Force Fetch age limit?

Wlfdg

Force Fetch age limit?

Post by Wlfdg » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Sorry, I know I said I would go back to lurking but I don't know where else to ask this question.

I took a chocolate lab pup for a walk today at our local shelter. The shelter says she is 1-1.5 yrs. I think she is more around 9 mon. She is very much a puppy still. She is quite untrained, no leash manners and has a ton of energy! I would like to volunteer to work with her and make her more adoptable. She is quite an amazing pup! She is built more like a pointer than many of the labs around here but she looks all lab. I got her to walk "quietly" on lead this morning after about 1/2hr.

Do you think it would possible to teach her to force fetch at this time in her life? Is it safe to assume that I should obedience train her first?

I know I have read of people taking shelter dogs and training them into good bird dogs. Does anyone on here have a story like that?

I would love to take her but my lady isn't keen on a 3rd. dog. :roll:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Force Fetch age limit?

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:31 pm

Absolutely. You can force train them at any age. She is prime right now. The older the dogs get, the more they resent it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Wlfdg

Post by Wlfdg » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:01 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Absolutely. You can force train them at any age. She is prime right now. The older the dogs get, the more they resent it.
Thanks!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Get rid of the lady and take the dog. :P

Wlfdg

Post by Wlfdg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:00 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Get rid of the lady and take the dog. :P
LOL! Ah, she's a good one she just needs some re-training too. I just have to wear her down a bit. I've convinced her to take the Hunter's Safety course. A few times out hunting and she'll get it. :wink:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:21 pm

I have 9 dogs right now. 5 of which are sold, 4 of which I hope my female will be weaning next week and the other I am waiting to talk to a guy about picking up tonight, so I can't complain about my wife either. She doesn't hunt much but I did get her to start shooting trap and she has her own shotgun which she had me refinish for her with a bright blue stock and forearm. Once they figure out how much fun dogs and shooting are they lighten up.

Wlfdg

Post by Wlfdg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:20 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I have 9 dogs right now. 5 of which are sold, 4 of which I hope my female will be weaning next week and the other I am waiting to talk to a guy about picking up tonight, so I can't complain about my wife either. She doesn't hunt much but I did get her to start shooting trap and she has her own shotgun which she had me refinish for her with a bright blue stock and forearm. Once they figure out how much fun dogs and shooting are they lighten up.
Thanks! That is very inspiring! She went elk hunting with me this morning at 6:00 a.m. and it was about 8F. She climbed about 1500 vertical feet straight up and helped me glass after the sun came up. I missed a 650yd. shot and couldn't confidently figure out the drop for the next shot. :roll: Tomorrow is another day.