launcher introduction

pinebrookkennel

launcher introduction

Post by pinebrookkennel » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:51 pm

On another thread bossman said (please make sure she is introduced to launcher properly)
I understand the the reason, loud sound may scare pup and you don't want a negative reaction around birds. The question I have is how do others do this.
Thanks
Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

gittrdonebritts

Re: launcher introduction

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I take the dog out with a few birds in launchers already, placed in the field take them up wind so they don't smell the bird but can hear the launchers and pop the bird when there with in a decent hearing distance let them chase and move on the the next one 2-3 times and they should be fine with a launcher.
Last edited by gittrdonebritts on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:38 pm

I usually start by putting my launchers in the backyard (the launchers are not set, and no bird it inside). I let the pup smell them, and get used to seeing them. I pretty much ignore them, as if they aren’t even there. Once the pup is comfortable with them being in the yard, and pretty much ignores them, I set the launchers (still without a bird). I get the pup playing in the yard (with another dog, playing fetch, playing with the kids, etc.), any thing that consumes the pup’s attention. While the pup is engaged, I will pop a launcher. More than likely, the pup will ignore it or only show mild interest at the noise. Regardless of the reaction, I ignore it, as if nothing happened. I let the pup continue to play, and I will pop another one. I will do this until the pup shows no reaction to, or interest in, the sound.

Once the pup is at that point, I take the pup to the field, and plant the launchers with birds in them (usually pigeons because they are easy for the pup to see). I send the pup to hunt, and bring it around toward the launchers, and when I know the pup is going to see the bird, I pop the launcher. However, I always make sure the pup is a considerable distance from the launcher when I pop it. I want the pup close enough to hear the launcher and see the bird, but I don’t want the pup close to the launcher when it pops. Most pups will ignore the noise, and get excited about the bird flushing. That is a good sign. Work the pup on a few more traps, and if you get no adverse reaction, you should be ready to start using traps in training.

Be sure to judge the pup’s reaction to the sound. If it seems a little timid, and disturbed by the sound, just ignore it, and keep walking like nothing happened. Next time, pop the launcher from a greater distance. Do that until the dog shows it is comfortable with the launcher noise, and more interested in the bird. Then, you can start using the traps on training.

That is how I do it. Hope some of that helps.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:57 pm

thanks, I just picked up a bunch of launchers so I'll set em out in the yard like ya said - long as she don't chew on em :lol:

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:30 pm

How much should I worry about the sight point if I start with launchers in my yard.
Thanks
Jered
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:55 pm

pinebrookkennel wrote:How much should I worry about the sight point if I start with launchers in my yard.
Thanks
Jered
The way I do it is plant the launcher (with the bird) in cover that the dog can't see it. When I know the dog catches scent ill pop the bird...assuming the dog doesn't lock up. This is good if you have a dog that tries to creep...first step or move toward the bird I pop the launcher. It doesn't take long till it gets the idea.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Jered,

When you put the launchers in the yard it is only to let the pup gets used to the sight, smell, and sound of a launcher. There will not be any birds in them, so the pup won’t be pointing them. When you move the launchers to the field with birds, you should try not to let the pup get close enough to see the launchers. If the pup turns to toward the launcher without pointing immediately, you should pop the launcher so the bird gets away.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 am

Before you put out a laucher with a bird in it make sure the dog is birdy by teasing him with pigeons. Let him mouth the pigeons and chase them down. Do some retrieving with the pigeons and the dog on a check cord. Just make sure the dog is very birdy before going to the launchers. I usuually put a pigeon in a harness first and throw it out there and dance the bird in front of the dog. Then let him get his mouth on the bird. You want to make sure he knows what a bird is and matches the scent with the bird and not the scent with the launcher. Later in another session put out the launchers and see what he will do by launching birds furthest away from him. Do not lauch the bird he is smelling.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:32 am

I use a scent bird placed downwind of launcher this eliminates the issue all together the dog never is allowed to get close to the launcher therefore it will not be spooked.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks all,
Ill try playing fetch while poping launchers in the background. The bird work is going to have to be moved to the field. Running into a little problem with my wife and kids letting him out to potty. As soon as he hits the door he's off looking for those carded pigeons in the yard. Which is a good thing but :D @ night nobody likes to go out and bring him in, And I'm trying to get him some legs at this point so healing or checking him is out.
Thanks
Jered
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:09 am

Remember it is not just the sound of the launcher, it is, you do not want the dog/pup to have the launcher go off in its face.

When you do go to field with the launchers, I have found, for me have a stake or bush with a colored flag so you know where the launcher is.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 am

I introduce launchers in the yard as described by Prairiehunter, but I put favourite retrieving toys in the launcher. When it goes off at a distance from the pup (on leash) I let the other dogs retrieve the toys. Let the pup loose when the game has built excitement. The noise becomes irrelevant when the pup is looking for the tennis balls or bumpers to come flying out. Works for me. Have fun with your pup.