Puppy has PARVOVIRUS HELP!!

spanielgundog0305

Puppy has PARVOVIRUS HELP!!

Post by spanielgundog0305 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:52 pm

14 week old springer spaniel has Provo! Anyone has any experience with this?

lglover241

Re: Puppy has PARVOVIRUS HELP!!

Post by lglover241 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 pm

You should have had him vaccinated already! It might be too late!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Learn how to give subcutaneous fluids. Keeping him hydrated is your number one priority. They can go downhill very, very fast. A pup in good shape and your pup's age should have a good chance at making it. Work with your vet and keep on top of things as best you can.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Duke got it at about 10 mos. Vet wouldn't let him the clinic unless I was leaving him and then in a different door. Cost $800 to leave him, $400 to take him home, I took him home. He got subcatenous fluid twice a day and I think it was three different shot's. He layed on the couch in my livingroom about four days, more dead than alive, till I was pretty sure he was going to be alright. The last ugly thing to happen was he pass a huge amount of blood in his stool when he started eating again. Dr said with Parvo the intestines sluice off and that was the stuff that came out. If you can afford it, let the vet have him, that was about the most horrible week min my life. I kept expecting him to be gone when I got away from him. So, I did chores in the morning and evening and spent the rest of the day with him. Squirt and Bodie really took it well.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Susie

Post by Susie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:38 pm

spanielgundog0305 wrote:14 week old springer spaniel has Provo! Anyone has any experience with this?
I had a litter of seven, seven week old pups come own with Parvo so, I have a little experience. I had several that only spent one day hospitalized, a couple that spent several days at the vet and one who we ended up doing blood transfusions...they all made it at the tune of $6500 bucks. I assume the pup has been diagnosed by a Vet? What has the vet prescribed and how is the pup acting?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:51 pm

I hope your dog was already at the vet by the time you posted this, otherwise you're wasting a ton of time. Even when caught early pups don't always make it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:56 pm

At the one set what ever Pepto Bismal you can get down the pup will help coat the intestines..
Get to the vet
vet charges vary drastically from vet to vet
BUT Puppy needs antibiotics and Fluids and something to help keep the tummy from being overly upset
Once the pup has held down food and water for over 24 hours they will generally send pup home

AT this time you want to keep pup in smaller area to keep poop and urine where it can be cleaned up..Where a short sleeve shirts so when you are done feeding and cleaning your pup and his area you can use bleach wipes and wipe your hands and arms.

It happens then 3 weeks after the last signs then get his next shot

Good luck

spanielgundog0305

Post by spanielgundog0305 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks guys for all the info. She caught it from our 7 week old blue tick who died this norning. My spaniel piper is her name is keeping fluids down for about 6 hours now and will start a iv tomorrow keep her in your prayers please..

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:16 pm

spanielgundog0305 wrote:Thanks guys for all the info. She caught it from our 7 week old blue tick who died this norning. My spaniel piper is her name is keeping fluids down for about 6 hours now and will start a iv tomorrow keep her in your prayers please..
I have no experience nor help to offer. So sorry you already lost a pup and are going through this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Piper.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:31 pm

TamiFlu works if the vet can get it. Protocol should be searchable. I will say that every case I've heard of, BARLEY baby cereal was an excellent reintroduction to solid food. It contains an amino acid that strengthens the stomach.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 pm

We had a pit bull with this virus when we first got him from the shelter. He was given a 30% chance to live but he made it. Caught early it can be treated but it is expensive. Good luck with your puppy. I hope he is ok.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:37 am

God I hope this doesn't come across wrong. When I raised pup's I always gave the first shot at 6 weeks. Then another at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. I had lost a Lab pup I really liked years ago and I don't take any chances with it.

When Duke had it, I didn';t have to worry about getting him out the first few days. He was on the couch and had eaten nothing and drank nothing, he wouldn't have gotten up if I helped him. Very hard thing to watch! The little guy just laid there on the couch for three days asleep and not moving at all. I do not envy you if you take your pup home. The only good thing from taking Duke home is I wasn't constently on the phone with the vet to see how he was doing. Not knowing whats happening is, to me, almost as bad as just losing one.

The fluid comes in a plastic bag and is called "lactated ringers". I still have Duke's last bag hanging on the lamp I hung it on to put it in him. Something I never want to forget!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

nooblet

Post by nooblet » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:18 pm

When my pup got it she was 4 months old. She had both of her shots for Parvo but apparently there are strains now that can get around it (there's also an argument that it takes until the pup is 6 months old for the vaccines to truely take effect - that's why that whole "6 month" window thing exists).

Anyway, good luck to you. Chelsea almost died. She spent 10 days in the ICU and had to have numerous transfusions. The vets were suprised she made it. Total cost was about $10,000. I had to sell a car...

Thankfully, she's a great pointer and a strong duck dog. She has a lot more retrieves in her before she gets me back that 10k ;)

On another note, she still has a weak digestive system... Anything at all goes wrong and we put her on a bland diet for a week or so.

noob

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:00 pm

How is your pup?
brenda

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Any update?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle