Rick Smith Seminars Feb 2011 Foundation and Intermediate

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Rick Smith Seminars Feb 2011 Foundation and Intermediate

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:05 pm

If you're looking for a better relationship with your dog, both at home and in the field, you've come to the right place.
From puppyhood through the basics of being a bird dog, all the basic skills you and your dog will need can be found here. You will be trained to train your dog, with Rick and Ronnie's guidance.

You'll work with the Command Lead, check cord, and whoa post, as well as the chain, and your dog will have numerous opportunities to work birds. These seminars are very popular and fill rapidly, so please call the host to reserve your spot or contact Rick or Ronnie.
Foundation Seminars are $400 per student. Send check Made to Rick Smith to hold your spot.
Note: The check will not be cashed until after the seminar

The seminars start at 6:30 PM on Friday night lasting until Sunday afternoon.

Foundation Seminar Schedule
February 18-20, 2011
Coolidge, AZ
Instructor:
Rick Smith

Desert Pheasant Recreation
774 N. Wheeler Rd
Coolidge, AZ 85228
Arlette Hennessey (520) 705-2584

Then

Intermediate Seminars are $800 per student, limited to 12 students and a 50% deposit is needed to reserve your spot.

Prerequisite: Must have attended a Foundation Seminar

If your dog has the foundation prepared and you're ready for a new challenge, sign up for the Intermediate Seminar! You will work one-on-one with your instructor on live pigeons in field conditions. This will help you work out any basic problems you've been having, as well as providing your dog with numerous opportunities to hunt.

The Camaraderie, support and fun helps everybody learn, and you'll be amazed at the difference these finishing touches can make. As you watch your fellow participants with their dogs, you'll find yourself learning by leaps and bounds. Don't miss this!

Intermediate Seminar Schedule
February 24-27, 2011
Coolidge, AZ
Instructor:
Rick Smith

Desert Pheasant Recreation
774 N. Wheeler Rd
Coolidge, AZ 85228
Arlette Hennessey (520) 705-2584
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoseRich

Re: Rick Smith Seminars Feb 2011 Foundation and Intermediate

Post by RoseRich » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 am

knine, What is the suggested age for the Foundation Seminar? I've got the Smith videos and would like to go to the seminars. When the Foundation Seminar gets closest to me, my dog will be a little over 5 months. Too young, or is that about right? Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 pm

The Seminar is for You .

I would take the young dog this is where you can start some ground work like the chain gang and some beginning stuff . Here I always bring some older dogs so if i have the person with a young dog or they don't have a dog yet they can borrow one of mine to get the hands on part of the seminar.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoseRich

Post by RoseRich » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to it, but didn't want to be that guy. If nothing else, I'd be happy to watch and ask questions when something is too advanced for my pup or he's worn out.

Good luck w/ your seminars.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:35 pm

I love to see people get in on a seminar before or right when they get their pup. That is getting the right start trying to be a step ahead not a step behind.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 am

Any seminars close to Fargo, ND?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am

http://www.huntsmith.com/seminars.php

that is a link to the 2011 schedule. You are more then welcome to fly here to AZ where it is warmer and I will loan you a dog for the seminar :lol:

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 pm

kninebirddog wrote:http://www.huntsmith.com/seminars.php

that is a link to the 2011 schedule. You are more then welcome to fly here to AZ where it is warmer and I will loan you a dog for the seminar :lol:
K9 thanks for the info! Looks like June is the seminar in MN. A trip to AZ in February would be fabulous, the weather is getting old here, but I've got a wedding that weekend and I need to save that money for the britt puppy I bought my dad. Maybe we can both go to the MN seminar. He'll be getting his pup in March. Thanks again for the info!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 pm

I would think that nearly 90% of the newbe questions asked here would be answered if people would only attend.

Rick gets 5 stars!

Neil

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 am

People always squirm over $350 for a 2 1/2 day seminar yet don't bat an eye at spending $600 for a pup, make mistakes trying to train it on their own then spend a thousand dollars sending it to a pro to fix the problems they created :?

Reminds me of a friend who was a beginner golfer. He asked me how much he should spend on a set of clubs. I told him to buy a $250 set and spend about $600 on a series of lessons. He wound up spending $1,000 on a pro set and pounded balls at a driving range untill he a "groved a real nice slice".....then he signed up for lessons and spent twice the amount because the pro had to "un-train" his swing and start over. :|

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:People always squirm over $350 for a 2 1/2 day seminar yet don't bat an eye at spending $600 for a pup, make mistakes trying to train it on their own then spend a thousand dollars sending it to a pro to fix the problems they created :?

Reminds me of a friend who was a beginner golfer. He asked me how much he should spend on a set of clubs. I told him to buy a $250 set and spend about $600 on a series of lessons. He wound up spending $1,000 on a pro set and pounded balls at a driving range until he a "groved a real nice slice".....then he signed up for lessons and spent twice the amount because the pro had to "un-train" his swing and start over. :|
Guess I'm outdated but I still squirm over $350 or $600. Guess I shouldn't since I would still have $100 left in my SS check to live on for the next month. I know I squirmed back when the kids were smaller too over lot less than that. Plus I can't think of a single person that had to send their dog to a pro to undo the things they did wrong. I would like to think that most people kind of think a little like me and when they buy a dog a large part of owning it is the working and playing with it. And training a hunting dog is only about a 10th as hard as we like to convince people it is.

We have to remember there is a big big difference in what we feel a dog should be trained to do compared to the average family pet hunting dog. If you have the time and money to attend a seminar I would sure advise you do it. If not you can still train your dog to be a very good hunting dog by asking some questions, or watching how someone else has done it, or work with someone with a little experience and have a lot of fun and satisfaction when you are through.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:People always squirm over $350 for a 2 1/2 day seminar yet don't bat an eye at spending $600 for a pup, make mistakes trying to train it on their own then spend a thousand dollars sending it to a pro to fix the problems they created :?

Reminds me of a friend who was a beginner golfer. He asked me how much he should spend on a set of clubs. I told him to buy a $250 set and spend about $600 on a series of lessons. He wound up spending $1,000 on a pro set and pounded balls at a driving range until he a "groved a real nice slice".....then he signed up for lessons and spent twice the amount because the pro had to "un-train" his swing and start over. :|
Guess I'm outdated but I still squirm over $350 or $600. Guess I shouldn't since I would still have $100 left in my SS check to live on for the next month. I know I squirmed back when the kids were smaller too over lot less than that. Plus I can't think of a single person that had to send their dog to a pro to undo the things they did wrong. I would like to think that most people kind of think a little like me and when they buy a dog a large part of owning it is the working and playing with it. And training a hunting dog is only about a 10th as hard as we like to convince people it is.

We have to remember there is a big big difference in what we feel a dog should be trained to do compared to the average family pet hunting dog. If you have the time and money to attend a seminar I would sure advise you do it. If not you can still train your dog to be a very good hunting dog by asking some questions, or watching how someone else has done it, or work with someone with a little experience and have a lot of fun and satisfaction when you are through.

Ezzy
Ezzy,

Other than the squirming over money part, I disagree with every point you have made. I do understand about money being tight, and the need to set priorities and budgets.

But if you cannot afford to properly care for a pointing dog, you shouldn't get one. Part of that care is to learn to train it properly. Every new pointing dog owner should budget for it.

The problem with your suggestions of asking questions, watching someone or even a gaining training partner is that you will only learn what that person knows.

And going by the advice often given here they can be lacking in knowledge and understanding.

Rick knows how to train a dog, and even better he knows how to impart that knowledge in a short period.

There have been a lot of dogs harmed by following your advice.

Neil

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 am

I've never been to any type of seminar similar to this, I think it would be interesting and a good time. So hopefully the MN seminar works. I'd like to at least experience it so I can make an accurate judgment whether or not its worth the money.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 am

Reminds me of a friend who was a beginner golfer. He asked me how much he should spend on a set of clubs. I told him to buy a $250 set and spend about $600 on a series of lessons. He wound up spending $1,000 on a pro set and pounded balls at a driving range untill he a "groved a real nice slice".....then he signed up for lessons and spent twice the amount because the pro had to "un-train" his swing and start over. :|
We get some every year where the owners want us to Fix their dog which they messed up because they tried to DIY and though they could read a book they sure couldn't read their dog. Or found they had no patience to do things and wanted instant results
Which Thankfully that is what Seminars are for so one can get that hands on and where they can get something which no book can offer ..Key signs of when a dog is accepting learning or getting confused.

Even trainers can get something from sitting on other trainers seminars should they be open enough to do it.

Even Tiger Woods has a coach :wink:

Oh PS if at the end of the first day you do not feel like you are getting your monies worth go tell Rick and he will hand you your check back..I have yet to see anyone not like his seminars pretty much everyone I have spoken with after his seminar felt that they got well more then their monies worth and I have been hosting them for quite a few years now

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Interesting points. I've been thinking about taking the seminar, but I'm not sure. If I do, it would be later in the summer, and those guys do travel around a good bit, since there will be sessions closer to me.

I've got the first Huntsmith Puppy Development DVD and it is good stuff. But I've also made arrangements with a local trainer for every other week one-on-one sessions, with 'assignments' (things to work on) between sessions and I think that may work better for me. I like the idea of shorter, repeated sessions spread out over time, with the opportunity for real time individual feedback from a pro. I think I'll give that a try first.

It's not about the money. I suspect the route I'm going will cost me more than a Rick Smith seminar would. It's more about format and personal learning styles. But, for sure, the DIY newbie needs real time support from knowledgeable people rather than just relying on books, dvds and (yes, I'm afraid it's true) internet forums.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Where was this advice when I bought my last dog?!?!?! :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 am

My wife and I are signed up already for the weekend seminar in August at Gold Creek here in Canada. This seminar only comes once a year here and its money well spent. I agree that if money is tight you have pick your priorities but when decided last year we wanted to attend this year we put a few bucks here and there away and I dont know about other places but Ed from Gold creek doesnt ask for a deposit or payment until a few months before so you even have more time to get him the cash. We will be bringing our pup with us and she will be 8 months by then. PRICELESS amount of info!! (brian)
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 am

ElectricShorthairs wrote:

Where was this advice when I bought my last dog?!?!?! :lol:
I didn't get the memo either and paid the price with my first Britt that I turned into a blinker. Not real proud of that :( Like our kids, sometimes our first ones pay the price for our inexperience. Believe me, I understand the money part of the equation, but for some people it is all about choices. Many of us who have ever owned a dog think that we can train a dog with out any coaching. After all, I had a dog since I was a small kid :wink: What can be so tough about this :lol: Boy was I wrong. :| 15 minutes of misguided training and you set the dog back for months if not for ever

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Just a reminder of the Seminar coming up and there are still some openings

burke

Post by burke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 am

Neil wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
Ezzy,

Other than the squirming over money part, I disagree with every point you have made. I do understand about money being tight, and the need to set priorities and budgets.

But if you cannot afford to properly care for a pointing dog, you shouldn't get one. Part of that care is to learn to train it properly. Every new pointing dog owner should budget for it.

The problem with your suggestions of asking questions, watching someone or even a gaining training partner is that you will only learn what that person knows.

And going by the advice often given here they can be lacking in knowledge and understanding.

Rick knows how to train a dog, and even better he knows how to impart that knowledge in a short period.

There have been a lot of dogs harmed by following your advice.

Neil
Both you gentleman have valid points here and I bet you have quality dogs that you enjoy hunting over.

I have been to and helped sponsor three or four of Rick' Seminars. My first one was actually with Delmar and Rick. I would attend again. I also trained my first pointing dog before any seminar, I was a DIY trainer, I asked questions from a friend, read books etc. He turned out to be a fine hunting dog. He also placed in several NSTRA trials later on and earned three of five legs of his AKC hunt test title. Had he not died of cancer at 12 years old we would have finished the title. We started Hunt Tests pretty late obviously. My second dog was post seminars w/ the Smiths. Is my second dog better trained because of the seminar, no doubt, but she is also better trained because I learned from the first DIY dog. I have been down both roads. DIY budget road and spend more to learn road.

Are there people out there that are not or will not be as successful as DIY trainers, yup there are. Once upon a time in a dog club I was a member of, the membership dwindled and the support and entries for events was just not there. Yet the prominent club members insisted that all members train to the same high standards they had set for themselves and their own dogs dogs. The average guy who wants a hunting companion doesnt want to campaign his dog, therefore is not going to seek the support from those club members with high standards and the organization suffers.

Some people recognize that they do not have the sills, time or what ever and they get the dog completely trained by a pro. I see the value in that and good for the dog, but I personally like to train and watch the dog develop. I know that I might have a dog with more flaws than the pro-trained dog, but I accept that. We all choose the level, methods and time investment that suits our needs.

I know a few guys who have well bred sporting dogs and they are nothing less than pets, couch potatoes. Do I believe it is a waste of potential dog, you betch ya. How ever it is that guys choice and the dogs are not neglected, abused or unloved.
All we can do is to offer our 2 cents to those folks who have dogs, share resources like the seminars etc and accept the choice they make. A guy who has the dog that only accidentally bumps a bird in gun range and only stands near the dead bird rather than retrieve it, is better than the guy who flushes birds dogless, shoots and never recovers the bird because his eyes are not as good as a dogs nose.

A litlle bit of a ramble here, but cant quite get myself to delete...it is nice to see that the disagreement here is civil. Thanks

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm

burke--

I'm glad you didn't delete. It may have been a ramble, but it was a very helpful ramble for this newbie.