Failure to Retrieve

RdHawg

Failure to Retrieve

Post by RdHawg » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 am

I have 2. 4 Yo Griffons They point really well and love to find pheasants, but I'm having a bugger of a time getting them to bring them back. Noah will bring me back live ones - But only if I walk the other way. (I guess He figures the dead ones I can get myself) The other one, Neo, will chase them down when they hit the ground but then he just walks away to go find another bird - how do I fix that? Unfortunately I've let this problem go on way too long so I'm sure it'll take a while to fix but I'm just not sure how. I've tried getting them to find/retrieve my freezer Chuker at the house with 50/50 success. Unfortunately I don't have the finances to hire a pro - even If I did I'm not sure how I'd find one in my area (SF BAY Kalifornia).

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Failure to Retrieve

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 am

I think FF would go a long way... I'm hiring someone. Maybe someone will be able to recommend a book and you could DIY.

bently

Post by bently » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

If you do go the force fetch route, you may want someone else do it. Since there is some pain associated to the training the dog might not look at you the same way if you do it yourself. I have heard of trainers swapping dogs so they don't force fetch their own.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Force fetch sounds like your answer and some of the best in the business are the Dobbs folks in northern Ca...I would start there. Years ago, they would give you a "starter" deal that you could pay for an hour or so in help and return for an hourly rate if you needed a tune up or boost along.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:38 pm

If your gonna do it your self get Mark Paytons DVD Reliable Retrieving you can get it on LionCountrySupply.com its under there video section I believe. great video if you wanna learn how to FF

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 pm

"If you do go the force fetch route, you may want someone else do it. Since there is some pain associated to the training the dog might not look at you the same way if you do it yourself. I have heard of trainers swapping dogs so they don't force fetch their own."

Its exactly how you want a dog to look at you ur the master leader of the pack period.. It's a good idea to get sum help but you should do it yourself the BOND IT CREATES BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR DOG IS UNREAL, in my opinion its the only way to get maxium copperation. FF fetch is the foundation of all training it teaches a dog it has to exacute the camand given whether its heel,retreive, duck search, hunt, sit, down what ever it is, the dog has no other option than to do so. I would recomend joining a local DAVHDA chapter ,the help you will recieve will be hands on an better than any book you can buy an free of charge. If i can do it you can too.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:35 am

Hattrick wrote:"If you do go the force fetch route, you may want someone else do it. Since there is some pain associated to the training the dog might not look at you the same way if you do it yourself. I have heard of trainers swapping dogs so they don't force fetch their own."

Its exactly how you want a dog to look at you ur the master leader of the pack period.. It's a good idea to get sum help but you should do it yourself the BOND IT CREATES BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR DOG IS UNREAL, in my opinion its the only way to get maxium copperation. FF fetch is the foundation of all training it teaches a dog it has to exacute the camand given whether its heel,retreive, duck search, hunt, sit, down what ever it is, the dog has no other option than to do so. I would recomend joining a local DAVHDA chapter ,the help you will recieve will be hands on an better than any book you can buy an free of charge. If i can do it you can too.
+1 and well said.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RdHawg

Post by RdHawg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Took both of em out saturday to round up some liberated phez. They both did very well in the locating but Neo as usual wanted nothing to do with the retrieving part of the job. His Brother did wonderfully though and brought back 4/5 (The other got scooped up before we gave him a chance).

I tried a little FF training for a couple days b4, and the morning of at the Farm. I quickly realized at the farm was not the place as there was just too much excitement for them and neither could focus. It accured to me that if they didn't already know it at home they sure weren't going to learn it the morning of.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I might give the Dobbs folks a call.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:01 pm

RdHawg wrote:I tried a little FF training for a couple days b4, and the morning of at the Farm. I quickly realized at the farm was not the place as there was just too much excitement for them and neither could focus. It accured to me that if they didn't already know it at home they sure weren't going to learn it the morning of.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I might give the Dobbs folks a call.

FF is something you have to be committed to and once started needs to go through completion without interruption, or as little interruption as possible. It can very negative results when doing a little here and a little there, and not going through completion. For best results if you are not going to complete the job yourself, do the dogs and whomever you eventually have do the FF and stop doing anything kind of FF with the dogs.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 am

RdHawg wrote:I have 2. 4 Yo Griffons They point really well and love to find pheasants, but I'm having a bugger of a time getting them to bring them back. Noah will bring me back live ones - But only if I walk the other way. (I guess He figures the dead ones I can get myself) The other one, Neo, will chase them down when they hit the ground but then he just walks away to go find another bird - how do I fix that? Unfortunately I've let this problem go on way too long so I'm sure it'll take a while to fix but I'm just not sure how. I've tried getting them to find/retrieve my freezer Chuker at the house with 50/50 success. Unfortunately I don't have the finances to hire a pro - even If I did I'm not sure how I'd find one in my area (SF BAY Kalifornia).
The most complete and detailed course on force fetching is called "SmartFetch". It's 2 discs, 2 1/2 hours of detail on every aspect of the process, and it makes it as simple to follow and understand as it can be made to be. New trainers do the work themselves everyday successfully. Below are a couple examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxo6wdHl2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAIFgb3Ki0

You will see various breeds of gundogs being FF'd in this course, including several Griff's. Let me know if I can be of help along the way.
http://www.rushcreekpress.com/booksdvds.html

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum