Will this work to help with retrieve?

Onk

Will this work to help with retrieve?

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

I took the wings from the chuckars we shot the other day and taped them to my pups retrieving knobby dummy. Every time I throw it I'm telling him dead bird and fetch up.....this worked 8 out of 10 times with praise and a small treat give with each retrieve. The two he did not retrieve were the last two throws, thats when he decided it was fit for a chew toy. I know 8 or 10 times might be too much at one time, but will this method work? In the field the other day he retrieve 2 or 3 of the 14 birds shot. Not bad for 10 months old, just want to do what I can here at home to make him better in the field.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Will this work to help with retrieve?

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:42 pm

I don't believe the wings make any difference at all. You got 8 or 10 good retrieves out of him and HE quit. Get two or three and leave him wanting!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:44 pm

DonF wrote:I don't believe the wings make any difference at all. You got 8 or 10 good retrieves out of him and HE quit. Get two or three and leave him wanting!
+1

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:48 pm

The wings just seem to excite the heck out of him and he is more eager to retrieve!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Your pup is still young. You should have him on a check cord. I agree that you should cut down the number of retrieves but it should not be left up to him whether he retrieves or not. if you throw it, the pup should retrieve every time. Even if you have to give him a little tug to remind him of his duties.

Joe

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Also, cut out the treats. Just give alot of lovin. You don't want to have to carry a pocket full of treats every time you go in the field.

Joe

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 pm

I thought the treats might kind of be a mistake Joe! When we work on this he is dragging his CC, I most often don't even hold it...only if he starts having ideas other than mine going thru his mind!

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Ditto.
Living large in the Southwest.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 am

I sometimes do attach wings to dummies but if the dog is going to mess about chewing on the wings I take them off again. My more usual way of accustoming a dog to picking feathered game is to put the bird inside a section of ladies tights knotted at both ends to form a compact bundle. The dog can get the feel of the bird and the scent of the bird without the feathers distracting it. When the dog is retrieving that O.K. I begin cutting holes in the tights ,one hole at a time, then pulling the head, a wing and the legs outside of the main bundle.

I set out to do this not long ago with a springer pup I was training but unknown to me I'd dropped one of the partridges as I walked with the dog to the training area. When I got there and looked down she was carrying the partridge, saved me a bit of time that did ! :roll:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:57 am

Taping the wings to a bumper is OK once in a while, but I want that dog building retrieving desire as well as bird desire. Sometimes, if they handle feathers too much, they lose all interest in bumpers.

I use the feathered bumpers more as a treat to the pup, not an everyday deal.

I would NEVER throw 10 retrieves for a pup, that's insane. Three to four is plenty.

Keep a cc on the pup at all times so he can't take off with the bumper or bird.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:55 am

It sounds like you are on the right path. I think everyone who trains goes through the same issue. It is hard to stop yourself when you are training. I am currently working on pigeons and launchers right now to get Kona to stop and point. I am working with two launchers and when we are done with two. I put them away, but man it sucks and I want to put up more. Patience is the key. You could play fetch for 3 in the morning and 3 to 4 inthe evening. i used to use the wing just to get them started. I changed up what it was the pup retrieved. Once the pup got the idea real good and brought back anything I threw, I would start using a small bristle brush. This kept them soft on the retrieve. Never had a hard mouth dog.

Joe

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 am

Yep agree 10 times was way over board

a couple times leave them wanting more...Next time just throw it once wait a couple hours and then again throw it once...have control on him a check cord is of little value if you do not have a hold of it for your follow through

reason I say only throw it once ...you want to set up a good routine of toss get it come back.....end on that note...every time you throw it and he doesn't retrieve it you are setting up for him to learn he doesn't have to retrieve

Are you planning on taking dexter back to Kevin for some adult training? if so..Call or email Kevin and ask him what he wants you to do so you keep dexter more on the same page as Kevin works and not make more work for Kevin :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:33 am

Planning on it Arlette, I think/know this dog is smarter than I am. Having a blast since he has been home, Kevin turned him into a bird lover for sure!