Training an older GSP

kuduhunter

Training an older GSP

Post by kuduhunter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:23 pm

I just rescued a GSP from and animal shelter. Vet thinks he is between 1 1/2 - 2 yrs old. They did not know any background on him as he was found rather than given to a shelter. It has only been one day so right now trying to get him to recognize his name and bond with me and my wife. What are some tips to begin training this older dog. He acts like he might have had some training but is not real obedient at the moment. He is very loving and stays close right now. Would eventually like to use him as a hunting dog if he shows the potential.

MikeB

Re: Training an older GSP

Post by MikeB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:53 pm

First thing is crate training and potty training just like a pup. He could have been in the shelter just becaue he wasn't house trained or he chewed too. Who knows. So I would treat him like a pup and get those 2 thing taught first. You can teach potty on command too if you take him out to YOUR spot where you want him to pee and poop and while he is sniffing tell him "Go Potty" or "Get Busy" or what ever your cue words may be.
At this age he is easy to teach most commands. Just don't hurry with him. Give him some time to get settled, bond and see what he already knows. Take him out on a long check cord and see if he know COME / HERE and how he reacts to birds. Might just turn out to be a gem.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 am

i would just let him be a dog for a few weeks. play with him, bond with him but dont expect too much from him until you see he is comfortable with his new environment and family. Spend time with him everyday. Put him on a long check chord so he can move around a bit and get used to his new environment and so you can still control him if he decides to run off or something, just as a safety precaution. start teaching him to "come" when he is settled in then after that you can start to e-collar train him if you so desire. then you are ready to run him and see how he runs out in the field to see what kind of hunting potential he has but dont try that until you are 100% sure he knows "come", and i would recommend come with an e-collar as when many pointing dogs get the idea they are a bird dog they want to go hunt for themselves and have selective hearing when it comes between listening to the owner or chasing birds or covering a huge field. I have taken many older GSP'S with no hunting background/training and turned them into great dogs. just be patient and get them on birds as soon as you have control of the dog with come command. good luck 8)

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread, but something you said, Sprig, made me think of my 5 yr old GSP. I only got him in November from a breeder who had him returned to her. He was doing great on lead/checkcord with "here" in the yard so I introduced the ecollar very slowly and he responded well to that. Now the problem is, he won't listen unless he has the ecollar on! I want to be able to have him with me in the front yard (not fenced in like the back) especially if I am doing yard work out there, but I can't trust him to come when called. I know some here will probably say, "just keep the ecollar on" but I want a reliable dog OFF the collar! Any thoughts?

Bill

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:50 pm

I would start back on the check cord and work on COME or HERE from different distances under different distractions. Off leash with some dogs takes a long time but it can be accomplished if you work on it slowly on a line. He should also know STAY or WHOA if that is your command for the same, like on the porch or when lying down. Use a long cable tie out if needed for now.

kuduhunter

Post by kuduhunter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for all the comments. He is bonding well and comes most of the time so will keep working him slow.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:01 pm

BillGraves wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread, but something you said, Sprig, made me think of my 5 yr old GSP. I only got him in November from a breeder who had him returned to her. He was doing great on lead/checkcord with "here" in the yard so I introduced the ecollar very slowly and he responded well to that. Now the problem is, he won't listen unless he has the ecollar on! I want to be able to have him with me in the front yard (not fenced in like the back) especially if I am doing yard work out there, but I can't trust him to come when called. I know some here will probably say, "just keep the ecollar on" but I want a reliable dog OFF the collar! Any thoughts?

Bill

To be honest, I will have to agree with keeping the collar on him. german shorthairs have such a strong desire to go run and find birds and it is hard to control that in them without an e-collar and being 5 years old he is kind of set in his ways i would tend to think. Once a dog is collar-wise, that is kind of set for life in the dogs head. It is in part a sign it is a smart dog because he is thinking and figuring out when he can and when he cant go wander and not come when called. I have a young dog right now i am training to sell, she is great out in the field with a collar on. Comes when called and everything. Really well behaved but around the yard without an e-collar on she plays keep away for half an hour if she can get away with it. I finally stopped giving her the benefit of the doubt because she knows what she is doing and knows when she can get away with it (when the collar is off). Your dog is probably thinking the same way, he knows when the collar is off and knows you have absolutely no recourse at that time. So i would have to say just put the collar on him and not worry about it. That is what collars are for, to control those dogs that know what they are doing when they are misbehaving. good luck 8)