Doves for bird intro?

mudpuppy1299

Doves for bird intro?

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:18 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used doves to introduce their pups to birds? Unfortunately there aren't any wild birds in my area and I am in the process of building a quail pen, but won't have the birds until early summer. Has any ever introduced their young pup to a dead dove for bird intro?

AzDoggin

Re: Doves for bird intro?

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:35 pm

For me it would be a last resort. Reportedly, there are even some trained dogs who hate doves. Seem's like the feathers dislodge easier than other birds and the dog always ends up with a mouthful of feathers.

I'll bet there is somebody on here who has done it successfully, tho

Edit - you'd be fine with live doves as teasers and flyaways for a pup. I just wouldn't use dead ones - may just be me, though.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:11 pm

mudpuppy1299 wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has ever used doves to introduce their pups to birds? Unfortunately there aren't any wild birds in my area and I am in the process of building a quail pen, but won't have the birds until early summer. Has any ever introduced their young pup to a dead dove for bird intro?
Was stated before, most states doves are federally protected. That's why some states have a dove season and some don't. Check you regs before you start.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:12 pm

AzDoggin wrote:For me it would be a last resort. Reportedly, there are even some trained dogs who hate doves. Seem's like the feathers dislodge easier than other birds and the dog always ends up with a mouthful of feathers.

I'll bet there is somebody on here who has done it successfully, tho

Edit - you'd be fine with live doves as teasers and flyaways for a pup. I just wouldn't use dead ones - may just be me, though.
Plus I think it would be illegal in most states to use a migratory bird for training.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:26 pm

I like to run pups in dove fields and let them chase when ever possible.
AzDoggin wrote:Edit - you'd be fine with live doves as teasers and flyaways for a pup. I just wouldn't use dead ones - may just be me, though.

I also see no use for a dead one.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Here in ontario, canada you cant hunt them OR use them for training..i would check regulations..ive heard dogs dont like to mouth them anyway, try pigeons until you can get quail..jmo....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Good point on the legality issue; I was just eyeing the flock of doves in my back yard and thinking they would be easy to access! I mentioned introducing a dead bird because it is what Huntsmith recommends in their puppy development video.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:09 pm

mudpuppy1299 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Good point on the legality issue; I was just eyeing the flock of doves in my back yard and thinking they would be easy to access! I mentioned introducing a dead bird because it is what Huntsmith recommends in their puppy development video.
:D Many many years ago I had my .22 on a family camping trip with our very young pup (maybe 10-11 weeks). Shot a tweeter for my pup - she grabbed it and ran off and hid down in some laydown logs next to a creek. I was scared sh**less because I couldn't find her for the longest time. When I finally did, the bird was basically shredded. I'll say it served the purpose to stoke the fires in my pup, but wasn't executed quite the way I had it planned.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:17 pm

I have never used a dead bird of any kind for intro. I want live birds to get them fired up.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:34 pm

mudpuppy1299 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Good point on the legality issue; I was just eyeing the flock of doves in my back yard and thinking they would be easy to access! I mentioned introducing a dead bird because it is what Huntsmith recommends in their puppy development video.
They use a smothered quail to intro a very young puppy to smelling and mouthing a bird and build up the interest in the bird and it is basically one time depending on the pups interest after that it is live birds
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Legality depends on the type of dove......some of the states that have the invasive Eurasian Collared Dove allow shooting them yearround. That being said.....as the previous posters have said, and for all the same reasons, I would not use a dove (dead or otherwise) to introduce a dog to birds...

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Get yourself a pigeon and clip the wing feathers so it can move around but not fly away, turn the pup loose with the bird and stand back.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 am

The first real hunting my 13 month old EP pup did last year at 8 months was dove hunting in Sept. He retrieved every dove I shot all season before moving on to quail and pheasant. The dove is just the "bleep" cousin of the pigeon that so many use for training anyway. That being said the feathers do come out easily in the mouth of a hardmouth dog much easier than some other types of birds. If you want to use dead birds for bird intro I would use a frozen quail it helps keep a dog from becoming hardmouth since they do not really want to bite down on the frozen bird. Good luck.