New e-collar

mcclinj

New e-collar

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Just received mt new Tri-Tronics Pro 200 G3 EXP and G3 Upland Beeper in the mail today, My father in law was kind enough to surprise me with it, after I relayed the story of my pup playing keep away with the bird last weekend. I must admit it was a pleasant surprise to open the door to a box from TT.

Other than being a bit overwhelmed and reading all the material, the only "problem" I have is that while my pup is just shy of 8 months old, and around 35lbs, she has a very small neck. Even with the collar pulled to the last hole, its still a bit too big.

Anybody have any advice for a method of putting extra holes in the collar and keeping it "pretty looking". Normally, I'd just poke a few extra holes, but my in-laws are coming to visit in a few weeks, and I don't want it to look ugly only a month after getting it. I dot think my FIL would really care, but since it was such an expensive gift, I don't wanna take any chances.

Also, while this model did not come with the DVD, I do have a DVD I got from a TT booth at a trade show earlier this summer. I can't seem to find where it mentions how long the pup should wear the collar before activating it. Opinions?

Thanks,

John

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: New e-collar

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 pm

You can buy leather whole punches pretty cheap Tandy Leather has them.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Heat up a large nail and push it through.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks, those are good ideas, the last collar I bought (non e-collar) I used a drill, but it left a fairly ratty hole.

-John

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Put a seatbelt wrap on it until she grows into it and you won't have to punch holes.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:36 pm

after I relayed the story of my pup playing keep away with the bird last weekend.
do you plan on giving the pup some juice with a bird in his mouth at this stage?

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 pm

No Brad,

But I think she does know what "here" means.....looking to reinforce obedience more than anything else right now. The only reason she had a bird was to lure her into the water. Been working on it exclusively for a week now.

I tried not to be too upset because she did have a bird, but at the same time, I don't wanna have her play keep away for 45 minutes anymore.

Casey, whats seatbelt wrap?

-John

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Ok Casey, I googled seat belt wrap....Do you mean just wrap around and use as a spacer?

-John

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:03 pm

ok, good. just wanted to make sure.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 pm

mcclinj wrote:Ok Casey, I googled seat belt wrap....Do you mean just wrap around and use as a spacer?

-John
Yep, that would be the plan.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 pm

mcclinj wrote:Just received mt new Tri-Tronics Pro 200 G3 EXP and G3 Upland Beeper in the mail today, My father in law was kind enough to surprise me with it, after I relayed the story of my pup playing keep away with the bird last weekend. I must admit it was a pleasant surprise to open the door to a box from TT.

Other than being a bit overwhelmed and reading all the material, the only "problem" I have is that while my pup is just shy of 8 months old, and around 35lbs, she has a very small neck. Even with the collar pulled to the last hole, its still a bit too big.

Anybody have any advice for a method of putting extra holes in the collar and keeping it "pretty looking". Normally, I'd just poke a few extra holes, but my in-laws are coming to visit in a few weeks, and I don't want it to look ugly only a month after getting it. I dot think my FIL would really care, but since it was such an expensive gift, I don't wanna take any chances.

Also, while this model did not come with the DVD, I do have a DVD I got from a TT booth at a trade show earlier this summer. I can't seem to find where it mentions how long the pup should wear the collar before activating it. Opinions?

Thanks,

John
Just to let you know I am a tri tronics supporter but for Pointing breeds I do not care for the video they have for prepping a Pointing dog for the e collar..

Here is a process I use for prepping dogs and teaching a point of contact ...As just wearing an e colllar does very little in prepping a dog for what the cue means..1 day one month they do not magically learn what the stimulation value means

here is something I wrote up to try and help give how I approach the e collar UNDERSTANDING THE E COLLAR CLICK HERE
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

larry

Post by larry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Not sure why you chose the Pro 200? I have always used the Pro 100 for pointing dogs, I like the larger range of continuos stimulation. Your colar has the large range of momentaty stimulation.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 pm

I didn't choose it Larry, I opened my door and found a box from Tri-Tronics.

-John

chicken19590

Post by chicken19590 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

My small britt 2 years old and 29.8 lbs wears her collar on the flank, has from day one at about 1 year old when with the trainer and this works well. She does get a few looks when we go to the dog park and I tell people that what she is wearing is a hearing aid! HELPS HER HEAR AND REMEMBER WHAT THE COMAND MEANS.

Tom

larry

Post by larry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:10 am

mcclinj wrote:I didn't choose it Larry, I opened my door and found a box from Tri-Tronics.

-John
John, TT is very good about exchanging collars. I know a couple of people that have gotten TT colars used them once or twice and decided they wanted a different model and TT exchanged them no charge.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

larry wrote:Not sure why you chose the Pro 200? I have always used the Pro 100 for pointing dogs, I like the larger range of continuos stimulation. Your colar has the large range of momentaty stimulation.
I've got a Pro 200 on the way, I tend to use momentary more. Think it depends a lot on the trainer/dog.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

larry wrote:
mcclinj wrote:I didn't choose it Larry, I opened my door and found a box from Tri-Tronics.

-John
John, TT is very good about exchanging collars. I know a couple of people that have gotten TT colars used them once or twice and decided they wanted a different model and TT exchanged them no charge.
his father in-law bought it for him as stated in the original post.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Actually, they are the same price and look the same, so FIL would never no the difference if he did decide he would rather have the pro 100. Just a thought.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:11 pm

I like more range in momentary too, I can see the other side of the coin tho....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:26 pm

I prefer the 100 myself if I want momentary I press and release need continuous pores and hold what I need and don't have a toggle switch getting in my way like the 500 does .

But price was right on that collar
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.