pigeons for training

speedysteel

pigeons for training

Post by speedysteel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Does anybody know where i can get pigeons for dog training around Wichita KS area any help is appreciated. I have a 6wk old female black pointing lab and want to get her on birds asap. thx, Jeremy 316-409-8939

jimssetters

Re: pigeons for training

Post by jimssetters » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:09 pm

This seems to be a sore subject as I have not got any info on the same question. I have posted on a couple sites with no luck. Good luck and if I ever get info I will let you know.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Keep an eye on craigslist, I see them for sale around here and it's mostly pigeon enthusiasts. Just don't tell them that you may shoot a few, they won't sell their pets to you if they think you'll just shoot them.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:55 pm

PM sent.

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 pm

If you're desperate call a pigeon racig club and act like you're just getting started in the hobby and wanted to get started cheap.

Just don’t tell them why you’re interested in keeping birds, they’ll stonewall you.

Even if you never plan to kill a bird they won’t like the idea of you training a dog that could be used for hunting. A breeder I was talking to was going to give me some “Culls” until I told him what I wanted them for. I later came to find out that Culls are birds that they kill because of their inferior quality for racing; turns out he’d rather kill the birds himself than let them live to train a dog.

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:15 pm

bandito I recently had the exact same experience thats why I started the post on the DIY pigeon trap so far my trap has done pretty good 3 days out checking it once in the morning and once in the evening and so far I have counted 46 birds I have let out,now I guarantee 95% of those were the same birds since I have not used them for anything but a test on my traps efficiency but it does work and I built it cheap as possible

Bandito

Post by Bandito » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Wow that's awesome usmc... Where are you placing your trap?

Are the pigeons banded or feral? Do you plan to start a loft? if sounds like you can just trap pleanty of birds for training...

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm

I built one of your traps today. What size opening for your doors? Wish me luck.

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:35 pm

I used 6x6" thought I posted that must have missed it will make sure to include that,and the best way I found is go ahead and prefab the bobs if you are going to use that style door by twisting them up,taking a permanent marker and marking them where they are equal and using some of the left over coat hangers just to wrap around the man hinge as spacers to make it nice and even and they don't get in the way of the bobs swinging freely and I get my birds from about 2 blocks away I live by an interstate overpass,went out started throwin a few handfuls of cheap birdseed around for a day or so and then I buy one of those bird feeder bells,the solid birdseed one shaped like a bell and stick it inside the cage on the 3rd day and 99% of my birds are feral,have caught one banded one