My GWP will retrieve but not all the way to hand!

GrouseHunter53

My GWP will retrieve but not all the way to hand!

Post by GrouseHunter53 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:02 pm

I have a 6 month old GWP and he is in he early stages of obedience training along with retrieving. He is doing great in retrieving training all except for the last 2-4 feet. I dont know if that is a big deal based on his age and the short distance he drops the bumper at. I would like to train him to hold the bumper/bird until I take it from him or give him a release command. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to get my pup to hold the bumper that last couple feet? Thank you in advance.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: My GWP will retrieve but not all the way to hand!

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 pm

If he were mine, I'd force break him. As a guide, I'd use Evan Graham's Smart fetch. I have a DD and went through the same thing, most pups do. I'd figure on forcing the dog at 9-10 months.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

GrouseHunter53

Post by GrouseHunter53 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm

That was my guess but I wasnt sure if that would be necessary considering that he only drops it once a couple feet away. Otherwise he retrieves very well. Also he has a very soft mouth. So soft that it seems like he is on the verge of dropping whatever he is carrying. Not sure if that will be a problem later as well.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:09 pm

GrouseHunter53 wrote:That was my guess but I wasnt sure if that would be necessary considering that he only drops it once a couple feet away.
If you want a dependable retriever, he needs FF'd. I also agree with the previous poster as far as FF at 9 or 12 months old as long as the dog can take the preasure. I'm training a dog right now that I know will need to be ff although she has retrieved every bird shot for her. It's all about dependability, at 6 months wait and see but be prepared for it.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:26 pm

I agree with what's been said about FF, and when it should be done. I will point out that your pup is probably still in the teething stage (till 7 months or so), and his dropping or mouthing the dummy may well have nothing to do with his actual desire to retrieve. NBD at this point.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:49 am

Grousehunter, something you might try, is walking or running backwards, as he is bringing it to you, or simply turning and walking away. I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but if it continues to be an issue, FFing is the answer.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GrouseHunter53

Post by GrouseHunter53 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess now I will just be encouraging his retrieving and see how it developes. In the mean time I will polish up on some FF readings in case I need to get into that ball of wax in a few months. Thanks again.

jakethebirddog

Post by jakethebirddog » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm

I kind of in the same boat on this one. Its a retrieving problem with my 11 month old Vizsla male. He will fetch a frozen bird when I throw it to him and say fetch and I turn around and walk away. He will pick up the bird and run to me, but when he gets to me, he just keeps running past me. So i keep turning around until he gets close enough to grab... then I praise and take the bird. But I feel like I'm praising for trying to catch him.

Any ideas? I don't like FF because of the potentially irrepairable damage I could do on this sensitive breed.

Thanks,
Tony

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 am

FF, if done right is not going to cause any problems to a soft dog. I LOVE soft dogs, as they are generally much easier to do. I have a friend that has a Viz that is Field Trialing and said the same thing to me. I told her to come watch me do several dogs and tell me is she still thought that.....She does all her own dogs and does not want to send a dog off, but she was so pumped about it after she spent the morning here she made her a table and started herself. All the V's I have done has taken to it well, I would just wait til the dog is fully mature, maybe a yr & 1/2.
brenda

jakethebirddog

Post by jakethebirddog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Thank you, I guess I just need a mentor to help me through it. Anyone live in central Missouri!?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:08 pm

GH,

First of all, you may be expecting way to much at 6 months old.
But I'm curious...When your dog drops the bumper short what have you been doing? Also what does the dog do? Does he drop it and just stand there or does he come to you, or go off and play?

Many years and many dogs ago... I had a dog that would drop the bumper 10 feet short and then run the rest of the way to me and sit... I would praise the dog for coming to me. After a while I realized what I was praising her for... I was really teaching her by praising when she got to me and sat was GOOD JOB for dropping the bumper and continuing to come to me.

So I changed my technique... the moment she dropped the bumper I turned my back to her and walked a few steps away from her. Then with no words or emotion I went and picked up the bumper, waked back to where I started and threw it again. I had to do the turn away 4 more times but on the 5th throw she brought it all the way back to me and sat with it in her mouth. The light bulb had finally come on and she never dropped short again.

That was my experience and how I fixed it.

GrouseHunter53

Post by GrouseHunter53 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:10 pm

I will have to try that training tip. My GWP will drop the bumper 2-4 feet from me and then continue to me enthusiastic that he just did a good job. I have been ignoring him and walking up to the bumper and throwing it again. About once every four retrieves he will bring it all the way to hand. Gonna have to see where this one goes.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:41 pm

When he does bring it back to you praise him like crazy and give him a small food treat kept in your pocket. Praise is a powerful tool when used at the right time. Keep us posted on your progress.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:31 am

For you guys that don't want to ff, try this. When the dog comes in to you, do not reach down to take the bumper. Kneel down and see if he'll just prance around you with the bumper. Don't try to take it. If he comes to you just scratch his ears and back, but don't take the bumper. Sometimes this works wonders.

If he still drops it before he gets to you, walk quickly and excitedly to the bumper and kick it, saying fetch or whatever your command is. Then kneel down and try to get him to you. Praise the heck out of him when he picks it up and starts back to you.

I really, really, like the ff because I hate to be subservient to a dog when I'm training it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

GrouseHunter53

Post by GrouseHunter53 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 pm

I have made some progress with ignoring my dog when he doesnt retrieve to hand. I then run up to the bumper and throw/kick it again. When he sees me excited he gets really jacked up! I have been kneeling down to his level and he seems to be holding it longer in his mouth when I am down lower. Not fixed yet but I am making progress.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:47 am

gonehuntin' wrote:If he were mine, I'd force break him. As a guide, I'd use Evan Graham's Smart fetch. I have a DD and went through the same thing, most pups do. I'd figure on forcing the dog at 9-10 months.
Grousehunter - I'd take Ken's (gonehuntin) advice - he knows what he's talking about. Keep working with the pup as you are for the next couple months, but you should be reading every FF article/book you can get your hands on during that time and get started with him on FF when he's 9-10 mos old. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. The benefits are 2-fold IMO: 1) you get a solid, reliable retrieve delivered to hand and 2) I firmly believe going through the process strengthens the bond and communication between a dog & handler, making you a better team going forward.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:11 pm

JakeDD wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:If he were mine, I'd force break him. As a guide, I'd use Evan Graham's Smart fetch. I have a DD and went through the same thing, most pups do. I'd figure on forcing the dog at 9-10 months.
Grousehunter - I'd take Ken's (gonehuntin) advice - he knows what he's talking about. Keep working with the pup as you are for the next couple months, but you should be reading every FF article/book you can get your hands on during that time and get started with him on FF when he's 9-10 mos old. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. The benefits are 2-fold IMO: 1) you get a solid, reliable retrieve delivered to hand and 2) I firmly believe going through the process strengthens the bond and communication between a dog & handler, making you a better team going forward.
Good post, and I agree. I am amazed at the difference in my young GSP, Zeke, after going through a FF program with him. Our bond is getting much stronger [ he is very independent ], he is much more attentive to me and has not lost any of his boldness or independence [ in a good way ]. Nothing but good has come from it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:19 pm

FF is the way to go in my oppinion.
I did my own and at the end I had him bringin back an estwing hammer,garden hand ho,beer cans,pretty much anything I through and told him to fetch.
He is a german shorthair and a litlle over a year when we started.this was my first birddog and I was lucky enough to get direction from the the guy i got him from,scott at crosswind kennels.he showed me what to do and what to watch for and I had my brother build me a table(my carpentry skills are BAD)and did extra research as far as reading books,internet,other trainers,breeders etc...
Took it all in and used what seemed to work the best for my dog and myself.
anyhow,sorry to ramble and good luck.research is key and asking questions is a must