a natural point.....

Sprig

a natural point.....

Post by Sprig » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 pm

anybody that knows me knows i am a HUGE believer in letting the dog develop naturally as much as possible and not put too much "training" into the dog if not needed.....here is a short video of what i like to see in a dog. this dog is about 6 months old or so and has only been on birds for less than 2 weeks and very little to no formal training yet...he started to lock up on the 4th bird and getting better each day......this was taken last week, the end of his first week of birds when the video was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/birddogtraining# ... urGoTGhoy0

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: a natural point.....

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:30 am

Fun video!

So what is your technique for getting them "naturally" broke to wing , shot & wild flushes! :P
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am

to finish em up like that I will say it does require some whoa training but i usually dont do that until the end part and i have gotten all i can out of the dog naturally. for the guy that just wants a dog steady to flush a lot of times all that is needed is a ton of birds, a bird launcher and practice practice practice.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:47 am

My brother & I let our GSP pups handle pheasants at six months of age. The pups were rock solid to flush. Over 50 pheasants were harvested over those two pup's points complete with natural retrieves that first fall. Those pups received only "natural" training on wild birds. This is probably an example of a "best case scenario". However, the point was well made that individual pups develop at different rates and letting them develop naturally is certainly an easy way and can produce good results.

My now soon-to-be 8 year old is still rock solid to flush and is self taught to relocate as needed. If we don't fill out it's not because the dog didn't point birds for us. She's a heck of a hunting dog but my one regret is I never finished her. I want to be spoiled, my younger dogs will be broken - naturally. :D
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

This all sounds great and I certainly don't disagree, but remember, lots of us don't have enough wild birds around to work dogs on. :cry: :cry:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 pm

you can simulate wild birds with a half dozen "homed" homing pigeons and a remote bird launcher. it is a cheap and easy and very effective way to put your dog in front of a lot of birds where there aren't any.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:45 pm

birddogger wrote:This all sounds great and I certainly don't disagree, but remember, lots of us don't have enough wild birds around to work dogs on. :cry: :cry:

Charlie
I feel for ya. Believe me I don't take my situation for granted.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Sprig wrote:you can simulate wild birds with a half dozen "homed" homing pigeons and a remote bird launcher. it is a cheap and easy and very effective way to put your dog in front of a lot of birds where there aren't any.
I agree, and I have access to plenty of birds to train on. I was just commenting of the fact that there is really nothing better than plenty of wild bird exposure.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 pm

you are right, nothing beats the real deal when it comes to birds. some of the best training a dog can get is spending time on pheasant hunts in places like north dakota and south dakota, for example. a week in a place like that is like 6 months of regular training. and fun too :mrgreen: