make darn few mistakes and utilizes every minute of his time to train the dog.LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Private message
Benny wrote:Very well said.
I'm right there with you on that one Benny. 8)
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image