Introducing a GSP to water

gspkimber

Introducing a GSP to water

Post by gspkimber » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:41 pm

What are some introduction techniques to water? Is it okay to force the dog into water or will this have some adverse effects?

HMiller

Re: Introducing a GSP to water

Post by HMiller » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:01 pm

We started our pup in the pool when she was 9 weeks old... We would just hold her in the water, so she got used to it and then let her kick and swim to the stairs... she wasn't a big fan at first, mainly because she was still small and couldn't always tell where the way out was. We also took her to the lake where she could just walk right into the water... she liked that much better and would run in and swim when it started getting deep. At about 3 months she began to understand how to get out of the pool and she was hooked... now if she sees water she's in... especially pools... we've had to put up a gate on our pool deck to keep the dogs out... they fetch tennis balls, dummies and people... not always the best if you're the one being jumped on! :)
Miller's Mischievous Maebyn VDHimmel JH

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:41 pm

If your pup will come to you, wade in yourself and call it. I agree if you can start in a shallow water and let the pup ease in that is best. I've found that if you can work on the pup "recreationally" swimming before it has to retrieve that works out better. That way all they have to do is get comfortable with swimming not bring something back. Last summer by the time my GSP was 4 mos old she was chasing me around while I was swimming or in a canoe.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 pm

Or you can try my trick if your dog is food motivated........... I'm pretty well known for it...........

1)Float Cheetos on the water just out of reach in the pond.
2)Say nothing to the dog.
3)Food drive will kick in and the dog will enter the water.
4)Don't eat all of the Cheetos yourself! :wink:
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:26 pm

I have a small pond at home. At 8 weeks i went in and called and got my pup all excited to come to me and just kinda started by holding him with me. Then few minutes later let him swim to my wife and did it back and forth. It must have worked because at 8 months old he goes into the pond and just swims chomping at dragonflies lol he loves it. He heads straight to the pond when he gets hot. The 2 year old rescue we got she didnt like water at all, and i couldnt ease her into or anything i couldnt call her to it. So i kinda tossed her in lol and she hated it. she doesnt like to get wet. Finally now after chasing Toby around the pond while he swims and swims she got fed up and now she swims too lol. So he gets the credit for that!

Funny thing about Toby and the pond. He's like Rambo. IF there is a sandpiper on the other side he creeps into the pond very slowly and very carefully paddles himself over there and starts creeping up the bank lol!!! I love to watch it so much! There are a ton of birds around our place, and even a mocking bird that likes to dive bomb him. Only him not us not the other dog none of the other animals just Toby. I havnt figured out why he is a threat and everyone else isnt.
Randy B

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 am

ive always waded out and called or luerd the pup in with treats. start were the pup can touch just to build up there confidance and then work out from there if they are motivated by a bumper or toy toss it a little ways out and go from there it really depends on the dog as towhat works but here are a couple things to try. i have a 4 year old gsp that wont swim unless theres a real bird involved tos bumpers all you want but if theres no fethers shes just not intrested. then i have a male gsp that you cant keep out of the water
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

EPointer=Birdss

Post by EPointer=Birdss » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am

2 most useful tools when training a pup to water.

An older dog that is used to water.
A pair of waders so you are one of the pack & not standing on the bank whilst barking orders (sorry about the bad pun)

Find a shallow stream/river put on a pair of waders & walk through it where the dog will not be out of it's depth.
Go up the other bank & walk on for a while. Find another shallow part & cross it again
I do this for a few weeks, slowly going to progressively deeper water.

I have never made a big deal of this process. Your older dog wont & you want the pup to think the water is a normal event & not something where a big deal is made. I walk across & up the bank. The idea being that all dogs want to follow you as puppies & if they think they are being left behind this fear outways any water concerns! This is natural behaviour, it is not cruel!

There is nothing worse than someone standing on the bank trying to encourage a dog to go in. It will look at you as if to say why should I when your too afraid to go in!

Over time I introduce the dummy on the land & then in shallow water & so on.
There is no rush with this process.