Help with wild GSP

frankie's

Help with wild GSP

Post by frankie's » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:44 am

Hi,

I have a 16 months GSP, Maia, who is completely crazy about hunting and birds. Actually she is too crazy.... when we get in the field she runs as fast as a hound and never stops until we get back to the car. She answers all commands and will stay at heel until I release her, will whoa on point as long as it takes me to get to her and flush the bird.
Now she found some birds this season (woodcocks and pheasants) and was very good, pointing, me shooting and her retrieving.
Problem is that we missed some birds because of her running so wild. She never quiets down and almost always run full blast which made us miss some birds as they flushed hearing her coming and working so hard in cover. I even wonder if sometimes she can get a smell by running so fast. It is like she is going in the field with too much drive and not enough concentration.
Is she so wild because she is young ? will she realize that by running so fast she is spooking of the birds before she can get to them and quiet down a bit ? or do I have to do something in terms of training about it.
Thanks

Will

Re: Help with wild GSP

Post by Will » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:25 am

I think you have a good "problem" on your hands. She is yount and perhaps immature. That coupled with a high drive is the reason she's going at it so hard.

My advice: Hunt the heck out of her...getting her as many contacts as you can...BUT...don't let her have any "gimmes"...only shoot birds that she points, and holds, etc. Don't fire a shot at any wild flushes, etc. She should make the connection soon enough and oh what a difference even a few months can make at her age.

You might even want to exercise some of the control you have in the field by calling her in after a wild flush....making her sit and calm a bit...then releasing her to start over.

Oh...one other thought....perhaps "tiring" her out a bit before hitting the field would help slow her down?
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 am

Will wrote: Oh...one other thought....perhaps "tiring" her out a bit before hitting the field would help slow her down?
I had a Britt female that was a wild one when young. We'd drop her off a mile or so before we hit the hunting area so she could run the "boogeries" out. :lol:

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Will wrote:
Oh...one other thought....perhaps "tiring" her out a bit before hitting the field would help slow her down?

Until she gets in really good shape...then you'll be up all night so you can hunter with the guys at 8am!

Can you teach her to handle or quarter on command? I like high energy dogs, but we need to teach them to handle to our individual needs. It takes time, but worth the extra training. Hang in there!

Nitrex

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:43 pm

I would take the chase out of her. Then bumped or wild flushed birds you can stop her...But that takes some controlled training...
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:36 pm

AzHusker wrote:
Will wrote: Oh...one other thought....perhaps "tiring" her out a bit before hitting the field would help slow her down?
I had a Britt female that was a wild one when young. We'd drop her off a mile or so before we hit the hunting area so she could run the "boogeries" out. :lol:
Yeah, my avatar dog was this way until she was about 3. We would run her a mile or two before the field. Stop for a swim in a water hole, and off she'd go ready to hunt. I agree with not shooting any flushed birds too. If you do you'll lose the pointing that you have.

GSPnewbie

Post by GSPnewbie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Hello,

New to the forum and new to GSP's. My GSP, Axel is a 13 month old in his first season. We are located in Massachusetts. I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I've done my best to avoid the crowds taking him out later in the day being his first year. After three hunts he has 14 Pheasant and 2 Woodcock. The Pheasant are stocked on Wildlife Management Areas and obviously the Woodcock are wild and just beginning to migrate through.

His insanity in the field is something I have never seen or experienced. This dog will run, run, run. He quarters awesome but as time goes on he appears to blow me off especially at the sent of the bird. Once he winds a bird or smells it on the ground I can no longer control his range. He will run to the scent and whoa but these Pheasant aren't posing for pictures. By the time I caught up with him 3/4's of the birds have either flushed or run. Off he goes!

I have not shot any of these busted birds, in fact have only shot at 4 of the 14. The Woodcock, hold and he is Joy to see. I have never seen a dog so Bird Crazy. Yesterday we had the misfortune to run into a flock of Turkey's with some young poults. He winded these guys and it was game on. He busted the flock up with birds flying everywhere. He thankfully did not catch any of them. He did send a young Poult running by me within three feet. Not sure if I wanted to scream of laugh at the sight. Really wasn't sure what to do? It is a bird but not one I want him chasing.

Obviously the dog and I have much to learn. I just wish there was a way to convey to him to slow down.

Thanks in advance for any tips.......
Great Sight

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Think 4 year old before Christmas. They are so excited but the good behavior slips alot! And each day gets worse.
But this is what they are supposed to be. They love this game and are built for run and go. I personally do not like putting them on pheasants when they are young, because of the birds running, but as long as they are not catching and you are not shooting you've got good times ahead. With one exception. The chase can become their favorite game. You've gotta stop it. Many ways to do this and you need to find what works for you, read different methods and find a nearby club to work with if you can.

Sometimes you just need to get out the energy before you hunt or train. Look at some roading options or try to run somewhere without birds first. You may be sweatin this, but I promise you, that's a dog that can prove to be one jam up birddog with time and direction.

Others may chime in and take it all in and filter it all through what you can do and keep consistant with.

GSPnewbie

Post by GSPnewbie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Thank you Mtndogs. I got Axel at 9 weeks old from a breeder in Pink Hill, NC last December. He has been a challenge as a Puppy due to the High Energy level. I was lucky enough to find a trainer in New Hampshire who works with Pointers. Thanks to him, Axel and I have come a long way. He requested that I not shoot any birds he busts and I have honored that. The unfortunate part is he is gone for the month of October while he guides Woodcock and Grouse hunts in Maine. So hopefully he doesn't develop too many bad habits.

You sure are right about a 4 year old at Christmas. My real concern is that he is going to hurt himself at these speeds but he has been conditioning since last March. Seeing a dog going all out and do a 90 degree turn and stop is amazing. I didn't mean to hijack this post just add to it with a similiar situation.

If I may ask one more question. How long is too long to run these young dogs. Friday, I had him out 5 hours straight. Brought him home fed and watered him then brought him out for another 3. Aside, from the abrasions and cuts he got in the field he seemed ok until I got him home when he seemed to be licking his feet an awful lot. I imagine they were sore but he showed absolutely no signs of fatigue in the field. Again, he has been running quite a bit this summer and is in the best shape. However, like a marathoner with chin splints I imagine similiar damage could be done to his bones and muscles.

Thanks again..........