Strength training anyone?

RabbitBeagle

Strength training anyone?

Post by RabbitBeagle » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:07 pm

So does there any sort of weight that I can put on my dogs collar to make it weigh more and slowly progress the weight so her neck gets stronger?I could make one pretty easy, but if it's already been done then why reinvent the wheel.

ShadowChaser

Post by ShadowChaser » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:15 pm

I think Mr. T had a good method of adding weight to his neck :lol:

Why do you want your beagle's neck stronger? I don't see an advantage. He'll still be able to get them wabbits and tree squirrels and what not.

What do you have in mind? Inquiring minds want to know.

RabbitBeagle

Post by RabbitBeagle » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:21 pm

Well, if she has an extra 1-2 lbs on her neck all day. When I take her to hunt I would think that it would help with muscle endurance. Just like anything, why do professional athletes train? Because they need to.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:00 pm

I'm not what you would call a pro but I do have a thought about this:

You're right in saying that professional athletes train because they need to, but they train sport specifically as well. Unless you're beagle is going to be lifting logs and brush instead of running under logs and through brush I think you'd be better off running conditioning drills and sessions vs. messing with putting weight on it's neck. Just one man's opinion..................

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Make it two mens opinion and I'm sure most everyone will join us.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:59 pm

I think Barry Bonds may be able to hook you up with a guy at BALCO that could put some muscle on that dog (allegedly) :lol:

Rut

RabbitBeagle

Post by RabbitBeagle » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:39 am

It was just a question fellas.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:11 am

And they're only answers. Nothing of offense intended.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:12 pm

My only comment would be that you might want to be careful about putting extra weight around a puppies neck. Until they are fully grown it might cause undo stress and strain on other joints. Maybe check with your vet.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:23 pm

I ditto that about being careful with a puppy..now once pups is fully matured a method which i know some people use to help build up endurance is using a roading harness and adding logging chains and having the dog pull that
or roading harness and making the dog stay at a good pace for 15 20 minutes plus

But not the neck this would put do much undo stress in the wrong areas

You will find unless you planning on some major endurance trials which require a faster run and a long run most dogs with proper excersise and nutrition will last for a long time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:34 am

Just take your pup on walks of increasing length. Right now, you should do it in fields that are mowed. If your pup gets tired, you've gone too far. Think 5 minutes or so at first and work up.

RabbitBeagle

Post by RabbitBeagle » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:56 am

don't get me wrong fellas i was not going to do this while she is still a pup. I was going to wait another 1 1/2 before I started doing anything.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm

With no intention to be rude to anyone on this list, please be careful what you read. Some of it is just.....not shoe shine.

It would be interesting for us all if you gave the reasoning you heard or read behind putting muscle on your pups neck.

I suspect... that it is a mix up with having an older dog carrying heavier weights so it can pick up and carry geese & hare easily.

:)

Dufi

The older dog carrying heavier weights

Post by Dufi » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 am

As I am SM owner and the Czech hares and foxes are a bit too large and heavy for them, I have to train my dogs' strenght.
I am not putting any extra weight around their necks. I train with dummies and go from the lightest one to the 4 kg one, but I never start before the dog is at least one year old.
I start with holding the dummy, than walking with the dummy, than walking up and down the stairs with the dummy and the last step is when I ride my bike and the dog is running with the dummy(I don't used the heaviest one in this case I use the 2 kg one and at the time when the dog is old enough - 2 years old, I also do not ride a long distance about 1 or 2 km - it is just a morning exercise to keep the dog in shape. I train searching, pointing, blind retrievs, drags in the afternoon when I come back from my job.)
Hope this will be usefull to anybody...

Dufi

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 am

alot of us in the US do a conditioning process called "roading" where the dog pulls against a load. very similar to what the sled dog people do, in fact, we trade info. with them and they cross-breed to our dogs.

roading is different from what you are doing though, it is pulling against a light load, not lifting. pulling a cart, pulling from a horse, pulling a dog scooter, pulling chain dragged on the ground. the purpose is different than what you describe - we do it to condition the dogs for hunting and field trialing, especially in varying heat conditions.

not sure that this relates to what you are doing, except that we are told by the pro trainers, who do alot of this on many dogs to stay away from placing a load on the dog that it will have to lift while running. they feel that can cause repetitive use injuries.

so for what it is worth, i would see no problem with having the dog carry a dummy, which is a load the dog can control if it becomes uncomfortable. the weighted collar idea would concern me a little because if it is uncomfortable or causing repetitive use injury, the dog has no way of letting you know.

i do know that human exercise physiologists are particularly sensitive about using weight lifting to strengthen the neck. risk of injury is too high.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:42 pm

Dufi, I run a GSP but it is interesting to read what you posted. Thanks
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618