Training my GSP to heel

Bossman27

Training my GSP to heel

Post by Bossman27 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04 pm

So far training has been going great with my 17 week old GSP, he is a quick learner and seems to pick everything up pretty easy. However, I have had a heck of a time on heel with him. I've tried the food with the clicker and it seems fine but when we go on a walk there are just so many distractions he cannot focus even with food present he pulls like he is in the iditarod. I'll even take him for a 1-2 hour off leash run\walk to tire him out before trying it and he still is a crazy puller.

Does anyone have any tricks they can share for teaching a 4 month old puppy heel? I have one of Delmar's wonder leads but I have not used it yet because I feel like he is still too young. Is he too young? or could I start working with him with the wonderlead?

Or is this just a case of me expecting too much from a puppy that is four months old? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

AzDoggin

Re: Training my GSP to heel

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:05 pm

I wouldn't be too worried at this stage. He's excited and wants to go, go, go and that is a trait that you want. However, he also eventually needs to learn to be a good citizen on the leash - that way you'll be comfortable taking him lots more places. He just needs to learn when he can go, and that the leash means he needs to tone it down and seek a "slack leash."

I remember Delmar Smith first exposes his pups to a tether on a chain gang. His comment was "let pup figure out he can't beat the leash on his own. Let him fight the chain, not you" Find a tree or put in a stake in your yard and hook your pup up with the leash for some time each day. He'll fight it like crazy for awhile, but eventually, he'll figure out that he won't win, and he'll calm down and stay within the leash in your yard.

When you take him out "off leash" are you leading him to the spot on the leash, then letting him off to run? If so, pup is learning that if he pulls like crazy, eventually, he gets to a place where the human lets him RUN which is really what he wants to do. So, pulling on the leash leads to FREEDOM. Obviously, this is not what you want him thinking.

It sounds like you have the pup responding well to the clicker in your yard. Click when the leash is slack, don't give up on that practice, just start extending it a little bit at a time outside of your yard. Can you go a different route from where you go to run him off leash? Or, put him in the car and start driving to other areas that are outside of your neighborhood, but have relatively few distractions to practice on leash. When you are doing leash training, if he pulls, you stop. He needs to learn that, like the tree or stake in your yard, no amount of pulling on his part will get him where he wants to go. The only thing that gets him there is calm walking on a slack leash. This is all low-pressure, with lots of patience. For times when you are taking him out for a run off-leash, I'd even use some different some different type of lead to get him there (maybe your check cord???). If you are wanting to leash train him, he needs to learn that when the leash is on, he's not pulling, and he's not getting off the leash.

When our pup was young, the best leash training he got was while we were watching baseball games. My son was playing, and the pup was on a leash near our lawn chairs the whole time. Quickly learned that he wasn't going anywhere. I'd take him on short walks occasionally during the game, only moving about when the leash was slack. He learned so quickly, it was amazing, and to this day he is a pleasure to take out on a leash.

With your pup still young, you have plenty of time to get it right. You'll get there.

Have fun.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:43 pm

I don't think your going to see heeling with a loose leash for a long time with a GSP. But having said that...

You can try my method I have used for years. Using a leash not a long line or Flexi line but a good solid leash...
The moment he starts to pull quickly put slack in the lead and make a quick 180 degree about turn the go the other direction. DO NOT say a word... especially HEEL. That correction for pulling has to be very quick with a little slack so he will feel the quick pop of the lead and your going the other way. Don't pull the dog the other direction like stiring a big pot. The quick 180 about turn with a pop of the lead will teach him to learn to walk along you side but it will take some time. The moment he starts walking along your side then you could CLICK and treat along with heart felt verbal prasie GOOD BOY! If you didn't use the clicker then just verbal praise is fine. Only praise when he is walking along with out pulling. The moment he starts to pull again just do the 180 turn.
For a while you may not make it to the next house but you will soon. Just takes lots of practice and patients.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:00 am

MikeB wrote:I don't think your going to see heeling with a loose leash for a long time with a GSP.
I have to agree with this. For some reason i find it is hard to get pointing dogs to heal because they have been bred so much to get out and run and it is unnatural for them to be at our side like a lab. It can be done but you are fighting some strong genetic tendencies to get a pointing dog to heal. just be patient, it will take more time and patience to get it there then other types of dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Let him grow up alot before focusing him on heeling. Then he will have the attn span to retain.
brenda

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:07 pm

snips wrote:Let him grow up alot before focusing him on heeling. Then he will have the attn span to retain.

+1
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:55 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
snips wrote:Let him grow up alot before focusing him on heeling. Then he will have the attn span to retain.

+1
+2

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Just had another thought.. If you work on Heel to much you run the chance of having a dog that doesn't want to leave your side. Doubt that would happen with a bird happy GSP but you sure don't want that to happen.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

MikeB wrote:Just had another thought.. If you work on Heel to much you run the chance of having a dog that doesn't want to leave your side. Doubt that would happen with a bird happy GSP but you sure don't want that to happen.
Agree. As far as priorities go, heel is a ways down the list.

That said, the pup has to be manageable in getting from the house to the field, and in the community if he's still working on socializing him. I don't think exposure to a leash and low-pressure teaching of basic good manners will hurt anything. Shoot, it can be as easy as just taking pup everywhere he goes, and out alot on the leash. I think pup will learn when he can turn it on and run, and when he should stick tighter to master.

I do agree with everyone that formal "heel" training should NOT be started now. Just a few manners, that's all :wink:

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:43 pm

I stopped teaching HEEL long ago to my pet clients. Formal HEEL takes a lot of work and most people don't do right anyway. I teach "Lets Go" when I start to walk and the dog walks on the left or right side with out lagging or pulling like a sled dog.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 am

Heeling is just dog training 101. It's a snap to teach and all dogs should know it. I don't bother with it until the dogs are around 8-10 months old. I obedience train the dogs when I am going to force them'

Your's is too young, but when he's ready, just take a page from the retriever guys and buy a heeling stick. You'll have him heeling in a few days and with no jerking around.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Like has been said over and over, let your pup grow up. When you do decide to teach him to heel be consistent and well timed and your pup will pick up heel in no time at all.