GSP-Tearing up the world

fatboyoutdoors

GSP-Tearing up the world

Post by fatboyoutdoors » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 pm

I recently got a GSP out of rescue. Like the way the dog hunts....besides that he is a freaking idiot. I was told he didn't have to be kenneled. I have him in a small dog pen...say...30 x 20. He has crewed the whole fence in half..digging to china...just destroying everything...my wife is about to kill me or the dog or both. Do I need to put him in a small chain link kennel? Help...ideas!

twofeathers

Re: GSP-Tearing up the world

Post by twofeathers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 am

He is bored. My dog will dig like that when he does not get enough exercise.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:25 am

GSP's can be very destructive and if he is a digger, he will always be a digger. However, most any dog would go nuts and tear things up, being kept in a small cage like that. He needs a decent kennel run and plenty of daily exercise. A lite chain link kennel won't hold him either. He will tear it apart. If you use chain link, it needs to be a heavy guage but something like hog panels would work better and are less expensive. You will also need some type of flooring or he will dig out, no matter how much you exercise him. If he learns to climb, you will also need some type of roof or top on it.

I don't mean to sound harsh but if I am understanding this correctly, the thing you are keeping him in is inhumane. You said he was a rescue dog and the shelter told you he didn't need a kennel. The way they keep them is inhumane also, even though they may not have much of a choice.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:54 am

small dog pen...say...30 x 20
I don't mean to sound harsh but if I am understanding this correctly, the thing you are keeping him in is inhumane. You said he was a rescue dog and the shelter told you he didn't need a kennel. The way they keep them is inhumane also, even though they may not have much of a choice.
Not trying to start anything but a lot of people like scott kennels, some of those are only 6 or 8 feet. Am i reading this wrong? 30 feet x 20 feet is a lot larger than many I've seen. He did rescue the dog by the way.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 am

Yeah, I wasn't sure I was understanding it correctly. He said small pen and asked if he needed a small kennel. I didn't understand the 30x20 comment because that would be huge. The way he was talking, it sounded like some sort of a cage, but you are probably right and I apologize for jumping to conclusions. I will use the excuse that I am working midnights. :mrgreen:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:34 am

Do you have other dogs, Is he having some kind of separation anixety? How is he on a leash and when in the house with you? Does he bark a lot?
How does he eat? I am no rescue expert. But heres my .02 well now it is only worth .0002.
The wire on some of the Chain link fences is soft. I know a beagle that chews through the Chainlink.
I used the steel welded wire kennel fence. I believe it was 9 gage. (I am drawing a blank on the company but there are many). Put a concrete floor sloped a 1/8" per foot and crowned in the middle. Use 4,000psi concrete with fibermesh reinforcing. (4000 holds up to weather better) Seal it while still green (the next day) two or three coats. Digging stopped, chewing through stopped. Good metal dog house with corner guards, FRP on the floor and walls of the dog house, for easy cleaning and to slippery to chew and glued in place so nothing to peel up. You need to have shade so a cover over part may be in order. Now will he jump out? If so, you need a ledge on top, like a prison, just no cut wire. Kennel walls need to be at least 6'-0" tall. Put a bunch of large kong toys and big balls in there. Some thing to do. Make sure you have a large water bucket attached to the kennel. Or build a self waterererere.

Now, Birds, Training, training, training, exercise, confidence building stuff, interaction with the family. That is the best you can do.
Nice that you rescued this dog.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick