Different Retrieving Problem

xBean

Different Retrieving Problem

Post by xBean » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I have an interesting problem that I have never seen before. I have a 6 year old Shorthair that is steady to wing and shot. After he is sent for the retrieve, he goes directly to his mark, but will not return the bird. OK, so put him on the bench and force break him, right? Well here's where it gets interesting... If I throw something for him (tennis ball, frozen bird, retrieving dummy, anything) on the driveway or in the house, he returns it directly to hand and will continue to do so until your arm tires out. If the same item is thrown into the grass, he will go to the item, but refuses to pick it up. I'm at a loss. I've been training Shorthairs for years and have never come across this. I've also approached two trainers and stumped them to. Does anyone have ideas as to the problem or how to correct it?

Coveyrise64

Re: Different Retrieving Problem

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:32 pm

xBean wrote:I have an interesting problem that I have never seen before. I have a 6 year old Shorthair that is steady to wing and shot. After he is sent for the retrieve, he goes directly to his mark, but will not return the bird. OK, so put him on the bench and force break him, right? Well here's where it gets interesting... If I throw something for him (tennis ball, frozen bird, retrieving dummy, anything) on the driveway or in the house, he returns it directly to hand and will continue to do so until your arm tires out. If the same item is thrown into the grass, he will go to the item, but refuses to pick it up. I'm at a loss. I've been training Shorthairs for years and have never come across this. I've also approached two trainers and stumped them to. Does anyone have ideas as to the problem or how to correct it?
Finish the FF with an overlay of the e-collar. A dog with no options is a happier dog.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:26 pm

That would probably work but, did you finish the ff with a fresh killed bird? If so, after you finished up did you take him to the ground and start over? Doesn't sound like it. Finish the ff.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

xBean

Post by xBean » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 pm

I appreciate the quick posts. I think I might not have been clear in my problem. I do not have a problem with a dog that will not retrieve. The problem that I am having is that he will not retrieve from the grass. If I throw anything for him (frozen bird, fresh bird, retrieving dummy, hat, etc...) on the pavement, it's like he's on a string. Straight to the target and back. The problem that comes up is when he is in grass. Could be in my back yard or in the field, but once the target is in grass, he will not pick it up. He simply stands over it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 pm

That would be THE classic time to nick him with a collar and command FETCH! ....IF he were force broken on the ecollar.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:00 pm

no matter if it was ear toe or collar the fetch/dead command should elicit the desired response if he was fully FF'd.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:21 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:That would be THE classic time to nick him with a collar and command FETCH! ....IF he were force broken on the ecollar.

Di he ever get bitten by a bee in the grass? That's all it might take.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Is there poop in the grass? Have you tried throwing stuff in grass thats not your yard?
brenda

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 pm

In my FF training, I always go to the grass with my ear pinch after the dog understands it on the bench completely. Once the dog will retrieve from the grass from the ear pinch alone I overlay the collar. I believe the dog may be missing a link to help him put it all together. I have even seen dogs have trouble at first from my yard in the grass to a different location in the grass.

Good Luck
Timmy Suggs
Last edited by Carolina Gundogs on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I got the impression he is not FF"ed?
brenda

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Just curious, but will this dog pick up a high value food item like a piece of hotdog from the grass?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 am

Sharon wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:That would be THE classic time to nick him with a collar and command FETCH! ....IF he were force broken on the ecollar.

Di he ever get bitten by a bee in the grass? That's all it might take.
Story time. I was running a chessie in a retriever field trial in Utah. I had NEVER had a dog refuse to pick up a bird in a trial. This was a derby stake. "Chipper" was doing great as we entered the third series, a long land double. He nailed the first bird, drilled a straight line to the second bird, reached down, and wouldn't pick it up. I had to pick him up.

I was mystified, not to mention furious with the dog. I got back to the truck, drove off grounds and had a short and not so sweet lesson in picking up stinking ducks.

We went back to the trial grounds and at lunch the bird boy from the gunning station the chessie failed the test on, walked up to me and said "Do you know why your dog didn't pick up that bird?", I said no, do tell, prepared for another discourse in training philosophies. He said "That bird I threw landed right on a hornet's nest. When Chipper grabbed the bird, they stung his nose." I looked at him incredulously and said "Why the heck didn't you tell the judges?" He said he figured it was none of his business. Sheeeesh.

Point is that even after being stung by hornets, that dog picked up every bird thrown for him from that day on.

That's what a correctly and thoroughly force fetched dog does. There ain't no excuses.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:25 am

FF the dog

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 am

Had two kind of that way. One exactly and very stubborn about it. The other just was "bleep" around with the bird.
Just curious but what if:
After the shot or toss and the dog is standing over the object, turn your back to him, looking over your shoulder walk away. What does he do?

Mine picked it up and came to me. I turned around and loved her up. Just happened last night. I am going to do a few more times to see if that will be it. Probably not. :roll: I know this is not cure but who knows, maybe it will be. Certainly can not do that in a trial or duck blind.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick