Dog Whines while swimming

trickyboarder540

Dog Whines while swimming

Post by trickyboarder540 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm

I got a chocolate lab that is about 7 months old right now, training has been going pretty good, being a beginner at this and all, taken a lot of pointers from some of the pros on here... One question though. My dog whines on the way back with his retrieve, not overwhelming, but you can definitely here him. Why is that? im not really concerned, he loves water and it doesn't affect his training. I thought it was because he was scared, but he will swim all day long and tread water a ways out looking at passing birds and playing...jw... thanks for the replys :D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Whines while swimming

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:38 pm

He's excited and anxious to make another retrieve.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:43 pm

That is interesting. I've been water training my 8 month old wpg and while he doesn't whine, he certainly is a sloppy retriever in that he does gulp some water. How do you stop this?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:56 pm

trickyboarder540 wrote:I got a chocolate lab that is about 7 months old right now, training has been going pretty good, being a beginner at this and all, taken a lot of pointers from some of the pros on here... One question though. My dog whines on the way back with his retrieve, not overwhelming, but you can definitely here him. Why is that? im not really concerned, he loves water and it doesn't affect his training. I thought it was because he was scared, but he will swim all day long and tread water a ways out looking at passing birds and playing...jw... thanks for the replys :D
My shorthair does the same thing..she almost whistles :D at first i thought she was hurt then i realized she is so excited and driven she cant contain herself :lol: its totally normal but if you waterfowl hunt put a stop to it cause you dont want him whining in the blind, during the retrieve its no big deal and it will stop with age.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:45 am

NJGriffNut wrote:That is interesting. I've been water training my 8 month old wpg and while he doesn't whine, he certainly is a sloppy retriever in that he does gulp some water. How do you stop this?
If you go through a forcing program and force them back in the water, you can stop it. Whenever he starts drinking on the way to the pile, burn him BACK.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 am

Gotta say I agree with your signature. The two things I love most in life. Hunting with dogs, and fly fishing.

As to my problem, what do you mean to force them back?

scenario- I throw the dummy, I give command fetch, he heads out. he grabs dummy and gulps water, I do what?

Send him back in the water without the dummy? Sorry, its just a new concept to me and I probably misunderstood what you meant.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm

NJgrifnut, I understood your problem was accidently taking on water while swiming. i believe gonehuntin was suggesting the electricity for a dog that stops on the way to the mark, for a drink of water. I am not sure you can train him to hold his head out of the water. maybe in the salt water he would learn not to take on water due to a quicker cause and effect.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Gotcha. I may have to look into training in some salt, as I really don't like the idea of him potentially getting sick from inhaling pond water on his retrieves. I am pretty careful where I train, but I do know that I've head of like blue-green algae mats killing dogs who ingested water in or around them.

I hope he grows out of it, either way.

trickyboarder540

Post by trickyboarder540 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
trickyboarder540 wrote:I got a chocolate lab that is about 7 months old right now, training has been going pretty good, being a beginner at this and all, taken a lot of pointers from some of the pros on here... One question though. My dog whines on the way back with his retrieve, not overwhelming, but you can definitely here him. Why is that? im not really concerned, he loves water and it doesn't affect his training. I thought it was because he was scared, but he will swim all day long and tread water a ways out looking at passing birds and playing...jw... thanks for the replys :D
My shorthair does the same thing..she almost whistles :D at first i thought she was hurt then i realized she is so excited and driven she cant contain herself :lol: its totally normal but if you waterfowl hunt put a stop to it cause you dont want him whining in the blind, during the retrieve its no big deal and it will stop with age.....ruth
Much appreciated, seems like more of a whistle to me now too, no worries, he doesn't do it on downed birds, only on on his way back with retrieves. I can live with th
at lol

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am

NJGriffNut wrote:Gotta say I agree with your signature. The two things I love most in life. Hunting with dogs, and fly fishing.

As to my problem, what do you mean to force them back?

scenario- I throw the dummy, I give command fetch, he heads out. he grabs dummy and gulps water, I do what?

Send him back in the water without the dummy? Sorry, its just a new concept to me and I probably misunderstood what you meant.
I've never seen a dog gulp water WHILE HOLDING A DUMMY. Should be impossible. You might try a larger dummy so he can't move his mouth.

Forcing Back is part of a total force fetch program. Both Evan Graham's and Fowl Dawgs are good programs to follow.

gsppurist

Post by gsppurist » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:16 pm

I have a German Shorthair that whines/barks on retrieves for ducks only. I think he is just excited to get the bird and can't move fast enough in the water. He was only one year old during the last season. Never a problem with quail/pheasant while training or hunting. I figure he will either grow out of it or I may have to attach a duck call to his mouth and get some use of all that noise.

TG

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:05 pm

I have a yellow lab who Whistles out his nose almost constantly. It gets alot louder when he is swimming. He also does it in the duck blind, so now i get to lean on him when ducks are coming. Usually people get a good laugh out of it.

trickyboarder540

Post by trickyboarder540 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm

deke wrote:I have a yellow lab who Whistles out his nose almost constantly. It gets alot louder when he is swimming. He also does it in the duck blind, so now i get to lean on him when ducks are coming. Usually people get a good laugh out of it.
Sounds like an awesome dog! Mines gonna be 10 months during his first season, its gonna be fun with him!