Retrieving Doves

Fish 4-5

Retrieving Doves

Post by Fish 4-5 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 am

Need training advice, My 9 month old GSP went out on his first Dove hunt yesterday. I think things went fairly well for his age. I took him to a place that was not crowded and thing were very controlled. After a dove was shot he was sent to retrieve it and everything was good so far. When he located the bird obviously very excited he just wanted to play with it. Not eat eat just play with it.
He's been retrieving bumpers and frozen birds for months just fine.
My question/concern is how much pressure should I put on him at his age and what should be expected at 9 months.
I'm going to review some of my videos hopefully I can pick up something. Thanks for any thoughts.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Retrieving Doves

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am

Personally I will not take my YOUNG dogs on doves..
Feathers come out to easy and many dogs do not like that and then spit it out or refuse to pick up the next one and then you begin a possible new issue of a dog refusing to retrieve.

So if the pup isn't retrieving them then don't bring him along for this season until you get regular birds and Good retrieve habits going....there isn't much I would do with a young pup to correct it and I would not want to let this become a habit

Bumpers are hard and do not have feathers that fall out

fresh shot doves are soft and feathers come out extremely easy
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Fish 4-5

Re: Retrieving Doves

Post by Fish 4-5 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:44 am

Unfortunatly, In my area of va we don't have anything other than ducks and geese. Unless I take him to a game farm doves are it. Years ago the grouse population was good but anymore you can walk all day and maybe flush one.