Hard time getting pup to kennel

56-26

Hard time getting pup to kennel

Post by 56-26 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:40 pm

I had just got a 4 month old pup and have had him for about a week and a half. He was kenneling good. Last night he went pee in the house and I must of scared him when I kenneled him. Now the fight is on when it's time for him to go in it. I tried to bait him with treats. As long as I'm not close to him he will go in and get the treat, as soon as I start towards the kennel he will back out of it. any ideas i cant force him in there for ever.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Hard time getting pup to kennel

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:20 am

did you put him in the kennel upset as a form of punishment? if so you will have to over come the kennel now being a bad thing and not a den and safe haven

So some things I would try...feed him in his crate this exercise you leave kennel open and place food bowl towards the back and allow him to enter on his own

...also get some super treats and he is only allowed to chew on those treats while in the crate...marrow bones are a good cut about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches thick

if he needs to be crated always make it a good thing even if you need to assist in entry that is a fine line but kennel needs to mean kennel but after in besure to put in something the pup really really likes so what may seem harsh in entry becomes a great thing...When we go on the road I don't have time to fight dogs on a daily basis so yes if they bulk they get PUT N the crate and then they get a reward with in a short time we can allow most of the dogs off the chains at night time and they come flying into their crates. we have a couple that have to be lead in but once close they begin anticipating their cookies

for us the crate is one of the very few times we use treats
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mandrakeduck

Post by mandrakeduck » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Here is my take. Our 1st GSP was a nightmare to kennel train. We just had to be patient. Now she kennels on command. Remamber, mistakes happen. The good news is that dogs live in the present and soon forget the past.

I assume you keep the dog in your home? If that is the case... I would suggest bringing the kennel into your TV room and keep the kennel open for the dog to go in. Make the kennel fun and keep up the food/reward. We use the command "kennel up".

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 am

I was upset when I put him in his kennel. He had been doing so good on potty training with no accidents for two days. The he had three in one day. After a lot of treats and puppy talk along with my other dog going in and out of his kennel things are back on track. Thanks for the advise.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:28 pm

They go though spells ..specially puppys on the potty issue...just have to recue on the go out side to potty and if you catch him in the act of pottying in the house just quickly and quietly take him outside and try to avoid getting upset

Just a little FYI how your pup reacted to thinking the kennel made you mad...that will also be something to be aware of in the field and training your body language and how you correct besure correction is directly related to the whats wrong and that is crucial timing for bird work :wink:

If you get frustrated back off give yourself a breather then go back to your pup..You will be fine
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.