NJ Training Laws?

crazyboy

NJ Training Laws?

Post by crazyboy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 am

No firearms may be used outside of the prescribed hunting seasons for the training of
dogs. Starter pistols, dummies launchers and other noise making devices, which are not
capable of firing a projectile that could cause harm, may be used.
From the law in reference to training on WMA's. So I can't intro them to a shotgun until hunting season, only a blank pistol? Image

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: NJ Training Laws?

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am

crazyboy wrote:
No firearms may be used outside of the prescribed hunting seasons for the training of
dogs. Starter pistols, dummies launchers and other noise making devices, which are not
From the law in reference to training on WMA's. So I can't intro them to a shotgun until hunting season, only a blank pistol? Image
Not on state property you can't.

I never found that being limited to a blank pistol was much of a restriction. Gun noise when the bird is in flight...is gun noise. When my blank pistol failed to fire(which happend fairly often because it was a cheapie), I would clap my hands once.

You can control the amount of gun noise you make. You can buy different types of loads, from acorn crimps(which are a bit louder than a kid's cap pistol)all the way to black powder loads(which are nearly as loud as a .410) for a 22 blank pistol. There are 209 primer pistols and those shotgun primers are pretty loud. There are also .32 caliber blank guns out there and they have a VERY loud report.

There is no law against going to a private club and doing what you wish on provate ground, or in a few weeks when the preserve season opens, going to a licensed shooting preserve to do what you want to do.

Training on state land is free. Free usually means you do it THEIR way.

Let me ask you this: Would you really want thirty or forty folks out there "training" with shotguns and live ammo when you are trying to train your dog?

FWIW, there is NO way I would take a young dog that hasn't been thouroughly conditioned to VOLUMES of gunfire, anywhere near a NJ WMA on a stock morning. Some of those places at sunrise, remind me of civil war reenactments, skirmish lines lines and all.

RayG

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Talk to the people at the delval chapter of navhda they may be able to help you they are running a test this weekend on state land near great adventure post this on versatile dog forum also

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:51 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
crazyboy wrote:
Not on state property you can't.

I never found that being limited to a blank pistol was much of a restriction. Gun noise when the bird is in flight...is gun noise. When my blank pistol failed to fire(which happend fairly often because it was a cheapie), I would clap my hands once.

You can control the amount of gun noise you make. You can buy different types of loads, from acorn crimps(which are a bit louder than a kid's cap pistol)all the way to black powder loads(which are nearly as loud as a .410) for a 22 blank pistol. There are 209 primer pistols and those shotgun primers are pretty loud. There are also .32 caliber blank guns out there and they have a VERY loud report.

There is no law against going to a private club and doing what you wish on provate ground, or in a few weeks when the preserve season opens, going to a licensed shooting preserve to do what you want to do.

Training on state land is free. Free usually means you do it THEIR way.

Let me ask you this: Would you really want thirty or forty folks out there "training" with shotguns and live ammo when you are trying to train your dog?

FWIW, there is NO way I would take a young dog that hasn't been thouroughly conditioned to VOLUMES of gunfire, anywhere near a NJ WMA on a stock morning. Some of those places at sunrise, remind me of civil war reenactments, skirmish lines lines and all.

RayG
Thanks, I'm not really viewing it as a restriction just another weird rule. I guess you're right with the people running around, I was thinking of blank loads, but with these crazies there would be no trusting that's what they have. Lastly, I agree with you on a stock morning, it is pure chaos, especially opening day. Need to hope for leftovers on non stock days.

Talk to the people at the delval chapter of navhda they may be able to help you they are running a test this weekend on state land near great adventure post this on versatile dog forum also
Thanks, I am a member I just decided to check here as well.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:33 pm

The only way you can legally shoot game birds out of season is with a field trial permit issued by the state. Field trial permits are not issued to individuals. All Del Val training clinics are run under a DF&W field trial permit.

Here's the rules: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/dogtrainrules.pdf

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 pm

New Jersey is a lost cause :D Give it completely over to the anti's so when the big match starts we know where to go looking for the animal rights wackaloons 8) Be an interesting experiment and they can see how their agendas work out.

Also Judging by PeeYaa's kennel laws Jerseyans will at least have a neighbor in crime.........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:54 pm

birddog1968 wrote:New Jersey is a lost cause :D Give it completely over to the anti's so when the big match starts we know where to go looking for the animal rights wackaloons 8) Be an interesting experiment and they can see how their agendas work out.

Also Judging by PeeYaa's kennel laws Jerseyans will at least have a neighbor in crime.........

Actually NJ is one of the few states that has recognized the value of the upland hunter and is willing to support them. They have a viable put and take stocking program for pheasant and a decent program for quail. NJ has multiple training areas designated in WMA's from north to south providing access to free training grounds for just about anyone in the state who is willing to drive an hour, often less than that. They have several state areas where shotgun target practices and muzzleloader target practicxe may be carried out. When I lived in central NJ, I was within an hour and a half of Clinton, Black River, Assunpink, Colliers Mills, Greenwood Forest Whittington, Manasquan and a couple other WMA's which totalled over50,000 acres of state land I could train on, for free, most of it on horseback if I chose.

NJ has THREE state owned areas where field trials may be run and a couple of other areas where Navhda training and hunt tests can be conducted. There are some states that are FAR larger that cannot say that.

Most states cater to the deer and turkey hunters and that is about it. Deer and turkey do not require the intensive land management that upland game does and deer and turkey hunters are not shy about buying licenses and tags and such. There is a much larger return from deer and turkey hunters than from upland game hunters.

You can pick on NJ for a lot of things...and you might be right. However, for such a densely populated, urbanized state, they really do a pretty decent job of providing sport hunting opportunities for their population.

RayG

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 pm

crazyboy -

FWIW, I hunted the stock days for many years when I lived in NJ. I would generally start out down south in either Greenwood Forest or Peaslee for quail in the morning and head back north around noon. Many of the WMA's where pheasants were stocked had emptied out by then. I would often hunt Assunpink or Clinton, occasionally Black River in the afternoon and have a great hunt with only a very few other hunters in the field. The bag limit was two pheasants and hunting for them in the afternoon meant the dogs and I had to actually cover some ground and maybe get into some gnarly stuff to get birds.

RayG

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Before this discussion gets too far afield, you can buy shotgun blanks from LCS and Steve Snell that are as loud as a real load.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Scott Linden wrote:Before this discussion gets too far afield, you can buy shotgun blanks from LCS and Steve Snell that are as loud as a real load.
According to the OP you could not use those, the weapon can not be capable of shooting actual shells.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:38 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:New Jersey is a lost cause :D Give it completely over to the anti's so when the big match starts we know where to go looking for the animal rights wackaloons 8) Be an interesting experiment and they can see how their agendas work out.

Actually NJ is one of the few states that has recognized the value of the upland hunter and is willing to support them. They have a viable put and take stocking program for pheasant and a decent program for quail. NJ has multiple training areas designated in WMA's from north to south providing access to free training grounds for just about anyone in the state who is willing to drive an hour, often less than that. They have several state areas where shotgun target practices and muzzleloader target practicxe may be carried out. When I lived in central NJ, I was within an hour and a half of Clinton, Black River, Assunpink, Colliers Mills, Greenwood Forest Whittington, Manasquan and a couple other WMA's which totalled over50,000 acres of state land I could train on, for free, most of it on horseback if I chose.

NJ has THREE state owned areas where field trials may be run and a couple of other areas where Navhda training and hunt tests can be conducted. There are some states that are FAR larger that cannot say that.

Most states cater to the deer and turkey hunters and that is about it. Deer and turkey do not require the intensive land management that upland game does and deer and turkey hunters are not shy about buying licenses and tags and such. There is a much larger return from deer and turkey hunters than from upland game hunters.

You can pick on NJ for a lot of things...and you might be right. However, for such a densely populated, urbanized state, they really do a pretty decent job of providing sport hunting opportunities for their population.

RayG
Agreed, you have listed many of the benefits. Where else can you go 30 minutes one way and be in the ocean catching record fish and go 30 minutes the other direction and be hunting all this game.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:31 pm

NJ has the best pheasant breeding/stocking programs in the Northeast. The birds are strong fliers, and hold well for pointing dogs. I've had several roosters flush over the water at Clinton WMA and go all the way across the reservoir - when I checked afterwards on Google earth in each case the birds flew between 1/4 & almost 1/2 of a mile, depending on where they landed. That's a long way for a pen raised bird! The state doesn't raise their own quail anymore, and where they buy them from I don't know. In the last year or so the quail have been awful, and I don't think I'll go down to Greenwood again. There are guys who are there regularly who are more concerned with killing than hunting. While these jerks might only be 1% of the people that hunt there, they ruin it for everyone.

Yeah when you really think about it NJ is a pretty good place to live if you like to hunt and fish. And the worst - our gun laws suck. If it wasn't for that and the outrageous property taxes, it would be a much better place to live.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 pm

RayGubernat wrote:crazyboy -

FWIW, I hunted the stock days for many years when I lived in NJ. I would generally start out down south in either Greenwood Forest or Peaslee for quail in the morning and head back north around noon. Many of the WMA's where pheasants were stocked had emptied out by then. I would often hunt Assunpink or Clinton, occasionally Black River in the afternoon and have a great hunt with only a very few other hunters in the field. The bag limit was two pheasants and hunting for them in the afternoon meant the dogs and I had to actually cover some ground and maybe get into some gnarly stuff to get birds.

RayG
Agreed everyone wipes out the front fields and leaves by 11. Head further into the WMA and you just may find some that flew away.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:59 pm

nikegundog wrote:
Scott Linden wrote:Before this discussion gets too far afield, you can buy shotgun blanks from LCS and Steve Snell that are as loud as a real load.
According to the OP you could not use those, the weapon can not be capable of shooting actual shells.
You are ccorrect, only a blank gun. No blank ammo in a firearm as the firearm is still capable of firing a projectile.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:32 pm

crazyboy wrote: Agreed, you have listed many of the benefits. Where else can you go 30 minutes one way and be in the ocean catching record fish and go 30 minutes the other direction and be hunting all this game.
Alaska! :D

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 pm

dreamerofdreams wrote:
crazyboy wrote: Agreed, you have listed many of the benefits. Where else can you go 30 minutes one way and be in the ocean catching record fish and go 30 minutes the other direction and be hunting all this game.
Alaska! :D
Sounds cold :P