Chickens around GSP

bikerted86

Chickens around GSP

Post by bikerted86 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:55 pm

I have a 8 month old gsp that I have been training to hunt. Well I was just offered some egg laying chickens and a coop, I was wondering if having chickens in an enclosed run will have ill effects on the dogs training?
Thanks Ted

Birddog3412

Re: Chickens around GSP

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:37 pm

I think you would be ok, just make sure he cant get in there pen.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 pm

I had 20 pullets before having a gsp. We let them free range all summer. When pup was about 6mo. we had 12 left. This winter we have one left. If you want to keep your chickens keep them cooped up.

bigcountry

Post by bigcountry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 am

Same story as above. We raised 13. We turned all the roosters but 1 out. We now only have the hens that were kept in the pen.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 am

Teach the dog to leave em be.

I have multiple dogs and chickens can walk around without fear. My dogs wont even look at the
pheasant and chukar pens.....if anyone thinnks a dog cannot understand or be taught to leave birds
alone they are underestimating their intelligence or arent willing to take the time to teach them
chasing chickens isnt acceptable.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 am

birddog1968 wrote:Teach the dog to leave em be.

I have multiple dogs and chickens can walk around without fear. My dogs wont even look at the
pheasant and chukar pens.....if anyone thinnks a dog cannot understand or be taught to leave birds
alone they are underestimating their intelligence or arent willing to take the time to teach them
chasing chickens isnt acceptable.
While all you said is true, this pup is at the stage you want them to be getting bird crazy. Teach him to leave them when he is older. You cannot tell him no to birds one day and go the next it will just confuse a puppy.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm

I hear ya 3412,

I have not had a problem that way, birds aren't generally found in the yard....birds walking around the back yard or farm yard are off limits......I truly think a dog exposed to game birds in the field know that chickens are not game birds and don't hold the allure hidden birds in wild cover hold.

In the cover all is fair game.....from my experience, the dogs I have had picked this up almost effortlessly.

I have bird crazy EP's and with almost no effort they learn chickens and birds in a pen aren't what their after. Now
If they aren't finding birds in the field I could see how a dog might get frustrated/confused.

I was able to come to an understanding with mine without any real pressure....just "no bird" and whistle trill, to bring them away. A few times early I may have lead them away (off chicken point) with a "no bird" and very little else.

I then have visited friends with a dozen chickens running loose (and 6 dogs) and never had a problem....they ignore them.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:51 am

I agree, but I did not want to kill his "bird crazy" drive. Also most of the birds he did get were trying to steal food out of his bowl. Actually I think it was more like bait as he would act like he didn't see them and then pounce once they were at his bowl. He never even acts interested in the coop they are in.