Need some advise

Breton13

Need some advise

Post by Breton13 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:57 pm

Hello all, I need some advice on my pup (told you I was going to need alot of help :wink: )
Penny is 8 weeks, and a fireball. She's a good pup, but we seem to disagree on who's in charge :oops: Biggest problem is biting, well not so much the biting itself (she's a pup I know), but the situations. If I walk her on a leash she's fine (for now), but out in the yard she's permanently attached to my pantleg. Still not so bad. The hands are the worst. I don't let her hurt me, but it still concerns me. I've been trying all the "no-bite" advice on this site, but to no use. I keep her down until she stops squirming, tell her no etc. Still, after we seem to agree, she seems more aggrevated, and she starts biting as soon as I pet her for ANY reason. I can't figure out if I'm too hard too soon, or too soft on her. I don't know if I'm giving in too soon, or aggrevating her. I know it's all my problem (don't blame it on the dog), and want to correct my training, and "nip this in the butt".
My husband says he doesn't have the same problem with her, but says he's "male", and it helps?
I have two young children, and was also wondering if this is confusing her position in the "flock".
Please, any help I can get, before I mess up my dog :sad5:

littleking

Post by littleking » Tue May 23, 2006 1:19 pm

for biting hands, stick your finger down their throat to half gag them when they try to bite... cured my problem INSTANTLY

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue May 23, 2006 1:26 pm

I'm glad the question was asked because I'm having the same trouble. My wife will not do the corrections as I ask, so the pup is taking a stronger liking to her. This has been the case with every dog we have ever owned. If I correct the pup, it gets mad at me and only hangs by her. I hate to tell her to have no interaction with the pup, but I think that may be what it takes if I plan to get this dog trained properly. After all, it is a hunting dog first and a pet second.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue May 23, 2006 1:42 pm

they grow out of it. at 8 weeks, this is not a sign of aggression, it is the behaviour they learn in the litter.

see http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 82&start=0

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Again part of the reason they need to be with littermates and mom at thAt age. Let them teach not to bite or get biten back.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Tue May 23, 2006 3:03 pm

Just wanting to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I correct her if she get's too rough, just like any other doggy-mommy, but I'll be patient. First puppy..... :dontknow:

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Wed May 24, 2006 6:28 am

You should teach your puppy how to bite BEFORE teaching him to stop biting. You absolutely must be patient with this but I think it is very very important. When the puppy stay for a long time with their litter mates they learn bite inhibition. However at 8 weeks, this training is not complete so it is up to you to finish it.

Make it obvious for the puppy that it hurts you when he bites, then ignore him (turn your back) for a minute or leave him alone. When he settles down, give him a treat. There is no greater correction for a puppy then stop playing. If you phisically correct him, you challenge him and this will take forever. By ignoring him and treating him when he settles down, you teach him the correct behavior and he will soon learn what he has to do to continue playing.

Yes your hands will suffer for a while but when he has learned to control his jaws, you have far better chances that if he bites as an adult, damage will be minimal. This is my opinion but also a proven fact.

Then you can work on the no biting behavior. Now you don't just ignore him when he bites too hard, but whenever he bites you. He already knows the drill so he should understand quickly that he has to stop if he wants to play.

Reinforcing good behaviors is far more efficient than correcting bad ones.

Pierre

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Wed May 24, 2006 7:05 am

I just roll them on there back and hold them there for a bit till they calm down, seems to only take a few times. if they are really wired then I will pinch there mouth closed with light preasure for a second, just enough to make them uncomfortable. they should learn pretty fast that its not much fun to bite.

Justin

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:48 am

Well, I've already been holding her down until she settles. i've been prasing her when she stops, but then we're back to square one. Now what i do is putting her back in the kitchen when she gets too rough, or bites too hard. I'll just have to figure out what she resoponds too. I know she's young, but I want the limits to be clear. My problem is I've been waiting excitedly for the pup for so long, I think I have to give myself a time-out from time to time :lol:

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Wed May 24, 2006 8:56 am

I agree that it takes lots lots of patience but it will pay off and time outs will remain you sane :lol:

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 am

If it were not for time outs i would have my teeth ground down to nubs and my hair pulled out...they are much needed