loud noises.

jimbo&rooster

loud noises.

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 am

Ok Im sure this has been beat to death but here goes. My 17mo GSP is not gunshy in the least. he has had several hundred rounds fired over him between training and hunting and is fine with it. he does however get scared easily by loud noises, for example the other day I decided that since he is about to run his first HT this weekend I better intro him to horses, he did fine hunted good and didnt pay much attention to my wife on horseback, but when we loaded the horse back into the trailer he was over it, the sound of the horse stomping in the trailer freaked him out, and when I tried to catch him he acted like he was in trouble.... Should I just chalk this up as a learning experience and assume that he will get used to it? this is just an example he is also scared of thunder and other random loud noises. Is this just somthng ill have to live with?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

General V

Re: loud noises.

Post by General V » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 am

It is best that when you know there is going to be sounds that he is unfamiliar with to have him on a leash. We talked about this on another forum and it was decided that it is best to be back around 50ft from the new noise and once the dog doesnt re-act to the noise to move forward until the dog is reacting afgain and wait until they settle down keep doing this until you right next to the noise. Dont reasure the dog just be cool and confidant yourself that will let your dog know that nothing is wrong.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:31 am

Just curious as to why you had to chase him and catch him...that right there made his situation worse...I am pointing this out so when you have another situation you know what not to do.

I agree with the other poster...
I would get the dog working in the yard on a leash I prefer the command lead with a light hand add distrations and any time the dogs attention Begins to divert off ou what you two are doing Cue him back with you..this should be light handed cues..and by cueing him when his attention diverts off of you, you will also be able to begin working him through some issues

Start from a distance as suggested just keep walking around as soon the dogs attention begins to divert just simply give a light tug on the leash and redirect him to being mentally with you not other things

Take it slow find you dogs comfort zone and work in inches then stop when you have him comfortably working at a distance...do not over do if you can work a few minutes here and a couple inches there then go away put him on a stake out or in his kennel for him to absorb that nothing bad happened to him for at least 10 minutes or so then let him out try again if you have the time or release him in the yard and resume another time..The slower and smaller the increments you can do you will find your dog can over come quite a bit

Also agree 100% do not reassure your dog with your voice..as you will only distract him and your reassurance will be of the state of mind HE is not not the one you want him to be in

Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am

I never said that I chased him, and catch probly should have been replaced with recalled. Though i understand where you are coming from. i actually had him by the collar getting ready to put him up but my wife who has been out of town for a couple days wanted to see him before i put him up, so I let him go and about that time the horse started stomping and acting foolish in the trailer and my pup bolted. He is a little skittish any how,
i didnt get him till he was 3mos old and he never really got socialized. Im kinda hoping that once we get our house finished and move down to the farm here in a week or two he will get used to being around random sounds and the horses.

I thank ya'll for your suggestions

Jim

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Ok Im sure this has been beat to death but here goes. My 17mo GSP is not gunshy in the least. he has had several hundred rounds fired over him between training and hunting and is fine with it. he does however get scared easily by loud noises, for example the other day I decided that since he is about to run his first HT this weekend I better intro him to horses, he did fine hunted good and didnt pay much attention to my wife on horseback, but when we loaded the horse back into the trailer he was over it, the sound of the horse stomping in the trailer freaked him out, and when I tried to catch him he acted like he was in trouble.... Should I just chalk this up as a learning experience and assume that he will get used to it? this is just an example he is also scared of thunder and other random loud noises. Is this just somthng ill have to live with?

Jim

Sorry was just going off what you said here
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 am

understood. I learned along time ago all that I ever got from chasing a dog was tired and mad.

jim

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:understood. I learned along time ago all that I ever got from chasing a dog was tired and mad.

jim
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: