Gun Dog / Family Dog

tehquickness

Gun Dog / Family Dog

Post by tehquickness » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 am

So I am on the verge of deciding what kind of dog to get and if it is worth it and/or possible to train a retriever. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a gun dog that lives in the house. I know if I get a puppy, my wife is going to want to spoil it to death, and from what I have read it seems that would be bad for the obedience and training of the dog.

Any personal experiences or thoughts?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Gun Dog / Family Dog

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 am

I don't think it's going to spoil the dog at all to be inside. You migh thave to do some training on the wife, though. The more time the dog spends with you, the better they're going to understand you...for better or for worse.

There are other reasons for a dog to be an outside dog, but, IMHO, that's not one of them.

See that dog in my signature below. Really looks like it's hurt him to be a house dog, right?

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 am

Don't spoil that pup too much. If you do they become couch hogs.

And it can ruin their prey drive.

Last edited by Ditch__Parrot on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tehquickness

Post by tehquickness » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks for the encouragement! Luckily we have no kids, and wont have any for many years. I will just be sure to teach my wife the correct obedience commands to use on the dog. You guys are great.

LokiandGunnar

Post by LokiandGunnar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 pm

tehquickness wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! Luckily we have no kids, and wont have any for many years. I will just be sure to teach my wife the correct obedience commands to use on the dog. You guys are great.
Teach a wife? What universe are you from :lol: ?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 am

Bizzaro world. :lol: :lol:
In all honesty, you will learn more about your dog and how to read it. And as long as you have the obedience/manners driven home with your pup, it will add to the enjoyment of a dog. I have five in the house at night and when not at home, not hunting or fishing they are in the outside/inside kennel. -7 this morning. The worse one is the wifes dog.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick