question about the shotgun and my gsp

sjkennels

question about the shotgun and my gsp

Post by sjkennels » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 pm

ok i know i have asked a lot of questions on here and i thank you all for answering them for me. as i said in my other posts my gsp had a bad expierance with the shot gun last year. but i have gotten her where i can shoot birds over her all day with a 12 gauge. the only birds that has been shot over her was when she was either pointing them or when she was chasing them so with that said my questions are.

should i go back and start over with the gun training? buy starting with a starter pistol and working up where i am shooting it over her head with out any birds and then go to a 20 gauge then 12 gauge?

or

should i wait until she gets out 75 or 80 yards toss a bird up and shoot the gun and keep doing this until she is right next to me?

what i am trying to get is where she can sit by me and dove hunt with me with her sitting at my side and pay no attention to the shot gun and to be able to hunt her with other people and not have to worry about them about them shooting at a bird that she is not pointing

if you have any better ideas please let me know thanks in advance for your thoughts
Last edited by sjkennels on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kick'em up knock'em down

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: question about the shotgun and my gsp

Post by topher40 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 pm

sjkennels wrote:ok i know i have asked a lot of questions on here and i thank you all for answering them for me. as i said in my other posts my gsp had a bad expierance with the shot gun last year. but i have gotten her where i can shoot birds over her all day with a 12 gauge. but i have never shot over her with her pointing a bird or seeing a bird so with that said my questions are.
My question would be this...Why are you shooting birds that she doesnt point? It sounds like steps are being skipped so problems are being created. This is why I am a HUGE advocate for breaking ALL DOGS steady to wing and shot. If you do it from start to finish and do it right then you have bypassed so many potential problems that are created by taking shotrcuts.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:15 pm

i just read that and i made a mistake on what i said i will re type it but i meant to say i have never shot a bird over her with out her either pointing the bird or while she was chasing the bird sorry for the mistake.
kick'em up knock'em down

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:31 am

the answer to what I think your question is emphatically NO

If you have a dog thats shown symptoms of confusion based noise shyness dont ever shoot anything around this dog without a bird the dog has pointed and is flushing or a bird the dog is chasing

FORGET taking this dog dove hunting for atleast a couple years, if it was my dog it would never go dove hunting, a gun shy dog is not fun to fix.

Just keep shooting birds its pointing and forget the other idea its a huge mistake

never shoot anything around a dog without a bird or a retrieving dummy if its a retriever you need excited active prey drive to avoid gun shyness
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:46 am

If you have a dog thats shown symptoms of confusion based noise shyness dont ever shoot anything around this dog without a bird the dog has pointed and is flushing or a bird the dog is chasing
+1...

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 pm

+1 good advice.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:37 pm

thank you for the advice. when i said i wanna take her dove hunting i didnt mean in the near future. i meant that is what i was wanting to work up to. but thats secondary. the main thing i wanna do is to be able to take her out with a group of people. and not have to worry about me or somebody else shooting a bird she did not see or point.

and i did forget to say something else that i just remembered. i did shoot my 12 gauge one time over her a month or so ago. when she was prabably 75 yards away from me running there were no birds or anything. and all she did was stop and looked around to see what the noise was. and then she took off running again.
kick'em up knock'em down

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:54 pm

and i did forget to say something else that i just remembered. i did shoot my 12 gauge one time over her a month or so ago. when she was prabably 75 yards away from me running there were no birds or anything. and all she did was stop and looked around to see what the noise was. and then she took off running again
You have a noise sensitive dog, dont ever do that again its a very very bad idea. You keep tempting fate sooner of later it will bite you in the "bleep".

I wouldn't even consider hunting the dog with a group this year either, maybe next year if she gets a lot of "one on one" with you this year
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:01 pm

i will do that thanks for the advice bobman
kick'em up knock'em down